Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi ever one. this build will take me all winter. so I will be updating it . I like 1600 motors because no one wants to build them .lol I like to keep things simple. and use a lot of vw stock parts. because there cheap well some times they are lol. well here we go and as frank used to sing this song.I DID IT MY WAY . and I am sure others wont agree .on some of the things I will be doing .but that's how samba is. ask evert . I BOUGHT A AIR CLEANER at a swap meet for $20.00. I gutted it and bought a used paper filter for $3.00. I cut the intake end off for more air to the carb . I also opened up the stack for more air flow to the carb. I like this vw air cleaner because I can adjust the amount of hot pre head air to the carb .for better mpg works for me . it took me 2 1/2 hours to make the air cleaner . the carb I bought at a swap meet for $15.00 a rebuild kit for $20.00. new jet was $5.00. I used a 130 main to start with. I had a 70 z air jet. I like the 170z air jet. I pluged the air shut off valve. that keeps the motor from running on . when you turn off the motor ..on the dizy (ok I don't want any feed back on calling it a dizy lol) I say it my way lol .back to the dizy. its a auto stick part number 0231170034 vw043905205 it came on a auto stick motor. that I also am using for my 1600 build . at a swap meet I bought a german 009 parts dizy for $10.00.i like the german 009 .it has a better advance curve. I took the the parts from the 009 and put them into the auto stick dizy . I limited the amount of the advance on the oo9 to 10 deges intl all in buy 30 degs. I will let the vac. advance fall were it falls lol this took me 2 hours to do the work on the dizy. I have done this be for and I like the power it puts out .and there is no flat spots when you push on the gas pedal . like some 009 do. more to come spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

more update on 1600 motor build. the intake manifold is a stock dual port intake I got at a swap meet for $25.00. the cam I got for $75.00 brand new lifters for $35.00 new. I like a stock cam for mpg and its very street friendly . the heavy pully. I bought for $25.00 .it helps for mpg .and helps to keep the motor alive when I shift at 5,000 rpm. yes a stock cam will go to 5,000 rpm. I have done it many times the heads are off of . my 1970 auto stick motor .I bough for $200.00. because most auto stick motors never had the crap beat out of them . this one was like new stock mains where not beat out .case was like new on the inside . the heads I rebuilt new guids new high rev springs retainers .mild port clean up all new valves. I like single port heads for the street . my cost for parts $80.00. I had a lot of the parts for heads . that I bought at swap meet .at a lot of shops this would have cost over $200.00 to do . later on I am going to fly cut the heads for 9:1 cr. that will cost $40.00 spencerfvee

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi more update the trans I am building for the 1600 build is a old drag race trans parts I had. all close rastio parts are brand new . its a 378 1st gear 221 2nd gear 148 3rd gear and a 894th gear the forth gear wil be a 1:00 later on the ring gear is a 388 the cost now I don't know I bought these 7 years ago I for got what they cost I will drag race this 1600 motor 1/8 mile and drive it on the street it will be a all around motor I hope lol who care its fun to try something different . just having fun spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi these are a set of carbs I want to try on my 1600 build I got the carbs and manifolds at a swap meet. they came with two rebuild kits for $80.00 .I bought a scat linkage for $80.00. the carbs are off of a type 3 motor. the air cleaners I bought for $16.00 it took me 4 hours to build this set of carbs I also opend the chokes up to 24mm spencerfvee

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi these are a set of carbs I want to try on my 1600 build I got the carbs and manifolds at a swap meet. they came with two rebuild kits for $80.00 .I bought a scat linkage for $80.00. the carbs are off of a type 3 motor. the air cleaners I bought for $16.00 it took me 4 hours to build this set of carbs I also opend the chokes up to 24mm spencerfvee

Sweet
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one just got my case back from the shop. I cleaned the case .witch is a 1970 case it was a low milage auto stick case. it did not need to be line bored. it takes stock main and stock rod bearings .I installed case savers so the heads would not pull the head studs out. these 50+ year cases do that a lot. I cut the case for a sand seal .because the pulley I have was a sand seal pullyy .I drilled and taped all the oil plugs in the case for pipe thread. I can full flow the case now if I want to . the crank miked out to be right on the money same with the rods this motor did have many miles on it . that's for sure. I just cleaned the crank and rods and installed the cam gear and the race spacer. by scat on the crank. I installed the dizy gear .on the crank I will use two spit bearings on two of the case saddles what ever the hell you call them lol I just cant blive how nice this case is and cranks and rods spencerfvee

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

How did you clean the case? It looks really grit free.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
How did you clean the case? It looks really grit free. I had a guy blast it for me I think he used soda powder not sure but it cleaned up good spencerfvee
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Popcorn

I’m always up for a milage stock sized engine. Jim liked to use Crowers 61002 cam on stock SP, and DP engines. I’d do a small bump in compression to 8.2-8.5:1, and get the deck height down around .040.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

9:1 compression goal with a stock cam? What gas are you feeding this engine?
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Heeeeyyy Spencer's back! Welcome back! I am subscribed!

-Frank
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Stock 1600SP, stock cam, stock heads, single carb and shifting at 5K? You must really enjoy wasting time. That engine will virtually flat line at about 3800 to 4000 rpm. Even a stock DP 1600 struggles to make any usable power above 4300.

I have owned and driven stock VWs of all descriptions for the first 1/2 of my driving life so I know where the bears poop in the buckbrush on this one!

By the way I see nothing wrong with 9/1 CR on 87 octane fuel with the right mixture and timing. Definitely the way to go for his goals. I deeply regret stopping at 8.4 (I was advised by people here to not go above 7.4) on my engine. I have to go pretty radical on the timing to hear a ping. It takes 18*+ initial to do it on 87 octane.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Stock 1600SP, stock cam, stock heads, single carb and shifting at 5K? You must really enjoy wasting time. That engine will virtually flat line at about 3800 to 4000 rpm. Even a stock DP 1600 struggles to make any usable power above 4300.

I have owned and driven stock VWs of all descriptions for the first 1/2 of my driving life so I know where the bears poop in the buckbrush on this one!

By the way I see nothing wrong with 9/1 CR on 87 octane fuel with the right mixture and timing. Definitely the way to go for his goals. I deeply regret stopping at 8.4 (I was advised by people here to not go above 7.4) on my engine. I have to go pretty radical on the timing to hear a ping. It takes 18*+ initial to do it on 87 octane.
I have been racing vws since 1969 .I raced a lot of stock cam vw s hitting 5,000 rpm no big deal . with the right gearing . not true a stock vw cam runs out of power at 4.500 rpm .you missed the whole point of this build . most of the time this motor will be on the street mpg build got it . I will race 1/8 mile on week ends . I have built a lot of vw motors for the street with 9to 1 CR and 9 1/2 CR did you ever hear about 93 Ot. gas its sold every where look into it. you need to buy a good vw book on how to tune a stock vw motor . you must have been driving tired motors .that need rebuilt for years .the only person wasting time is you posting on this forum .go mess with some else on samba with your BS spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Ya, whatever...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

Hmm...., I missed that part. It will be interesting to see what happens. That will be a lot of cylinder pressure. Jim had a customer that had to have 9.0:1 in a 1776 with CB’s 2280 cam, and it pinged on 93 octane with 30 degrees timing of an 009. I ran 9.4 with the Super’s 1776, but that was with quite a bit of chamber work, and a Crower 61004 that’s a little bigger than an Engle W110.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Popcorn

I’m always up for a milage stock sized engine. Jim liked to use Crowers 61002 cam on stock SP, and DP engines. I’d do a small bump in compression to 8.2-8.5:1, and get the deck height down around .040.
yes your right on the CR I like about 9to1 CR I have run 9 1/2 with 93OT gas with the right main jet+
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Hmm...., I missed that part. It will be interesting to see what happens. That will be a lot of cylinder pressure. Jim had a customer that had to have 9.0:1 in a 1776 with CB’s 2280 cam, and it pinged on 93 octane with 30 degrees timing of an 009. I ran 9.4 with the Super’s 1776, but that was with quite a bit of chamber work, and a Crower 61004 that’s a little bigger than an Engle W110.
oh darn your right I ran highly ported heads on the street with 9to 1 cr that can make a big different . its funny some motors run 9to1 and ping on 93OT gas.. some don't. most of my motors. I have built over the years with 9to1CR.i ran a bigger main jet than needed for the street after talking to you I will run 8 1/2 CR . so how have you been? are you building any thing this winter ? spencerfvee

Last edited by spencerfvee on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Heeeeyyy Spencer's back! Welcome back! I am subscribed!

-Frank
high frank how have you been ? all ways nice talking to you spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
93OT gas works for me
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi I just got the sheet metal done .what a job . my 1970 bug is going to get this motor so I am using all 1970 bug fan housing . a lot of people don't use the flaps . on the fan housing . I do because it helps cool the motor .my thinking is a lot of vw motors run hot because they don't use the flaps . my thinking is it puts more air on the heads to keep the heads from running hot . I think that's why a lot of motors cant run 91/2 to 1 cr . I also like the fast warm up of the motor .when the flaps are closed . this is over looked by a lot of people . I cant tell how many times I see vw motors that don't run the flaps on there fan housings .I feal that if they work . VW would have not put them on the fan housing . and I am sure theres going to be a feed back of this lol just my two cents . take it or leave it .when I started this build I wanted to use as many stock parts as I could . there are a lot of people out there that don't have a lot of money to build a big buck motor .I wanted people to see that you can take a stock motor and get more hp out of it . .most people will use a dual port motor for there build . my motor wont have all stock parts on it . and people wont build a $1,000+ trans like I am .. if you build a motor do it right the first time . take care ever one and thanks for looking spencerfvee

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: