Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

You got to heat the flange up red hot, I mean glowing red hot! Then bend it. I would stick it into a vice, then heat it. When it get red hot, bend it. It will push like hot plastic, but will cool quickly, so the window is small.

Check out Jeremy’s thread. He shows how to do it! I learned from reading his thread and have bent several pieces since then. Works awesome!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo. Can I get the heat I need with a propane torch? I don’t have oxe -acetylene.....
CC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Yes, you can.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Welding on a full stomach may be what both you and I need ...
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: More welding-small success I think :) Reply with quote

Today I continued, but I needed to change how I was practicing. Instead of putting two pieces of steel on top of the metal table, which is what I usually did, I decided to put the metal UPRIGHT, and "butt join", like it would be done in the car. I wanted to reproduce the welding practice as closely as possible to the actual "in situ" weld I would have to do later.

My welder (Hobart Handler 140) suggested a power setting of 1 and a wire speed setting of 25 for 24 gauge; this is 22 gauge but this setting seemed really low. I tried 2 /30, the 2/40, and then 2/35. Here are the results:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks to me that 2/30 was too cold, 2/40 was too hot, I blew thru in a few places; 2/35 looked just about right, so that's what I used today. Not perfect, but it was better than the last one. One thing I did learn: Hobart 140 automatically "ups" the amps when you up the wire speed. It's a bit frustrating to try and "get it just right."

Now some grinding is in order, and then I will move on to the tower bracket, see if I can get that fabricated, then install the bracket, then the shock tower metal. Then I can Install the bracket, seal everything with a good seam sealer, and move on to the next side. No light at the end of the tunnel for this part of the project yet, but I can hear the train....
whew!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Tower bracket is getting there Reply with quote

I hammered and heated and hammered and got the bracket to submit.
It fits pretty well, I thought. I temped it in with a cleco.

I plan on finishing the bracket, then temp'ing it in so I can complete tower sheet metal repair. After the tower sheet metal is OK, I will weld in the bracket permanently, then repair the front part. I see I need not only the bracket part, but that part of the front quarter too.
I don't think I can fabricate that part.

Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Wor work work... Keep it coming.... Reply with quote

I continue: First I got the bracket firmed up a bit. Cleco'd it together, I will repair the front leg I think. It's not too bad, and looks clean up top. I do not want to have to construct another bracket leg, at least on this side Laughing

Next I cleaned up and started to decide how I am going to fix the tower. I did take measurements, all three bolt "holes to holes" vs the right side, and also angles of inclination, side to side and front to back. I wanna get that bracket in correctly.

As far as the tower repair itself: QUESTION: Should I just fix the area that's bad, and save as much original metal as possible...

...or just replace the whole area?

Looks almost like a "6 or one-half dozen" proposal....

Oh, I cleaned up that whole 1/4 panel too. Looks like I have more work. I did get the bumper bracket.

Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Co-VW19. Hey That's pretty good! Get it? Co-VW19?!?!?! Reply with quote

OK More work. I am about, what? 50% of the way there with the driver's side shock tower repair.

It's getting there......Little more love, ie, a little more hammerin', a little more trimming; I will PROBABLY wait to finish weld until I get the metal for the front (front of the car) bracket leg in and repaired completely.

I DID weld the bracket leg on to the bracket "cap". By gum THAT thing ain't never gonna come apart again, at LEAST not with some serious trying, by gosh. I put some SERIOUS welds on it.

I discovered the OTHER side (passenger side) is going to need work, but I am seriously thinking about just cutting off that lower part, fixing/patching the metal work underneath, then re-welding the lower part back on. Whaddya' think? I know there is some rust there, and I know "rust never sleeps" but if I can fix that area without having to take off that darn bracket, I'd say it's a win. Oh well, to be continued...... Smile

Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Right hand side! Same song, slightly different verse.... Reply with quote

So as I am waiting for some replacement parts, I decided to start the right hand passengers side tower. This is the rear (rear of the car) tower leg. Looks nasty. BTW, someone told me a heat gun and a flat wooden piece of wood will make quick work on that black undercoating. I may try it tomorrow.

And, after some wire brushing....

The white line shows my first cut, but I actually had to go up about another 1". That darn rust! I think I got it tho....

Trimmed the steel a bit, plugged a few small holes, then fabb'ed the patch. After all that trimming, and filing, and prepping with anti-rust and weld-thru, I am done for today.

I'll weld it in, and build the distal portion of the bracket best I can, then call it; and then get the front bracket leg, same thing. Not too bad, I hope?

Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tower bracket Reply with quote

Patch in:

Now the rear tower bracket has been fabricated, I tacked it in to get some good fitting. Will fortify and then weld in, maybe tomorrow? I do so want to get rid of all that undercoating.... I hate looking at it.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

You are doing well! Keep up the great energy! That positive mindset can overcome many negative situations!

Your welding has improved. I can see it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Covid got ya down? Well folks, how about MORE VW repair! Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo. I really appreciate the comments.

I had posted a comment last night in the paint/body work forum here about sequence of steps vis a vis brushable seam sealer, what I had planned on doing etc.

I realized that in some of my posts maybe I am just looking for some affirmation from "people who have done it before", or maybe even "No! Do it this way, it's much easier." I'm kinda new to this stuff, so your comments and other members comments are really special.

But, I digress...

I finally tackled that nasty front section. Here's the before...

I had trouble with the spot welds; I tried the drill bit, but just kept punching through. I tried the handy dandy weld cutter, which actually I though worked better, but made such a bigger hole. I guess unless I punch thru THAT doesn't really make a difference-Hmm, the things you realize AFTER the act...Do they make a 1/4" weld cutter?

After:

tada! It's out! I'm gonna have to get some square weld nuts, and weld 'em in. I believe they are metric, M8, with 1.25mm thread. I saw some on McMaster-Carr for like $11/100. Volks places want $12/10.

Hmm, I didn't realize that bumper bracket was just spot welded on in like 2 places. The one in the new panel is welded on to the panel already. I am wondering how THAT's gonna work..... Oh, and the down leg with the captive bolt? Looks nasty, but it's really just some light surface rust, thankfully. Well, I was lucky I guess, but I will need to patch just the back part, there was some rust I had to remove. Here's a look at the patch I fabb'ed. 18ga steel, I weld it in and call it a success. Since the area is open, I think I will get rid of the surface rust, ospho it, and shoot some epoxy primer up in there before I seal 'er up.

BTW, got that nasty undercoating off the passenger side and I think it looks great. Now to weld on the rear leg of the bracket and get started on the front. Gosh, So much to do...Gotta love the extra work too

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

This is it!

That spot is all over my current project! Wish I could find it, like you did, circle it and then (I assume) cut it out!

Found the humor in your photo. It so applies to every car I have ever worked on! Be it mine, a buddies, past customers or family. All of them!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Front 1/4 (1/8th?) panel repair, (L) side drivers side. Reply with quote

I got that part, and immediately determined (after lots of cussing and hammering) that there was NO WAY it was gonna fit with the welded-on bumper bracket.
Sooo, I took the high road and removed it. So now I have to figure out a way to get that back on and make it workable with the new panel. To be continued there, I guess.
I am thinking I will weld/bolt it in place, then put some bolts in to the panel and literally bolt the panel to the bumper bracket. Something like that. I know I will probably have to recreate the bumper bolt holes and backside nuts too.
Oh,BTW, welded that patch on the backside of the downleg. No worries, no problems. It looks good, so THAT's done.

Progress!
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Coming along! Good to see you making progress.

Are you going to get new bumper mount brackets? CIP has them for $20 per side. Might be available elsewhere too:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-135-809-132-A

When I did mine, I bolted them to the car (with the bumper) before welding. That way I could line everything up and make sure it was in the right zipcode before tacking them in place. I didn't want my bumper leaning to one side. Smile

To answer your earlier question: Yes, they do make a 1/4" spot weld cutters. I bought a kit made by Blair that had 5/16" cutters. Then I bought 1/4" "rotobroach" cutters from Blair that fit that kit. I like the size hole they make but they are MUCH more brittle than the larger cutters. And they are pricey. Brittle + Expensive makes them an unattractive sale. Smile Might want to try some of the cheaper versions and see how they compare.

-JG
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Coming along! Good to see you making progress.

Are you going to get new bumper mount brackets? CIP has them for $20 per side. Might be available elsewhere too:

-JG

Yup! Got it. And Thanks for the nice words.
jeremy.g wrote:

When I did mine, I bolted them to the car (with the bumper) before welding. That way I could line everything up and make sure it was in the right zipcode before tacking them in place. I didn't want my bumper leaning to one side. Smile
-JG

Excellent! I'll hafta' haul it down from the rafters in the shed, but good idea!
jeremy.g wrote:

To answer your earlier question: Yes, they do make a 1/4" spot weld cutters. I bought a kit made by Blair that had 5/16" cutters. Then I bought 1/4" "rotobroach" cutters from Blair that fit that kit. I like the size hole they make but they are MUCH more brittle than the larger cutters. And they are pricey. Brittle + Expensive makes them an unattractive sale. Smile Might want to try some of the cheaper versions and see how they compare.

-JG

Roger that. Good ideas, all.

So, I temp the bracket on the bumper, without the 1/4 panel in, and then tack the bumper bracket on. Then take off the bumper, weld the bracket on, then make the 1/4 panel fit to the newly welded on bumper bracket, right? I do NOT want to take off the front apron!!!!
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
So, I temp the bracket on the bumper, without the 1/4 panel in, and then tack the bumper bracket on.

Almost! Laughing

Can you temp the bracket in WITH the 1/4 panel repair section in place as well? That way you know the holes line up.

The bumper brackets (attached to the bumper) sort of dictate where the bumper-mount panels need to go, with the 1/4 panel pinched between them. I think it's a good idea to mock all those panels TOGETHER before welding.

That's what worked for me, anyhow. Smile

-JG
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Chinaclipper wrote:
So, I temp the bracket on the bumper, without the 1/4 panel in, and then tack the bumper bracket on.

Almost! Laughing

Can you temp the bracket in WITH the 1/4 panel repair section in place as well? That way you know the holes line up.

The bumper brackets (attached to the bumper) sort of dictate where the bumper-mount panels need to go, with the 1/4 panel pinched between them. I think it's a good idea to mock all those panels TOGETHER before welding.

That's what worked for me, anyhow. Smile

-JG

I have relegated myself to the fact that I MAY have to make new holes/fill in the old ones in the 1/4 panel to make it work, but I will give a try.
Tomorrow?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: It's a go! And BONUS!! No new holes required! Reply with quote

Got some more work done on my 1/4 (1/8th?) panel in the bug today. A member suggested I put the bumper on as I am fitting the panel. It worked! And I didn't hafta drill ANY new holes. Not THAT'S a bonus in my book.
I actually measured a few thing: I measured the distance from the bottom of that front "down leg" to the bottom of the chassis bracket (90mm) and also the angle of the bumper bracket (87 degrees) They actually slant out (looking at them from the front of the car) like this "/ \", and that angle is 87 degrees. I DID put a few extra welds on that chassis bumper bracket. Those little tabs spot welded on are the only thing, and one more little spot weld in the center, that hold that thing on. Do NOT tow your bug by the bumper!!

As you can see, the non-OEM panels didn't line up EXACTLY in the rear, but as I have learned to expect, they almost never do w/o some form of "persuasion". Well, I did do a little persuasion, but the fact that I lined up the bumper bracket with the chassis bracket BEFORE I welded it in made a huge difference. (Thanks again Jeremy_G)

I think I can deal with that little aberration.

BTW, I am waiting patiently for my Eastwood Panel Air flange tool, the one that gives you a 45 degree angle, NOT the 3/4" flange. I wanna see if that helps my butt joints. Smile I did try the manual one and that was "no joy". No workee.....not for 18 ga steel, in spite of what they say.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Starboard side work again; that's right side for you landlubbers Reply with quote

I finished the rear bracket and welded it in place.

She'll work! Four good plug welds (crossed fingers) and some extra at the bottom edge.

I outlined and cut out the front bracket; that will need repair as well.

I saved the front bracket; I DID have to cut it out to get to the panel, but I think I can save it and just weld it back on the bracket. It looks sounds, no rust to weaken it, maybe some surface rust but I wire brushed it off. I was gonna fabricate a new one but I think I can just use this one.. What say youse guys? Am I getting lazy or smart?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 40

Jump to: