Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty excited about this find today. Should have it next week.

Does anyone have experience with these old Leistritz mufflers? This one is from 86. I know the new Ansa and Dansk mufflers burn their paint off pretty quickly... will this one do the same? Would love to leave it stock, but I also don’t want a rusty muffler hanging off the back of the bus.
1963 Turkis Single Cab, 1600cc
1964 Turkis Standard Walk-Thru, 1641cc
1978 Westfalia 2.0L EFI Automatic

Turkis Mafia
Turkis Mafia Facebook Group

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

you can powder coat with a header powder coat. The gaskets to mount it are a bit hard to find these days, or they were the last time I checked.
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you can powder coat with a header powder coat. The gaskets to mount it are a bit hard to find these days, or they were the last time I checked.

Any idea if that original paint will hold up... or will it burn off like the new stuff?

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Any idea if that original paint will hold up... or will it burn off like the new stuff?

It will burn off. The paint on most mufflers isn't designed to last but rather, protect the muffler until installation.

Ceramic coating the muffler is another option as well. One thing to consider though is lots of mufflers rust inside out. I'd still have it coated with one or the other.

My VW's in PHX only have the original factory applied paint. They are not driven in wet environments usually. In the desert here, they'll outlive me. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

Least costly is high temp aluminum paint, easy to refresh. Ceramic header powder coating is more. I just had an almost complete 75-78 NOS exhaust done in ceramic header paint and it was $500. That included removing the old paint, and coating.
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Danam404 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

It will burn off. The paint on most mufflers isn't designed to last but rather, protect the muffler until installation.

Ceramic coating the muffler is another option as well. One thing to consider though is lots of mufflers rust inside out. I'd still have it coated with one or the other.

My VW's in PHX only have the original factory applied paint. They are not driven in wet environments usually. In the desert here, they'll outlive me. Wink

Thanks Bill! Yeah that’s too bad, was hoping it would hold that nice original dark grey color. Tough to find high temp powder coat or ceramic to match

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a NOS Muffler... powder coat it? Reply with quote

Get it ceramic coated if you want it to last. Plenty of shops around me would ceramic coat that for $150.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: