Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pump intake-small hole in case?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Would this present a problem? I matched up my oil pump holes with the case and cleaned up the hole going to the pump itself. I found a very small hole in the side of the channel going to the pump. What is on the other side of this? It just appears to go into the case.
Would the pump suck air if it leads elsewhere? Just thought I would ask.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Yes it would leak air if it goes through. Probably just a pocket.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Ive seen cases that apear to have a sleve in that location...possiably vw noiticed it and started sleeving them so there wood bee no issues. your there we arnt find out if it has a leek.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

So? Before I start getting this case together what should I do? It appears to be hollow but the other side just leads to solid magnesium. Any suggestions as to how it see where it leads to? I tried brake parts cleaner but it just drips down into the oil pickup tube.
My thoughts are if air is allowed to come through it the oil pump will suck air in (easier to suck air than oil) and not have the proper pressure or flow of oil.
Get what I’m saying? Glad I saw it now. I REALLY REALLY barely took any metal off. Just used a rifle cleaning bristle brush to clean the hole and saw it.!?
Weird.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

You could always press a thin wall tube into the hole like tucker said. But you need tube that matches the hole or need to make it fit one way or the other.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

get a little L shaped pick and see how deep it is
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

That’s a good idea. I have a very small pick but it’s in such a difficult area to be poking around.
Kind of like a cavity in your mouth-is it best to leave it alone? I wanna know where it leads to but I cannot see an area beyond that it would be open to at all. Very hard to describe it....haha
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Check it first.

If it does go through, clean it good, a tiny dot of JB Weld, smooth it back out, and continue the mock-up.

Brian
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Check it first.

If it does go through, clean it good, a tiny dot of JB Weld, smooth it back out, and continue the mock-up.

Brian

How many times do I have to say this, epoxy does not do well long term in carbs or engines. Por15 por-patch is impervious in a hydro carbon environment.
Dan
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump intake-small hole in case? Reply with quote

Yeah I don’t think that would be a very good idea in-line right BEFORE the oil pump. I could see it coming loose and getting caught in the oil pump with my luck. Anyone know what’s in that secret little cavity? Hole is too small to get my pick in it. Man that’s a really thin wall!!!!!!
Anyone have a scrapped case they wish to experiment on? Very interesting comment Mark made on the sleeve that vw did? Wonder if people had issues with it somehow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: