Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
She looks pretty in Silver! Girls like fine metals!

Impressive! Quite the transformation. Did you ever think you would get to this point? Awesome work!

Hee-hee, thanks, and true that Jimbo...
The fact is I didn't think it would take this long-2 years ago, silly me.
But now I see where there IS actually a light, albeit a faint one, at the end of a very long tunnel.

More painting, more sealing, more fender body work (those fenders are KILLING me) and then (deep breath) think about starting the engine....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
She looks pretty in Silver! Girls like fine metals!

Impressive! Quite the transformation. Did you ever think you would get to this point? Awesome work!

Hee-hee, thanks, and true that Jimbo...
The fact is I didn't think it would take this long-2 years ago, silly me.
But now I see where there IS actually a light, albeit a faint one, at the end of a very long tunnel.

More painting, more sealing, more fender body work (those fenders are KILLING me) and then (deep breath) think about starting the engine....

Baby steps! Stay focused and BABY STEPS!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I haven't posted in while, probably because I haven't been able to do much..
Life. It's a lot like that, right?
Who was it that said "Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans"?
Anyway, after some frustrations, I got some more MS paint, and the proper thinner, and it worked like a champ. (Thanks for that one Chuck Wink)
The master series looks GREAT stand alone as a "under paint", I will prime this and then paint when time with a urethane top coat. Finished with all the lower portions of the car, and the luggage tray and front inners. I will do the wheel wells, and then will be done with the MS paint. Love the Frankenstein-look with the luggage tray, hey, that's lot of welding and piecing and seam sealing baby....And I will be the only one to see it anyway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started my steering box repair, and noticed there is a bit of a hitch in the worm gear; dunno if it's normal or what. I KNOW I don't want to get a new one...$$$$$$.. I have it opened; I will refill and then seal it up with a new gasket and plugs (which I somehow misplaced and had to order AGAIN)
Argh..
Work work work!

Am I avoiding the fender body work, you ask?

Maybe...
Sigh..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Are you using that John Deere corn grease on the box?

Is that master series silver in the trunk?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

vamram:
No and yes. I'm gonna use an "00" grease I got at Tractor Supply Company.
I THINK JD corn head is "0", but they are similar?
The MS will be primed and covered with L60-D "ulmengruen"; (Elm Green) at least that's the plan Wink

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

Am I avoiding the fender body work, you ask? Maybe...

Me too! LOL. It seems I'll do anything but work on those fenders.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: No lie; Primer applied!! Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was able to get and apply my primer coats. I only spilled it once! Embarassed

Because of the nature of the sealer I used (Master Series) I wanted to get my primer on before the 48 hour window. After that, MS says you are supposed to "lightly scuff with 220 grit sandpaper". They also, in the same set of instructions, say "after seven days, lightly scuff.."

I was a bit confused, but wanting to "cover my six", and yet in the notion of "it's only steel", I figured three days after were probably ok to paint sans "scuffing". Laughing

I used a "high solids" primer (PPG "Shop Line" P202 K High Build Primer Surfacer) and used my modified "purple HF" spray gun to apply it. Two coats, and voila! Inside, heater channels, pans, luggage tray, "trunk", engine compartment in/out done! (topcoat to follow-news at eleven.. or twelve, or when ever)
Is it me or does the high solids primer look "good" when it's on? I like the look...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

It does look good!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

It is not the primer. It is all of the hard work that went into the sheet metal artistry. That canvas is so great that anything that touches it will look better! Even a flat gray monotone cover!

Well done Sir! You dun real good!

OK……enough loafing around. Onto the fenders!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
It is not the primer. It is all of the hard work that went into the sheet metal artistry. That canvas is so great that anything that touches it will look better! Even a flat gray monotone cover!

Well done Sir! You dun real good!

OK……enough loafing around. Onto the fenders!

Thanks guys! I will "endeavor to persevere...."
..... Funny fact? What movie? ||||||||||||
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Outlaw Josie Wales....

Attributed originally to Abe Lincoln.

Brought to you by Google.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Cooo-rect! vamram for the win. Movie was OJW.
Great movie BTW...

So today I got going with my fender. I think I have this thing were I sometimes feel like EVERTHING has to be PERFECT.
I keep trying to remember what someone said to me once "It's just steel!", and I got 'er dun.
First I removed the old cracked area, then cleaned it up and started fitting the patch.

The welding gods smiled at me, and so did the grinding gods (are they related, I wonder?) and she went together pretty good!

So what's next? Well other than me busting my steering box cover, (another post-another story Wink) I suppose more fenders and fitting.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Nice! Remember you want to have radiused corners on the patches.

Those corners are high stress points, especially with the over cutting. A lot of times the panel will crack from that hardened weld corner out to the bigger side of the panel. Not cool. Because the only real way to gain control of it is to do another bigger patch!

So, if you take a 3/8 drill bit and drill through the panel at the corners first. Then connect the dots with a cut off tool, everything stays status quo.

Keep on going!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

The ice is broken, the fenders have begun!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
vamram wrote:

vamram:
No and yes. I'm gonna use an "00" grease I got at Tractor Supply Company.
I THINK JD corn head is "0", but they are similar?
The MS will be primed and covered with L60-D "ulmengruen"; (Elm Green) at least that's the plan Wink

That is nearly the same stuff that I put in my steering box a few months ago; I'd noticed odd steering, and then my father noticed the cover plate moving around when I turned the wheel. The cover plate was not torqued down and the box was pretty dry as all the grease had pushed out. I filled it with Snapper 00 grease for use in Snapper Rear engine rider (my mowers have their engines hanging past the rear axle too Smile ) differential/chain case grease. I think I'd ordered my bottle from a small engine supply shop online (Jack's maybe?) when I restored that machine a few years ago. Steerling has improved dramatically as a result.

Great work on the car!!
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looking real nice.
Nothing like finally getting to spray.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Fender Work Reply with quote

Yesterday, after a small hiatus, I continued my fender restoration.
I think I am going to try to do "quadrants" rather than just fenders. When I put the left rear fender on, it came to me that that MAY be the way to proceed, at least for me.
Allow me, please, to present- and for the first time in a while- (warts and all) The Left Rear Quadrant.
Yes temped in, "in situ", and with the beading for fitting purposes. 'Tain't perfect, and yes, there is room for improvement, but 'tis a start.....

"I like (rear fenders) and I cannot lie"...... (hehehehe)

That lower boarder got kind of "jank-ity" when I tried sanding too soon, I think.

Yes, there will be lots more of sanding and priming and painting. It's giving me an idea of where I am and how far I need to go.

I will try and concentrate on each "quadrant", one at a time, and move after I feel it's ready.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

This part of the process is definitely a meditation. Be the journey. The destination arrives when it arrives.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Quick update:

No updates, actually; work, winter cold, and other "pressing" jobs like getting the yard ready for winter, fixing wife cars, cooking for the holidays, slopping the hogs, plowing the south forty.......

OK maybe the last two were a stretch, but the other were legit. You get the idea.
I hope I can get back to it soon. Still reading and watching others, tho, when I can.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Don't forget to install the phenolic resin heater tubes into the upper half before you join it to the pan! Don't ask me how I know this. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 40

Jump to: