Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dove Blue spray match?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any leads on a Dove Blue match in a spray can? I'm about to start reassembling some things and would like a spray can option for a couple items that either didn't get painted or have been misplaced between here and the paint shop. The items I may need to paint aren't super important, but I'd like it to be as close as possible.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

I have auto paint supply shop in my area and they have the dove blue color code on file. They also can put it into rattle cans. The only thing is you have to buy a quart of paint.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

yep, ask your local auto body supply jobber, most can do it, it's about $20 a can in Houston
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Which by no means guarantees the new dove blue will match what your paint shop did. Colours vary widely wuth the same code
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

So I kept reading these "go to the auto paint store" comments. I decided to go to one in my area. I did my research, read the threads, came up with the PPG code etc etc. The guy behind the counter said the PPG code was no help. He asked if I had any other code. I said yes, "L53". I thought for sure there was no way a modern paint shop could do anything with an original VW code. I the guy took a minute and showed me the screen and asked if it was an ugly red. Sure enough, its Sealing Wax Red. $25 per can. You do need a clearcoat though. Theirs is a two stage paint. Semi gloss is good for my old faded paint.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

My local shop wants $60 to match the paint, $45 more for a 12 oz spray can. I’ve bought a coupla cans from online suppliers, and they don’t match at all, despite crazy $.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Try LKQ. Its the big box store of junkyards. They sell used and aftermarket parts. Mine in Portland has the paint shop to make it easy to buy a used or new bumper etc and respray it. They have locations in Redding and Sacramento.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

I've used this company before with good results, and they shipped quick:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/volkswagen/1957/all-models/
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ll update in a couple of weeks when I choose one.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Not a spray can, but porcelain. This looks close to dove blue to me, but then again I’m visually impaired.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jpeters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dove Blue spray match? Reply with quote

Looks Dove Blue to me.
'65 Bug
'63 Bug

neverdnf on Instagram
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: