Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Ghia - Second Chance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
dc wrote:
Love those engine shots - my working plan is a budget 40hp motor - reusing as many top end pieces (and the heater boxes) as possible.

BTW, have you seen this series?
Rotten vw engine tear down, can it be saved?
Will It Still Run? Rotten vw engine repaired.

He does a reasonable engine resurrection on the cheap.

I will check that out!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:

This one will be cheap and nasty and fun - no illusions of a “proper” resto.
Gonna cut and weld what is visible after I rust bullet and carve out some of the inner mess. Look away! It may offend some... but hey - it’s mine, I’m excited and it already had (has) a foot in the grave Twisted Evil

Amen brother!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Alright-
Check it-
Got the wheels/tires off- definitely required a breaker bar Exclamation
New tires and powder-coating is in the works Cool

I pretty pleased with the inner fenders and overall dryness of the car- Those spots of rust seem to all be superficial - some of the darker stains/wet areas are just from sitting outside for a few days before it was towed to me on Saturday. The barn at least slowed the horrible-ness Wink

Those brakes look all original (well, 1980 at least) and intact...
Gonna carefully dismantle the whole system and see how bad the corroded and seized internal parts are.
New wheel cylinders are likely needed, right?
And probably the master and maybe the lines...

Maybe the drums, shoes, and bearings will be ok Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Replace all rubber lines as they swell closed on the inside.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Those brakes look all original (well, 1980 at least) and intact...
Gonna carefully dismantle the whole system and see how bad the corroded and seized internal parts are.
New wheel cylinders are likely needed, right?
And probably the master and maybe the lines...

Maybe the drums, shoes, and bearings will be ok Confused

You can rebuild the wheel cylinders, but in my experience that doesn't last long.

You might consider putting in a dual circuit while you're at it. I'm still running single circuit, but I would so hate bashing my front bumper and nose that I'm thinking of upgrading. A quick hand on the e-brake might not always be enough.

Last edited by carlk3 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Replace all rubber lines as they swell closed on the inside.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:

After the wheels and tires are sorted - I plan to flat tow with a tow bar to get the engine done!

Just throwing out this link to the "Bug tow bar - work on Ghia" thread from August 2008 in case your not familiar with the possible problems sometimes associated with flat towing a Karmann Ghia.

There are plenty of differing opinions on whether or not it's a "safe"/"smart" thing to do, and also a few tips on how to avoid the potential damage to the nose which can occur in certain types of turns.

Sounds like this isn't your first vintage vw rodeo, but I thought I'd mention this just in case it may help you prevent any extra repair work.
You may have your hands pretty full already if the old adage "The rust that you can see on the exterior of your Karmann Ghia is only the top 10 percent of the rust iceberg lurking below the surface." proves to be true in your case.

Either way, Good Luck with your project.
Thanks for taking the time to share your restoration experience - I look forward to following along and being inspired.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

My tow bar plan is tentative! There are definitely some horror stories about smashed noses and/or turn signals with flat towing...
I am going investigate a tow bar in my shed that may or may not work - I will likely have to extend it - modify it to make it work and avoid the tight turning problems. I will just hire a pro if I can't make it safe.

I really don't feel like the rust on this one is super bad - I know where it hides and there ARE a few spots that are likely "icebergs" but I'm NOT willing to tear this one down - nope, not gonna do it. This is VW #8 for me and it is NOT in the top three of rusty cars I have owned, worked on, and driven. Just wanna drive this one - sooner than later Smile
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Flat towing a Ghia is always controversial. I have towed Ghias thousands of miles with a garden variety Type I tow bar. However, I have used a slightly extended dropped hitch in the towing vehicle's receiver. Just be cautious when turning and try to stay under 80 MPH.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Flat towing a Ghia is always controversial. I have towed Ghias thousands of miles with a garden variety Type I tow bar. However, I have used a slightly extended dropped hitch in the towing vehicle's receiver. Just be cautious when turning and try to stay under 80 MPH.

Yep, I was recently on the Garden State Parkway and remembered towing my Ghia up that behind a '79 Chevy Malibu ($40 Class 2 hitch on that massive bumper) on my way from FL to NY. Later I towed it from NY to CO behind a Ryder Ford Econoline. And then a lot of short trips around Denver behind my VW GTI. Just don't try to reverse.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Some of the metal arrived today-

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Where is it coming from?
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

couple sources-
this batch is from cip1vw
These are all Dansk panels.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Sharing some wonderful history as provided by the previous owner Very Happy

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

In this photo, I think you received the wrong left rr fender corner- this one's for a late Ghia that has a slightly rounded bottom edge-

This panel will "fit" your car, but the contour will not match the original. You can find correctly shaped corner panels which have an approx. 8" long straight bottom edge. Just hold this patch panel against your current fender corner to compare the bottom edge differences.

Also- cheap rust repair for the battery tray: I went through this problem on my early '64 Ghia Coupe about 24 years ago. I noticed that the large rectangular depression is nearly the same as for a Beetle battery tray patch panel. So that's what I did- cut the old area out, making sure I cut along that diagonal joint line coming from the engine lid opening's edge and going "north west" to the engine edge. You can find nearly exact patch panels, but those are probably 4x more expensive than the Beetle patch panel. I hired an experienced body welder to weld the panel in, along with several other small patches. Here's a shot of the engine compartment. I still have the car, though it's not drivable. Battery moved to under the rear seat cushion (right side) due to dual carburetors.

Note that the shape and size of that depression in the battery area got smaller halfway through the '64 model year. So if you do decide to buy a close-to-original patch panel, make sure the depression is the same size as on your original.

My '64 is also the same original color as yours- Polar Blue. Mine had its cheap repaint in orange by a PO.

Also- your Ghia's nose- before you consider major surgery to weld in a replacement nose panel, try fixing yours. My '64 had a similarly "flattened" nose contour with an approx. 3" long tear in the center. I hammer/dollied the nose dent outward, and my welder buddy closed the tear with the Mig welder I then only needed an approx. 1/8" thick filler layer to smooth out the area. I realize your nose also has a horizontal crease, but that could also be worked out with indenting.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
...Also- your Ghia's nose- before you consider major surgery to weld in a replacement nose panel, try fixing yours. ...I realize your nose also has a horizontal crease, but that could also be worked out with indenting.

+1

I had a badly creased door and was able to get it almost back to 100% with a chepp Harbor Freight hammer and dolly set and a shrinking disk from proshaper.com. I have no prior metal shaping experience proving it is at least worth try.

I had a distorted nose ridge and was able to get it mostly back to normal using an old chisel that I cut down and shaped into slightly rdiused flat punch. With it i was able to punch out the ridge center and get a decent outer edge on the ridge. It will need mud but I doubt it will be more than 1/8".

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Good pointers - we'll see what happens!
Did some cutting today and rough test fits on two of the panels- preliminary fit is OK.
I'm only using about three inches or so of the rear fender bottom- should be OK with some finesse Rolling Eyes

Decided to fix rather than replace the engine lid.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

I’m always in awe of you guys that do all the metal work.
It’s a real art!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Well... we shall see about the art part- but I do enjoy cutting,fitting, welding and grinding! I try to use as little filler as possible and try to keep the rust away for at least another 10 years or so.

Waiting on some supplies before I trim fit an tack on the panels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: