Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Hey guys,

what are my options for buying new door panels for my 64 11 window? i would prefer cards that have the stainless strips in them, but worst case if it is a large cost difference i will get regular 2 tone. I emailed jbug and their panels are just 2 tone with no strip. thanks in advance.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Clara , Sewfine , TMI ?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Cliff@BrownBags wrote:
Hey guys,

what are my options for buying new door panels for my 64 11 window? i would prefer cards that have the stainless strips in them, but worst case if it is a large cost difference i will get regular 2 tone. I emailed jbug and their panels are just 2 tone with no strip. thanks in advance.

The trims are sold separately. Check out wolfsburgwest.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a fan of the TMI door cards for the cab doors. Unlike the originals, TMI glues the material to the board only at the edges. Consequently, you get a little puffy spot at the bend and at the clips. It annoys the crap out of me. Those are the only panels I had to replace, and while the colors and texture are a nice match, those puffy spots are crap. You can see what I'm talking about in this pic. It bugs the livin' hell out of me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

West Coast Classic restorations

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Here is a set I made in Aero Payprus

I have made sets in other colours, for other years, with or without the door pockets, and for walkthrough buses as well.

Send me an email through one of my ads if you are interested.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Those are so nice, Clara!

Is the material you make your panels out of, waterproof - at all?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Those are so nice, Clara!

Is the material you make your panels out of, waterproof - at all?

Clara uses the same type of material VW did. It should hold up for you for a long time.

We left our 66 bus parked outside for 10 years in Western Washington, with an average of 50-60” of rain annually, and the panels still look good.

On the microbus sets we have been installing vapor barriers on the back of the cab door panels. On the rest of the panels I don’t feel it’s necessary but it could be added at an additional cost.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply campingbox! The moisture vapor barrier would be a good idea with skylight windows and a sunroof.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Thanks for the reply campingbox! The moisture vapor barrier would be a good idea with skylight windows and a sunroof.

The moisture barrier is a good idea on the front door panels for all models since water drains through the doors when it rains or when you wash the bus. That is how VW designed them. Water drains out the holes in the bottom of the door. However, water will bounce onto the door side of the panel if there's no moisture barrier.

Elsewhere, a moisture barrier would not be needed IMO. I have not seen water damage on interior panels I've installed in buses, even buses sitting outside in damp W WA.
If your sunroof and skylights are particularly drippy, I would not think a moisture barrier would make a difference anywhere else as the water would not be from that direction. Not saying it would hurt to have a moisture barrier on the other panels, but not seeing it would help either. Might be good to let it breathe, actually. If your bus has drips onto the face side of the panels, I would recommend parking the bus under a roof, and cracking a window to let it vent. Drips through the eight skylight seals will make rust in the inner rain gutters, get water wicked up into the headliner and can make water or rust stains.

A friend of mine would leave an incandescent light on in his 21 window to drive out the moisture in winter in wet W WA, even though it was parked under cover.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes 2 tone door panels that have the stainless strips Reply with quote

Thanks, Clara! I guess I'm conditioned to the leaks, because I just expect them now, after 30 years of them. I plan to re-do my skylight seals and ragtop, but I always seem to leave a window open or something. All of my stock panels are warped from water.

Would spraying the back of the non-cab panels, with something water repellent, also not be advisable?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: