Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you trust this battery charger?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

I inherited this charger and I imagine that I imagine was made in the 70's. It's been sitting on the shelf since I got it as I have another much newer one.

My question is - would you still trust it to use it?

I didn't want to use it/give it away/sell it if it's outdated and shouldn't be used.
It's in good shape - no frayed wires, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

A batter charger is not the same as a batter tender. One is designed to charge a battery that is dead while the other is used to maintain a battery that is not being used.

It's probably OK to use for it's intended purpose.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

I’ve had one like that for over 25 years.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Yes I sure would. We have an old Diehard at home from Sears it seldom gets used my dad bought it new in 1983 works like a charm and it lived most of its life outside because we don’t have a garage. But I always bring it in for the winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

This charger was made by either Schauer or Woodward-Schumacher for Sears. It has the Sears logo that was used starting in 1984, so it's no older than that.

These work great if your battery has gone dead from sitting for too long and you want to give it an overnight charge in the garage.

Too bad it doesn't have a switch for 6-volt charging.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Absolutely!

A great charger! They don't make them like this any longer. Use it and treasure it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

why do you think it will not work?
just because it is old
does not make any difference if that was the case then through you old VW away

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

halfassleatherworks wrote:
why do you think it will not work?
just because it is old
does not make any difference if that was the case then through you old VW away

Because technology changes, I'm not mechanically knowledgeable about these things and I know that there are folks on here that are.

Thanks for everyone's input. It's a keeper.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

No joke i have the same exact one if not nearly identical. works great. It was stored in a barn until i inherited it.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Lead acid batteries, none of the new fangled stuff, different internal resistance.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Lead acid batteries, none of the new fangled stuff, different internal resistance.

To clarify....... use only on

FLOODED lead acid batteries.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

I assume by "newfangled" batteries, you people mean stuff like Optima.

For my batteries, I've used my 1970s era Schauer charger for decades, typical Interstate, Autozone, O'Reilly batteries.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

its better thaqn the modern chargers that wil not charge a dead battery....for some reason...I use battery chargers to charge dead batterys, the batterys that arent dead dont need charging...go figure.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Mine looks about as old as that one!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Yes! Use it, it's a keeper for sure! I scour garage sales for those old chargers for the reason stated below.
mark tucker wrote:
its better thaqn the modern chargers that wil not charge a dead battery....for some reason...I use battery chargers to charge dead batterys, the batterys that arent dead dont need charging...go figure.

Modern chargers Mark are designed to be idiot proof. That means they are polarity protected so that the average idiot cannot reverse the polarity and plug it in causing damage to the charger, battery and possibly the idiot. So they need to sense polarity before they will give an output. If the battery is dead or very close to it there will not be a strong enough polarity feed back to trigger the sensing circuitry and allow the charger to output a charge.

Yes hook a stone dead battery in parallel with one that has some charge with the charger on both for a while and the dead one will come up enough for the modern charger to recognize it as a legit polarity and charge it on it's own.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes! Use it, it's a keeper for sure! I scour garage sales for those old chargers for the reason stated below.
mark tucker wrote:

Modern chargers Mark are designed to be idiot proof. That means they are polarity protected so that the average idiot cannot reverse the polarity and plug it in causing damage to the charger, battery and possibly the idiot. So they need to sense polarity before they will give an output. If the battery is dead or very close to it there will not be a strong enough polarity feed back to trigger the sensing circuitry and allow the charger to output a charge.

Yes hook a stone dead battery in parallel with one that has some charge with the charger on both for a while and the dead one will come up enough for the modern charger to recognize it as a legit polarity and charge it on it's own.

This type of design and related government agencies that protect "stupid" I see as one of the main reasons we are inundated with "stupid" today.

Agencies such as OSHA have protected people who are too dumb to stay alive without help. These folk were able to now live long enough so they were able to reproduce ....... creating yet more and more stupid. ....... Laughing Wink

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

Harsh Dave, harsh!

Not saying you are wrong....

State sponsored attempt to reverse Darwen's theory of evolution I say. Started with automatic transmissions... progressed to antilock brakes, traction control, light sensing headlight switches, climate control, proximity sensors in the bumpers... The self driving car is the pinnacle of that effort.

Behold the semi comatose modern driver! Rolling Eyes

On to that dream of... flying cars?

Ha!

The most recent batch of drivers would be completely flummoxed in an old VW with a stick and manual steering on a one dimensional road, add three dimensions? Good Lord save us!!!!

Don't mind me, just an old Coot with some runaway early morning thoughts - needing a cup of coffee...

Where is it... oop! Found the tea... all good now! Very Happy
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

I have one like it but it has 6/12v switch

it's a great old unit, i'd use it without hesitation

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Harsh Dave, harsh!

Not saying you are wrong....

State sponsored attempt to reverse Darwen's theory of evolution I say. Started with automatic transmissions... progressed to antilock brakes, traction control, light sensing headlight switches, climate control, proximity sensors in the bumpers... The self driving car is the pinnacle of that effort.

Behold the semi comatose modern driver! Rolling Eyes

On to that dream of... flying cars?

Ha!

The most recent batch of drivers would be completely flummoxed in an old VW with a stick and manual steering on a one dimensional road, add three dimensions? Good Lord save us!!!!

Don't mind me, just an old Coot with some runaway early morning thoughts - needing a cup of coffee...

Where is it... oop! Found the tea... all good now! Very Happy

With the exception of the anti lock brakes I agree.
with anti lock brakes I can autocross without flatspoting my tires to bad on my old 88 Corvette.
oops Can't say that on here it doesn't have a water cooled flat 4 in it, I mean a air cooled motor.
Time to go back to bed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you trust this battery charger? Reply with quote

I like Coots served hot, with a piping plover starter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: