Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Ghia - Second Chance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Some seam stitching the other day - driver's side is prettier welds - thicker metal here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side metal is thinner - harder to get a clean line -

Careful grinding should make both sides pretty good with minimal filler needed - so that's good!

Lower edge area traumatized me and I'm not working on it for a few days!
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Well done man !! Very Happy

Its probably the best way to weld this area point by point just to avoid deformation due to too much heat. I did just the same when we reworked the nose. I hope there will be not too many pores or holes after grinding it down.

Keep going Exclamation
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
Well done man !! Very Happy

Its probably the best way to weld this area point by point just to avoid deformation due to too much heat. I did just the same when we reworked the nose. I hope there will be not too many pores or holes after grinding it down.

Keep going Exclamation

Thanks!
Back at it tomorrow is the plan - more slow and careful- nothing looks warped or "oil-canned" at this point - whew!
I did a lot of moving around the entire panel and then only about 1" at a time.
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Looks good, well done!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Several more hours of work later...
Grind the welds carefully:

Seam seal with metal/epoxy

Careful use of polyester filler - the pro variety Wink

Primer Filler coat (over selected areas of self-etching primer)

It all looks really nice and flat - one of my best panel repairs ever Exclamation

The parts that look crappy and uneven - under the driver's side vent and around the turn signals and the cruddy outer parts of the vents - are all areas that i didn't try to fix. I'm not going for perfect - the whole car would need to be blow apart for that Exclamation But it's a weird way to fix a car...

More sanding, blending, painting, sanding, painting, etc. to go - but I'm happy with the progress so far Smile
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Looks really awesome. Amazing to see what a difference your work has made. Looking forward to more updates and the final result.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Nice work. Don’t be afraid of filler. Convex areas are the easiest to shape. As opposed to flat surfaces, it’s easy to spot waves on a bus.
Use 36 grit to shape the filler, and primer and finer grits to remove the scratches, not to shape. Keep up the good work!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Nice work. Don’t be afraid of filler. Convex areas are the easiest to shape. As opposed to flat surfaces, it’s easy to spot waves on a bus.
Use 36 grit to shape the filler, and primer and finer grits to remove the scratches, not to shape. Keep up the good work!

Yeah - true -
I like the filler I'm using and I may do work on the driver's side. Body work is a slow process and it's not always easy to be patient!
I am excited to get the bumper on this car Very Happy
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Watch this guys videos: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl...bR55ugBg56
He seems to be practical, instead of the usual elitist trope regarding filler.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Another day and half of body work refining the driver's side under the vent area - it's better!

Another coat of primer - sand- a coat of sealer - and THEN-
some Dove Blue - which was great....

Until I ran out up near the top passenger side... started low on purpose and knew it would be close.... oh well - it really need two coats at least Wink

Not sure if my paint place is open on the 3rd Question Might be a couple days yet Sad
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Second coat of paint is on :

Been working on prepping all the nose jewelry Wink

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Quote:
Second coat of paint is on :
Sure looks good after all your grafting and smoothing. Will you paint the entire car with those custom-mixed spray cans, or will you attempt a repaint using a spray gun?
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Thanks!

I will paint the whole car that color and finish but not with touch up cans- kinda spendy! I have a gun and compressor for painting big areas... but it will be nice to drive the car this year before I worry about painting the whole thing
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Done with the nose Cool

Well...mostly done - still gotta re-install the horns and fix the latch on the replacement hood Wink

Really pleased with how it turned out.

Again - far from perfect - it's hard to know where to stop when you just do spot repairs Exclamation

All the replacement bits- the nose/grill vents, emblem, bumper, signals are all used/worn parts that either came with the car or were bought to match relative wear and tear...
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Honestly? Looking great! Congratulations on the repair. And the new color has a quite vintage theme to it, too Cool
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Nice work. Your repairs look great. It must have been fun to see the trim going back on.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Wanted to get that nice script back on the deck BUT I was tired of looking at the yellow and purple paint in that spot. So I hit with some blue!

Also note the modern WA State tags - oh well Wink

Messed around with an old NOS Sun 4K tachometer and transmitter box for 6 volt - 4 cylinder....

It only sort-of works Rolling Eyes Very erratic needle movement with a temporary hook-up using alligator clamps and a 1.5 volt lithium AA battery in place of the "bad boy" mercury 1.35V battery it came with originally....

4K is a little low BUT it's a cool old tach - still in the box date 2 of 1962 ! MAYBE I can get it to work...

Quick dash shot:

Yeah - I know that's a Ford Ghia badge minus the red and blue in-fill - but I kinda like it there (it's just held with some glue)

My radio is a re-furbished unit that is bench tested to work fine - but I can't get anything but soft static in the car - bad speaker? Question

AND
I changed the oil today for the first time since the giant rebuild - oil looked good - typical first change look - kinda gray and sparkly with teeny-tiny metal bits from break-in. I used a new sump plate and drain plug 'cause I had a leak there before!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:
My radio is a re-furbished unit that is bench tested to work fine - but I can't get anything but soft static in the car - bad speaker? Question

Try bad antenna, then try missing link on the DIN connector joining the RF audio out to the power amp. At least you know the audio stage is functional.

There is often a trim capacitor adjustment on the radio at the back that matches the antenna and improves reception on AM radios. Ita about 1/8" in size and usually at the back of the radio accessible without removing the covers.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
dc wrote:

Try bad antenna, then try missing link on the DIN connector joining the RF audio out to the power amp. At least you know the audio stage is functional.

There is often a trim capacitor adjustment on the radio at the back that matches the antenna and improves reception on AM radios. Ita about 1/8" in size and usually at the back of the radio accessible without removing the covers.

Nicholas

Great advice! I will try those ideas/investigate
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Quote:

I remember that feature from AM radios I had in my VWs in the mid 1970's. There may be a small reference label on the radio body for this "trim" operation. By memory, the antenna needs to be fully extended, select a station ~ 1300, then turn the trim adjustment until the signal is strongest per the clarity of the speaker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: