Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

Anyone done this? I have one of these system on a motor - not my choice, and the bearing is grumbling. Are they easy to change?
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

Just order one from mst?
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

The bearing assy. just bolts on.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

If you can just take it apart and read the number on the bearings and order new ones. I’ve never touched one of those pulleys myself. But that’s how I’ve done pretty much everything that ever used a standard bearing.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

Done it now. Thanks for the replies.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Done it now. Thanks for the replies.

Ya' gonna tell us what you did, so we can learn from it ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

Well, when I had a look at it, the idler wheel is literally the bearing. The belt simply rides on the bearing edge. I sourced a 3303-ZZ Double Row Bearing (17mm x 47mm x 22.5mm) off of Ebay - £10.00 rather than £30.00 for a 'genuine' MST one. The old one unbolts quite easily with a 15mm spanner and new one fitted. Voila.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

Told you. Easy right?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

eBay
The best China can supply
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing idler bearing on MST serpentine Reply with quote

The bearing I ended up buying is made in Britain actually. The 'ones MST supply for 3 times the cost are Chinese.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: