Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area....
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

I've only been on TheSamba about 6 months and I just now found this thread. I don't mean to resurrect it but I had a similar, much more costly experience, so here's my 2 cents worth in case it helps anybody.

I feel for you! You really did everything possible to evaluate the car. You did everything right. It's unfortunate that some people can be so dishonest. I was intentionally misled about the condition of the car I bought. I did some homework, but I should have done way more. I knew better, but the seller had credentials that seemed safe - my bad judgement. Not easy to swallow at first.

I've moved on. I have and will continue to do anything I can to warn others about the seller in my case. But life is too short. We have to enjoy each day. Know that you are a better person than the low life who felt he had to ruin your day in order to make his better.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

Of course you can always out the offending party on the good ol’ net to make any other prospective victims aware of the sellers shady practices, much like the feedback feature here.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone was shredded.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

Move on, small claims tough to collect even if you win.
Just throwing good money after bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

mauibarber wrote:
New Motor, $3500

Attorney Fees after you win, $7000

True, cut your losses, and move on with life.
Yes it sucks, but that's life.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

You had a PPI done and it doesn't matter subsequent to that. Last document in standard. In your mind (only) you were wronged. This is just real world advice. As someone stated earlier, it will cost you $7000 to win a $3500 civil case. Or go to small claims court where you will loose because of time. Hard pill to swallow, but without costly representation, it is what it is.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with this myself but the dollar amount involved sounds like a matter for small claims court, which does not require an attorney.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

New Motor, $3500

Attorney Fees after you win, $7000
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

I'd agree with you except the documentation I was given at the time of inspection said the engine had been rebuilt . It was the incorrect invoice for the work done. If the seller had given me the invoice that actually was for the car I would have seen the mechanic noted cam wear and pitting and that no action had been taken by the owner at that time to fix it. So, even though I flew to Denver to inspect and drive the car and had a PPI done by someone conversant in the field without the correct invoice we had no way of knowing that the total rebuild the seller described in the ad for the car had not really happened at all. If I had seen "cam wear" on the invoice I was given I would have factored a rebuild into the offer for the car. After it was delivered I put 60 miles on the car when it started having unrelated hesitation problems. When my mechanic was tuning it he heard noises at #3 cylinder when he pulled the wire from it and that's what made him tear down the engine....
The only reason I have the correct invoice at all is that the seller threw the mechanic under the bus for all of this and gave me his contact info. That's when the invoice issue came to light. But buyer beware - absolutely - I did everything right and now am stuck dealing with this mess.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

"Buyer Beware"

A very old truth. Sorry you didn't listen to it. You've no one to blame but yourself.

Mop up your spilled milk, rebuild your engine and move forward.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

specifically it involves misrepresentation of a motor vehicle's condition - in this case a supposedly restored engine that now needs a total rebuild - documentation that was offered up (eg invoice for the work done) at the time of inspection was in fact for a different car. If the correct invoice had been made available I would have known the short block showed cam wear and the owner had elected to do nothing about it.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

You might need to be a little more clear. "Vintage car cases" is not really an specific area of focus.
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Looking for help in the Denver Colorado area.... Reply with quote

..to help me find an attorney, preferably one who is a known quantity and has experience dealing with vintage car related cases.
Really appreciate any leads - thanks!
Diane
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: