Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a new set of red accordion boots for wiper arms. If I can find them I'll let you know and you can have them if you want. I think they would be perfect for that car. Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Somewhere I have a new set of red accordion boots for wiper arms. If I can find them I'll let you know and you can have them if you want. I think they would be perfect for that car. Dancing
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................hi that would be super .let me know how much you want for them . i think i saw them in the 1970s or 1980s i think they used them on ralley cars. not sure. that was nice of you .vw people are the best thanks spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................hi that would be super .let me know how much you want for them . i think i saw them in the 1970s or 1980s i think they used them on ralley cars. not sure. that was nice of you .vw people are the best thanks spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
SBD wrote:
I did some digging but haven't found them yet. I did find a new red emergency brake boot! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
SBD wrote:
I did some digging but haven't found them yet. I did find a new red emergency brake boot! Very Happy
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................hi thats ok. if you find it great. if you dont find it thats ok . thanks for looking spencerfvee
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Hey Spencer, I know you are really into the Salzburg team rally cars, and figured you could appreciate this. I'm considering modifying an OEM VW doghouse shroud to the same style that they used. I heard through a few Facebook posts that James Calvert at Stateside tuning in the UK had an original Salzburg car, and I requested a few pictures of the shroud. He very kindly took these photos for me. Interesting to note that they all ran the original thermostat and flaps in the engines.

Here are three pictures of an honest-to-goodness original-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the fairly sloppy acetylene gas welds (BECAUSE RACECAR Laughing ) but you can see how they did the angles and cuts fairly well. I hope to make up my own replica to run on my 73 Super Beetle at some point. I'll take some artistic liscense and clean the welds a bit better, and get the heater outlets a little more even, though Smile

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Hey Spencer, I know you are really into the Salzburg team rally cars, and figured you could appreciate this. I'm considering modifying an OEM VW doghouse shroud to the same style that they used. I heard through a few Facebook posts that James Calvert at Stateside tuning in the UK had an original Salzburg car, and I requested a few pictures of the shroud. He very kindly took these photos for me. Interesting to note that they all ran the original thermostat and flaps in the engines.

Here are three pictures of an honest-to-goodness original-

Note the fairly sloppy acetylene gas welds (BECAUSE RACECAR Laughing ) but you can see how they did the angles and cuts fairly well. I hope to make up my own replica to run on my 73 Super Beetle at some point. I'll take some artistic liscense and clean the welds a bit better, and get the heater outlets a little more even, though Smile
.............................................................................................................................thanks for the post .very cool looking fan houseing your right they just cut and welded fan houseing they did no clean up on the welds .i have all ways loved the salzburg team ralley bugs thanks for the post you made my day keep safe spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi heres some salzburg ralley team bugs. for those that dont know what they looked like thanks for looking spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one. i have been sick for 33 days .with a bad bad head cold .lots of pills and doing nothing i watched every john wayne movie he ever made being sick sucks lol . today it was 78 degs out here in ohio .so i worked on the ralley bug .i told you guys i was not going to use the EMPI bars . well 3hrs 30 mins later they were installed. what a job . i cut the bumper brakets on both sides of the bug .i dont know what kind of steel they used to make the bumper brakets with. but i went through 4 cuting disks . all i can say is the EMPI bars are junk .they did not fit right at all . i had to make shims .i had to use washers . well there on the bug is all i have to say .and dont buy them .i installed the typ 4 axles .they worked out just fine i all so installed the hold down pin and the rubber hold down . that worked out super .ever bone in my body hurts lol oh god it sucks to be old lol lol take care be safe spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one .i spent the day working on the ralley bug . i got tahe brake lines hooked up the eng. brake cables on put the brake pads on . got the two rear fenders on and started to install the running board but had to call it a day because in gets dark at 5:00 here in ohio be safe thanks for looking spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one .after 2 hours i got the rear bumper on to me it looked like a easy job boy was i wrong . fri day 13 lol .and i got the rear lights on .there was a other pain in the butt. i went on samba to see where the wires go on a 1974 bug rear light .well i could not make out any thing on where the wires went on that technical forum . so off to a vw junk yard found a bug that had the rear lights like mine .took a light apart . found out where each wire went what day .lol after all the work i took a long look at my car and said to my self thats a dam good looking bug lol spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

sorry guys i for got to post the back up light for ralley racing .for racing at night one can back up with out hitting other ralley cars and they can see the light . spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one . update. i am getting the motor done . i got the cyls and heads on the case its starting to look like a motor. . i set up the dual empi 40s with scat push pull linkage .what a great set up .much better than the empi linage .i bought a set of old school intake manifolds. that were made just for the 40 empi carbs i allso liked the 1"shorted intake manifolds . .in my book one size intake manifold does not fit all carbs . .because empi intake manifolds that came with the empi kit. were for a 48 idf carbs(if i was going to drag race the motor all the time i would have used the 48 intake manifolds for better top end ) .the ports are way to big for a 40 empi carbs being that this motor will be on the street 90% of the time. i went with the smaller port intakes . i allso did not like the short stacks that came with the empi kit. so i bought 4" stacks . .i all so did not like the cheap steel air cleaner tops and bases .so i went with a set of alum. air cleaner tops and bases have a great thanks giving spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

hi every one.today i installed fresh air scoops in the roof of my bug . to put fresh air in side for the driver . when racing on dirt roads or off the road .it was a lot of work to in stall. but was worth it . my cost was about $100.00 for parts . every thing has gone up .theres no end lol . this was the first day in ohio that was warm enought for my to work on my bug . thanks for looking spencerfvee

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Ya coming up here for the 'Snow Drift' rally?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Ya coming up here for the 'Snow Drift' rally?
, ..............................i am sad to say .no the car wont be done. till summer spencerfvee
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Yea they have a 'summer ' rally too or at least they did?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Yea they have a 'summer ' rally too or at least they did?
................................................ thanks for the info good luck racing spencerfvee
ratrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I just finished reading your build from the start and enjoyed every post. What a fun build!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: oh no not a other 1600 mpg rally drag street motor Reply with quote

ratrog wrote:
Just wanted to say I just finished reading your build from the start and enjoyed every post. What a fun build!
................................................thank you for the kind words . it has been a very fun build . the best thing about it . its not a show car .i can park it any where lol i can take it to wall mart lol lol . i think a lot of people have for got how to just build some thing .that is off the wall crazy looking .and looks like it just came out of a barn lol and only a mother can love it lol .i just hope the cops leave me alone. i sure cant speed on the road .i am going to have to drive like a old man lol . i am just having fun with life .over the years i have built some crazy looking vws but this one i like the best spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: