Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Roof stuff is full of toxic stuff that gases off into the air. On a roof, no big deal. Inside a close up car interior, not so good. Your health is worth a few Pennies more!

I have had really good results using Dynamat. I purchased it from Amazon. It came with 9 sheets 18 x 32. Worked great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Sound deadening Reply with quote

Wow, this stuff is for real, yeah!
No pictures just a quick update:
I did put the sound deadener on the back luggage tray, over the wheel wells, and it made a real difference. Next I will do the little area above the luggage tray, the quarter panels, and inside of the doors.

If there is more left over, I will try to do the floor pans as well.

The difference is noticeable and frankly amazing. When you tap the non-deadened areas, it sounds "hollow-y" and "tinny". When you tap the sound deadened, it just "thuds".
Of course that is what you expect right? BTW, I also got the carpet underliner kit that you can get from the VW places; it is the padding that goes on. It is an actually sound minimizer", versus a "deadener".
There IS a difference.
Later
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Brakes Getting Ready Reply with quote

Today I completed the work on the brake lines and connections.

I installed new rubber connections between the master cylinder, and also the original stock brake fluid reservoir.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can bet I checked clearance between the lines and the steering U-joint. They look close, but they are actually about 2 cm below the U joint.

Notice I did use the clamps on the MC tube side of the lines.

I figured clamps on the reservoir, the top tubes and at the master cylinder was too much. I don't believe there were clamps on ANY of the OEM lines, just a push or friction fit. I do have 'em if anyone feels they are necessary Wink
I will fill up the reservoir, the MC and read up/do the MC and brake bleeding soon.

Next is to re-work the rear passenger compartment heating cables-yeah, they somehow "got cut" when I removed the old pans.... Argh.
So, these will be re-fabricated, new cables installed and locked in ( I do have the old clips VW used, go figure right?) and then new heater cables to the motor will also be installed.

Wow! The motor.. I haven't even THOUGHT about the motor in more than 2 years..

It's getting closer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Nice update! You are swiftly getting through all of the tidily bits!

Where the brake lines, from the reservoir, go through the body, VW used a odd rubber like putty. It was grey and pliable. I assume it was to keep the lines from rubbing the body and creating a leak out spot in the line. You may want to insert some type of “putty” or just a split section of brake line over the steel line. Take a 4 inch section of the tubing, slice it once length wise. Squirt some wd40 into the hose and slide it over the steel line down into the hole. It should stay wrapped around the steel line. If not a small wire tie works great!

You do not need hose clamps on those hoses. There is no pressure on them at all. The clamps actual wear a hose out in that area. VW did not use any clamps on these lines from the factory.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice update! You are swiftly getting through all of the tidily bits!

Thanks VW_Jimbo. Great suggestions,all. They will be implemented.

BTW, just scored a front seat, entire seat, from the same guy I got a fender from 2 years ago. He says he’s going out of business and sellin’ everything. He has probably 4-5 garage sized storage places FULL of VW beetle parts here in town. I hope I can pick up a few deals.
He says he’s gonna put up ads online at Samba, and in the local paper in October.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Impressive progress!
BUT:
Will you not paint the wheel wells? Or will you dis-assemble the suspension when you paint the exterior? I mean, I applied elastic paint (some kind of sprayable sealant/mastic) then painted and then installed suspension.
Will you not strip and paint all suspension parts? The body is so clean now, new bushings, brake pipes, etc, but the struts look rusty?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Impressive progress!
BUT:
Will you not paint the wheel wells?

Yes! the wheel wheels now are painted with Master Series Primer coat. It's like "Por-15", only better, IMHO. I will paint them with a...well... in truth tzepesh, I haven't decided yet. Hence the white canvas look. Either the basecoat green, or the black "undercoat". Maybe both?
tzepesh wrote:
Or will you dis-assemble the suspension when you paint the exterior? I mean, I applied elastic paint (some kind of sprayable sealant/mastic) then painted and then installed suspension.
Will you not strip and paint all suspension parts? The body is so clean now, new bushings, brake pipes, etc, but the struts look rusty?

This I know; it's what I have been rolling over in my mind. I really wanted to get all four wheels on the ground, so I pushed ahead a bit, knowing I wouldn't exactly be done with the wheel well dressings or the suspension. While I am NOT looking to create a "showroom-like quality new car", I don't want a "resurrected junker" look either... Rolling Eyes

I'm not quite sure what I'll do with the suspension, paint, etc, but I may just mask off the shock and springs part and paint the wells, then mask the wells and dress up the suspension. Yeah, yeah, that's what I'll do...Not perfect, but...

Sigh

Hehehe Thanks for giving me more things to do before I get this thing runnin'....

J/K- I appreciate your feedback! Wink
CC
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Flash! No major news to report.. That is all! Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry, no major issues or news. I have been working on the details of my seats, just got them all broken down:Now getting them clean and painted, and will start fitment and assembling them. I thought MAYBE I could use the old covers, but no way, the drivers side is thrashed; so it's new seat covers, at LEAST for the drivers side.

I have replaced pans, so I am wondering how THAT will affect my fitment. I've done some research-the pans were for the 1971 super beetle, but I am not sure the seat I have will match the seat rails. Argh TBD... (to be determined)
I will have more to report, I hope, after the weekend.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Seats please, take your seats please! Reply with quote

Last weekend was another foray in many hours of, I think, seat/seating makeover.

I had to do some fine tuning on my floor pan rails; they weren't jibing with my "new seat" I picked up from a guy here in town. The "old seat" bottom I had seemed to have lost the adjuster device, the one with the little spring loaded clippee thing. So, I needed to either replace it (the adjuster clippee thing) or get a "new seat" bottom. Yeah, good luck on that one right? Well, I found that the "new" seat , which was a 1971 seat, had the adjuster clippee thing, but it didn't seem to match the rails I had on my floor pans. Argh!
This is what I had:

This is what I needed to do to make it fit:

The inboard pan rail was "adjusted", the outboard pan rail worked fine; I welded a "clip" on the underside of the outboard rail on the "new seat" that grabs the outboard pan rail to "enhance" the effectiveness of the rail. It gives it more of that "C" shape clip to the rail instead of the "L" shape.

BTW, You can see the passengers seat in the background-can't wait to see how the rails on the bottom of the seat and/or the floor pan are going to be fabricated to fit.....

Bonus: The seat itself is in good shape, so no need to replace anything except maybe the old coconut husk "horse hair" padding. (fingers crossed)

I also had to manipulate those little "teeth" on the inboard rail to be able to mesh with the adjuster thingee on the "new seat".

All and all about 4 hours of "fiddly bits" that needed tending.

Then, I found out that the frame back of the "new seat" I got was rusted out! So I needed to replace the "new seat" frame back with the "old seat" frame back-but just the top part. . Yeah, on the "new seat", the top part was completely rusted out, (looks like mice had been living there-ugh!) so I had to remove the rusted part on the "new seat" and replace it with the top part from my "old seat" back. Are you following this? Yeah.. A major "Charlie Foxtrot".

It was quite a task to remove the tack welded top and replace it. Got a lot of use from my "BFH" and some choice words as well getting the "old" "donor" seat back off and getting it to fit on the "new" "recipient" seat back.
That was done, then I test fitted the "new seat" back to the "new seat" bottom; then tested it in the car too. Looks like it will work! However, slight problem:

Yeah, this thing! What's it called? It was REALLY stiff and stuck; I lubed it with WD-40, then wiped that and tried some graphite lube. I even replaced the spring that it has to keep that little latch closed, and opens to push the seat back forward let someone in the back seat. It appears to have been just "unused" and stuck for a long time. Does anyone have any resources on how to maybe remove, clean and re-attach this part?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Seat/back work et al Reply with quote

This weekend I did more seat work. I'd like to have these little things out of the way before I get the car painted. Smile
The drivers' side seat base, now with the seat rails, and adjustable -Yay!

And the burlap covering (prevents the coconut hair from falling out and making a large mess)

With the coconut padding

.. And the old cover. Yeah, I know, but I kinda like it. I actually made a patch for the underside, so I got a bit of strength back into it.

And the back that I had to rework!

And there ya have it. I did a quick scrub with Simple Green and water, will f/u with a more extensive scrub at a later date. Also need to get the heat gun and set the piping edges a bit better. (camera never lies.. argh) BTW, did VW have a light colored seat back adjuster, or was it always that basic black? It now works really nice!

And from the front....Ha, I need to get those buttons in!

The passenger side (drinker's side) is also pretty good. The seat rail will require some modification. I intend to weld a bracket on like I did with the drivers side, and also need to implement some kind of bracket/seat adjust system. Here's the first offering, just set in, no weld, no fasteners yet. The seat adjuster on the seat bottom will have to mate up with these "teeth" to lock the seat in place; crude, but effective. You are looking at the outboard rail, and the adjuster teeth, from the inside. Front of car is to the left...

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Passengers' (Drinkers) side seat work Reply with quote

So today, it was time to fabricate, install, and test the passengers side seat track and adjustment parts.

Hehehe, but first, I just HAD to show you my buttons I made and installed. I think it REALLY dresses up the old seats and I highly recommend it. One of the VW parts company wanted like $60 for 8 buttons, so I just bought a button maker and used some vinyl patch cloth I bought for the seats and made my own. I just love 'em. It was kinda fun. The needle the button kit and the buttons were like $30 for everything, so, it was worth it.

PS -I had lots of fun with the seats and the old upholstery. I REALLY hope the back seat and its components are also as much fun Wink

BTW, You can actually see the back of the passengers seat and one of its buttons behind the drivers seat. Its just there because I haven't put it on the seat bottom permanently yet.

I am fairly certain the pan I installed was NOT compatible with my seats I had. I had a older passengers side and a newer drivers side that the PO had fortunately included with the bug. As stated previously, he (she?) had installed (rather poorly, IMHO) some nasty old non-VW seats, which I of course, immediately removed.

Anyway, I had a little trouble with the pan track/adjuster on the drivers side, but it was taken care of. (See previous posts).

So now, it was time to address the drinkers side.

I decided to fabricate a "male" portion/bracket of the adjuster that would have "teeth" that would "mate" with the "female" part on the seat bottom rail.
You are looking down on the bracket, to the right would be front of vehicle.

It took a bit of filing, and grinding, and work to make them mate up, but I think it was worth it. I had originally thought I'd weld the bracket part to the pan, but after a few trials, I decided just to bolt it down, with a 16 gauge backing plate, and washers to adjust the height. I could manipulate the washers to create a perfect match, and have a little more flexibility with the whole thing; so.....

Those are some BIG bolts through the bracket and through the floorboard. The two metal screws were there for initial fitting, so I just left 'em in so there wouldn't be a leak!

And here's the finished adjuster plate. I circled the good part in blue. You can appreciate how the "female" part on the seat part of the adjuster mate with the "teeth" on the bottom bracket part. I had to do a bit of adjusting on the seat bottom part too, opened up the gap a bit; but just a bit. I did do some more "adjusting" after the picture was taken, I just didn't include it here. You get the idea....

I know, I know; I did paint the seat bottom AFTER this picture was taken! Wink
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

I think those seats look pretty awesome! They got that O.G. patina going on, and I really like those "Custom" buttons too. You really got some imagination and craftsmanship STILL going on. I really enjoy reading your stuff...so much enthusiasm!!

Can't wait for PAINT!!
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Agree on the seats. Mine is currently undergoing full rebuild. Paint, wheels, roof, carpet, etc. I'm even doing a full refurb on the steering wheel, but I'm keeping the original seat covers and door cards (just cleaned up) as that just seems "right". Seeing this confirms that choice.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Hmm... Your redone front seats have the '68 & '69 style "wide" headrests... Confused '70 thru '72 had the narrower style. '70 seat base was the last one using the basic seat track design; '71 & '72 had the wider-lip tracks...

Yours:

'69 US Sales brochure:

'71 & '72 (djghia's gallery, though reupholstered in non-stock scheme)
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hmm... Your redone front seats have the '68 & '69 style "wide" headrests... Confused '70 thru '72 had the narrower style. '70 seat base was the last one using the basic seat track design; '71 & '72 had the wider-lip tracks...

Thanks Macjelly58 and Puppy67!

Rome, you could very well be correct. Sharp eyes! The PO had replaced the seats with some nasty off-market brand, and these were the ones he gave to me when I got the car. I KNOW the seat rails were NOT 1971 bottoms...
Well, I still like the buttons!

You gotta get those buttons on Rome! Maybe someday I'll replace the seat covers... and.... the tops......

...well, not soon tho! Wink
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Fenders?? I though ya'd finished the fenders...... Reply with quote

...yeah, don't 'cha know it?

This last few weeks have been pretty cra-cra.
I had the brother from the left coast over to see the VW progress, so that was fun.
Did some work on the back inside vents (see other post), need to get those going. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=773930&highlight=

I "temped" the back seat covers- realizing I would eventually have to replace the whole kit and kaboodle, I just redid the seats with the PO old covers.

Not a bad plan, but they're not exactly perfect. Had to make a few "alterations" to make 'em fit, but "good enough for government work", as they say.

I DID do some fender work. The outer portions are ready, you know, fix the bolt holes, repair minor cracks, replace some steel, etc so other than some light body work, they're done
Yeah, I am a BIG fan of the Master Series Silver Primer. I used the foam brush and got pretty good results.

I was gonna spray, but that involves a TON of prep for this paint so...
These will eventually be primed and painted, and probably even "undercoated" to make it fairly impervious to salt and grime. It's not perfect, but if it can last for 20-30 years, I'm good with that. Wink

Plan is to get the fenders on the body, and start sanding and getting ready for the first paint undercoat on the body/fenders.

It is so much easier sanding the fenders when they are on something solid, like the body. I haven't been able to find anything affordable that can do a better job.

What are others doing to hold the fenders when you're working on 'em??

Next step after that, I guess, would be then, sealer, primer, and base coats and clear.

Still haven't decided how much is gonna be me and how much is gonna be a paid painter.....

I think I know a few things:
1) the extensive/expensive body work is done
2) This is NOT gonna be a "show finish" I won't spend $3k-$5k for paint.
3) This is a hobby adventure, NOT a job (repeat until I believe it)
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

I'm not quite sure what I'll do with the suspension, paint, etc

I am a huge fan of Rustoleum satin black. It's very clean looking without being glossy. It sticks to anything. It covers very well. It takes a week or so to truly harden and from there it is hard and strong. It comes in rattle can and in cans for brushing. It is available at every hardware store, auto parts store, department store, pet store... well maybe not pet store. It touches up perfectly even years later. I love the stuff. With the exception of my fender wells, which I lipsticked because my bug is sporting Topline struts with red springs, my whole underside from stem to stern is Rustoleum satin black. Spray it on everything and you will be very happy with the result. And I do mean everything: wheel wells struts and springs, brake lines and hoses too, tie rod ends, nuts and bolts too. None of that shiny metal will last if you drive your car, it will all be cruddy in a year so protect it with a clean black finish! Spray it all.

Did I say I like the stuff? LoL
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.

Last edited by Buggeee on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fenders?? I though ya'd finished the fenders...... Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

It is so much easier sanding the fenders when they are on something solid, like the body. I haven't been able to find anything affordable that can do a better job.

What are others doing to hold the fenders when you're working on 'em??

I so wish I had prepped my fenders bolted to the body before painting the body.

I had impulsively painted the body first and the months later realized the logistical error.

I used a body shop stand that is kind of like an oversized x shaped saw horse with foam on the top rails. I got it done but it was a total pain in the you know what.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fenders?? I though ya'd finished the fenders...... Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

I used a body shop stand that is kind of like an oversized x shaped saw horse with foam on the top rails. I got it done but it was a total pain in the you know what.

Buggeee: Yeah, thanks for the reply/advice. I have that same support but it just doesn't work for the fenders like I had hoped. Something about the round surfaces of those fenders that just doesn't work with those stands... It might work when it's time to paint?

I think I'm gonna try to paint the wheel wells with the "Elm Green" L60D official color, then some kind of undercoating. Should be about bulletproof with that M/S underneath it.

I like your idea of spraying the struts etc with the Rustoleum Satin Black.
Hehehe , I think I may have some of it around somewhere... Wink
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

For spraying the fenders with paint, I just set them each on a cheap plastic sawhorse from Harbor Freight. You can catch a glimpse in the pictures in my build thread for the 72 Super Beetle. They are precarious like that, however. Even the air pressure of the spray gun can make them wave in the wind, which is nerve-wracking!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 40

Jump to: