Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

So, remember when I said I was gonna do something else? Well, today I started. Got as far as breaking down my front end; after I got the lower control arm off, 2 things then happened.

1) Did they install the bolt backwards??? You are looking at the left (drivers side)- front of the car is to the left.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this normal looseness???? Looks like I may have been missing some bushings or parts?

Link

I also did an extensive wire brushing of the front end frame head, oh look, found some holes that need to be repaired. (go figure) Thankfully minimum sized..... More welding tho.

I did also remove all the old brake lines and hoses and ordered new parts.
Next up will be to repair the front frame head, hopefully get some ideas on the suspension, (yes I am gonna replace all bushings etc with after market good quality bushings) and get the chassis ready for paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

There is supposed to be a rubber bushing in there. They crack with age, so maybe it broke apart and fell out?

This diagram indicates that the bolt goes in from the front, so it does seem yours is backwards.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Yep! In backwards, but it don’t make any difference, so long as the eccentric washer is in play!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Filed under:"Things you didn't expect....." Reply with quote

Famous last words right? Well, first, a big thank you to those who "gave their all" for the country-albeit a day late.
Next, you'd think I'd had enough of welding-and such fun to fabricating parts with 16 gauge steel. Did I mention how much I hate 16 gauge steel? d'oh!

Anyway, All good. I found I had a pretty nice rust area on the anterior right (Passengers side) arm of the front frame head. Yeah, the things you find..

I knew about the few holes on the back edge, this one I just found.... (grumble)

So, to do it right, you really have to remove that front part of the frame head
Oh? I didn't know that came off??

Yeah, neither did I-But, it does. And, I only sheared off two bolts to do it. The first one I foolishly used my air impact wrench-yeah, snapped like a twig. Then, the second (after switching to the straight wrench). After that, I adapted the "darn the torpedoes, drench with liquid wrench, and did the ol' loosen 1/2 turn, tighten a schotch, loosen a bit, reverse and tighten" for the remainder, and didn't loose any more. Go figure right?

Sooo, first things first- drill out the old bolt and clean up/rethread the holes. That was surprisingly simple-no problems at all. Then, I made some patches-two, for the front rusted area. Did I mention I hate fabricating with 16 gauge steel?

It took a LONG time to make those two parts, but, honestly, welding them in was actually pretty fun. No problems with blowout, and it looked pretty good. I'll call it a done deal.

A few more holes, all 3/8" or less in that back edge, maybe a small one on the bottom? and I'm good. I sprayed a TON of Eastwood Rust preventive in the front end frame head, and a good bit the Nap Hat since I was there. I like the green colored one-reminds me of the old WWII airframes. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Baby Steps.... Reply with quote

Well, no pictures (who wants to see pictures of someone removing old paint?) today....but baby steps for me..
First and most messi-ly (is that a word?) I power-washed the rear chassis where sits the tranny. Wow was that messy. I used a tarp underneath (did it in my driveway so I could catch the runoff and gunk, and power vacc'ed it as I went.) I gotta say that power washer from HD, the top power one? Well, it operates at about 3000 PSI and you need every one of them. That's almost 50 years of gunk on that tranny....lots of gunk...Oh, I'm gonna need 4 new CV joint boots, that's for sure. They were old and torn before I started....
Gunk, yeah. Got most off, I can live with what little is left. I can remove it with a scraper and wire brush.

Then, I finished repairs on the frame head, I removed all the paint on the bottom of both floor pans, cleaned up/scuffed/removed the paint on the frame head, (I had to weld on a brake line tab that "fell off" when I was removing paint) one or two little areas to fix with a bit of welding, and presto.

Acetone wipe down-get all the biologicals and grease off the metal-a quick shot of Ospho, and I am ready to begin my Master Series painting and seam sealing of the chassis. Weekend where r u?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: It's a new day.... Reply with quote

.. ..It's a new day, and I'm not welding.
Yesterday, I did the seam sealing and put the second coat of Master Series Silver to my chassis/underbody. I suited up, masked and gloved up (charcoal mask-company suggestion) and still got that darn paint in places it wasn't supposed to be.... Be careful...

But anyway, here 'tis, after the first coat of MS. (PS Do you like my make-shift "rotisserie"? 2 engine hoists and 2 slings. Hey, it's not dumb if it works...)

Yup, I am finally doing something that doesn't require welding.. not that I don't like welding, but it was getting a bit tedious...

I used the seam sealer available from Eastwood-the one in the quart can. It is thick-I'd say like toothpaste-thick, but it applies good. Dries for paint in 60 minutes, says them...

I used ~1.5 quarts of the MS silver for the 2 coats on the chassis bottom and frame head, and I did the rear training arms too. BTW, First can of MS was only about 3/4 full. I'll ask about that.

I'll scuff up the inside of the car pans and tunnel and do them soon, just did the bottoms on this go-round.

I will get some Rustoleum Black (satin finish?) and put a final coat on the chassis, then call that painted.
Baby steps!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

NICE!!!!!

You are making some great progress! Add to that, the end of welding! WOW!!!!!

Ah, but now you are onto the fun part. Making it all look good under a blanket of primer. That’s the hardest part. Tedious to say the least. Primer, sand. Primer, guide coat, sand. Putty, sand. Primer, guide coat, sand. More putty. More sanding. More………you get it. Good luck into the next phase! It is very rewarding. Start with the fenders. They go fairly quick and build momentum and confidence. Plus the skill level will increase exponentially between the four of them. That will make it way easier when you get to the sides and THE ROOF! That’s the one everyone sees from a distance and knows how many ripples or dents there really are. Take your time and remember, block sanding with 3 inch or less strokes. No big strokes.

Oh, and buy the biggest cans of primer that you can get. I use a foam roller to apply. Easy, quick and disposable!

Final coat of primer I spray, but that is a ways away.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looking great!
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looks great! I highly recommend the master series chassis black for the top coat. It flowed out well with combo of foam brush/pad, foam roller, and brush for tight areas. Unless you’re spraying of course. I only needed one quart and covered in one. I used the rest to second coat bottom half of chassis. Dried really hard too. Something for you to consider. I too was very happy with the silver.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I know body painting and especially prepping will be a chore!

I’m feeling pretty good about the MS silver prime and the Rustoleum top coat.
Got the second coat of Rustoleum on the underside, and she’s looking good. Got a nice seam seal too with the Eastwood’s in the can seam sealer. I would definitely recommend it.

Flash/tarp makes it look blue, but it is a nice satin black. Should last another 50 years?😉

I’m also getting ready to re-do all four of the CV boots. I was able to loosen up all my transaxle bolts, didn’t even have to cut one of ‘em. That job looms large....Got my new shifter bushing too, so that is another “must do” before I move on.

Next is probably remove paint on upper side of pans and tunnel, preparing them for the next round of paint....Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: More baby steps! Reply with quote

This weekend I was able to spray paint the "inside" portion of the chassis.
For fun, I found an old, but reliable spray gun-figured what the heck?-and sprayed 2 coats of MS Silver on the chassis.

Soon, I can seam seal everything, then put a few topcoats on, and I will be DONE with chassis paint, and on to the next fiddley bit.

Baby steps...
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I have been following from the first post and what a trip. I love the progress and because I also have a super I learned things. By the way, when I got my MS it was about 3/4 full and the POR15 was about same. Keep it up and before you know it will be a driver. Never done but a driver.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
I have been following from the first post and what a trip. I love the progress and because I also have a super I learned things. By the way, when I got my MS it was about 3/4 full and the POR15 was about same. Keep it up and before you know it will be a driver. Never done but a driver.

Thanks Michael!
I do appreciate the comments.

Closer, closer.....
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: More baby steps... Reply with quote

So this last weekend I finished the chassis painting.
I finished it with the Rustoleum, satin Black #7777.
I liked it; works for me.

Next up, install a new shift bushing, then I can start reconditioning brakes and backing plates, then wheel cylinders and re-doing/installing new brake lines etc.

Onward and upward.

BTW, I will, at some time, upgrade to the front wheel disc brakes, but not, I think, at THIS time..

Ya just gotta stop.....
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Before you reinstall the body to the chassis, Install the heat pipes in the body. If you don't it's a PITA to get them installed with the body on the chassis, ask me how I know.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Before you reinstall the body to the chassis, Install the heat pipes in the body. If you don't it's a PITA to get them installed with the body on the chassis, ask me how I know.

I disagree. I can remember back to my first few times of having to remove the broken tubes and reinstall new ones with the pan and body still connected. It was not a hard job, just some thought was required. After removal of the fuel filler tube, and securing the wires that drop into there back. I then would reach down and pull the hose out while twisting it. I would use a mirror and a flashlight to make sure the entire tube had come out. Sometimes the last few rings would get stuck on the nipple. To remove those was a pin but not too difficult, big skinny screwdriver, bent just a tiny amount.

After that it was onto the install. I use 5/8” heater hose. Dropped that down into the abyss and then guided the end to drop into the nipple. After it was inserted, I would slide the air tube onto the heater hose and slide it down onto the nipple. The heater hose was a great guide and worked a treat! Once the air duct hose had been placed and interacting correctly with the nipple, the heater hose was withdrawn while holding the air tube hose in place with downwards pressure.

Not super easy but, in my opinion, easier than dropping a body onto a pan and trying to weasel the air hoses up into the abyss while guiding the entire car onto the pan.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

China Clipper, merely an opinion...but I would recommend you think about the F Disk Brake conversion now as opposed to later. And i only say this because you still have time (I'm assuming) before you drop the body on to the pan. The way I see it, you still have all your brake lines to do, rear brakes, trans and linkage, pan seal, etc, etc, etc. Save yourself some frustration by ordering just ahead of time so they arrive about the time you're ready to do the steering and F suspension.

On the note of R disk brakes, make sure you save the original spacers. you may need them. I'm currently trying to figure out how to button up my R disk brakes. One of my original spacers is cracked completely through so I'm hoping I don't need it. At first glance it appears I need one on the R side But I have to get a brake pro over here to check some tolerances for me before I torque down the castle nut.

Either way, your frame and pans look fantastic!
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Michael Ambrozik wrote:

I disagree. I can remember back to my first few times of having to remove the broken tubes and reinstall new ones with the pan and body still connected. It was not a hard job, just some thought was required. After removal of the fuel filler tube, and securing the wires that drop into there back. I then would reach down and pull the hose out while twisting it. I would use a mirror and a flashlight to make sure the entire tube had come out. Sometimes the last few rings would get stuck on the nipple. To remove those was a pin but not too difficult, big skinny screwdriver, bent just a tiny amount.

After that it was onto the install. I use 5/8” heater hose. Dropped that down into the abyss and then guided the end to drop into the nipple. After it was inserted, I would slide the air tube onto the heater hose and slide it down onto the nipple. The heater hose was a great guide and worked a treat! Once the air duct hose had been placed and interacting correctly with the nipple, the heater hose was withdrawn while holding the air tube hose in place with downwards pressure.

Not super easy but, in my opinion, easier than dropping a body onto a pan and trying to weasel the air hoses up into the abyss while guiding the entire car onto the pan.

I *THINK* he was referring to the bakelite tubes at the rear.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I was.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

That chassis looks VERY good. I hope to get mine as nice as yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 40

Jump to: