Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

.004 or .005?
Setting it today and googled and got all kinds of answers.
1776 dual port. New crank, flywheel, bearings, etc. rods not installed. Distributor drive gear not installed. Pulley not installed.
Case tightened down to spec with internals

Check out my procedure:
Using a Dial gauge on the flywheel.
Torque flywheel to 200ft lbs
Measure endplay
Find a 3 shim stack (unoiled) that measures the endplay minus .005
Reinstall
Remeasure endplay

Sound about right?
Here is what I am at now. Between .004 and .005.
Is this fine? First try on the shim stack I selected!! Good luck? Maybe I should play the lottery?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

Factory spec for endplay is .0027-.0051" on a stock engine, with a wear limit of .006"
With a high performance engine setting to the high side of clearance more common to allow for higher temp some experience.
Torque spec for gland nut minimum of 217 ft lbs. I torque stock gland nuts to 250 ft lbs and chromoly ones to more.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

I torqued the berg nut to 230ft/lbs according to my torque meister tool. That thing is a fantastic little tool!!!
(Set torque wrench to 25ft/lbs)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
.004 or .005?
Setting it today and googled and got all kinds of answers.
1776 dual port. New crank, flywheel, bearings, etc. rods not installed. Distributor drive gear not installed. Pulley not installed.
Case tightened down to spec with internals

Check out my procedure:
Using a Dial gauge on the flywheel.
Torque flywheel to 200ft lbs
Measure endplay
Find a 3 shim stack (unoiled) that measures the endplay minus .005
Reinstall
Remeasure endplay

Sound about right?
Here is what I am at now. Between .004 and .005.
Is this fine? First try on the shim stack I selected!! Good luck? Maybe I should play the lottery?

PLEASE torque the flywheel to 250ft/lbs.

It makes no difference between .004" and .005"

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

230 is plenty for setting endplay right???? It’s going to be more like 400 once I finalize assembly.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
230 is plenty for setting endplay right???? It’s going to be more like 400 once I finalize assembly.

Absolutely not. When you set the end play, you MUST torque the flywheel to the same ft/lbs as you are going to when you assemble the motor.

As for 400ft'lbs......that is WAY overkill for your engine. IF you are building a 200HP dragrace engine, then absolutely torque it to 400ft/lbs. I have been building 60hp to 175hp street performance engines for 30 years with over 2000 builds and I have never torqued a flywheel past 250ft/lbs, never used loctite and never had one come loose.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

Has anyone actually measured any difference in end play with the nut torqued to 50, 100, or 250 ft lb?
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

Not to question your ability Roy as I very much respect your comments and very much APPRECIATE the help and time you give to help us here on the forum...
But it don’t feel the endplay will change between 230ft/lbs and 250ft/lbs as the flywheel is already seated on the crank and dowel pins right?
Anything over that point you are just stretching the threads on your gland nut or crankshaft or both right?
What changes between 250ft/lbs and 400ft/lbs should be the real question!!??
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Not to question your ability Roy as I very much respect your comments and very much APPRECIATE the help and time you give to help us here on the forum...
But it don’t feel the endplay will change between 230ft/lbs and 250ft/lbs as the flywheel is already seated on the crank and dowel pins right?
Anything over that point you are just stretching the threads on your gland nut or crankshaft or both right?
What changes between 250ft/lbs and 400ft/lbs should be the real question!!??

Because "You Test Like You Fly"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

Annnnnnd that means what?
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Endplay on newly rebuilt ‘71 case Reply with quote

Torque applied to assembly shouldn't matter in theory, the gap between the crank and flywheel is fixed when it is assembled properly, period! if it changes during tightening, something is wrong, factory did it the measurement way and shimmed accordingly based on the gap less main bearing thickness, and I believe that the crank,bearing ,shims and flywheel were assembled before, and dropped into split case. The reason we do it on rebuilds is nothing is perfect on a used engine and the torque helps seat bearing and hopefully make it more consistent, squish bearing, allow for bent dowels,dirt,crank to flywheel seat not parallel, ect. IMHO 100-125 flbs or so should be enough to check, I would check it a couple times (R&R) to ensure you get the same readings, mounting in the same position of course.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: