Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Here's my bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the horrible secret lurking in the back:

Shocked Evil or Very Mad
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Here's what I intend to do about it:

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

MountainKeep wrote:

Here's the horrible secret lurking in the back:

pfft. watch this Laughing

if that's a horrible secret I have no idea what to call mine Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Hello,
Damn, Skills. That is clean....
At times, it's good to be sinful...
Oh, and Mountainkeep.
Very nice bus you have there.
Yet, your avitar is a little too much info... at least for me. No offense implied.
I'm glad to see your a happy girl though...

Last edited by Angus II on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

While that conversion is obviously a hack,

i'll bet you'll miss it when it comes time to drive the thing with that 'new' motor.

If that were mine,
I'd be re-doing the conversion with a proper mount bar and upright fan..

What’s That Noise?!?
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
i'll bet you'll miss it when it comes time to drive the thing with that 'new' motor.

If that were mine,
I'd be re-doing the conversion with a proper mount bar and upright fan..

Truth

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Hack job! That's original German angle iron in my bus! Laughing

Nothing wrong with type 4's.. I just that I want to make my 71 a 71 again... with that new-fangled "engine tin" stuff that everybody keeps talking about and all!
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Hope this avatar is more to your liking Angus II... Me in my blacksmith shop. Rolling Eyes
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

So you have a type 4 conversion and want to put a 73 type 1 bug engine into your 71 type2 bus. Can you give specifics on what parts you are planing to use? Maybe some pictures. Firewall tin, transmission, brackets, and etc Maybe these guys can answer in detail what you will need to do and get.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Thanks for your post Xevin. I would love to put my bus back to stock as I can afford to get it. I know it will be slower, but that is fine with me. I wish I could afford a freshly rebuilt 71 motor, but this is the best I can find locally and in my price range. This new motor is a '73 1600 dp out of a Super Beetle supposedly (AH317186).
I believe I still have the original 3 rib transmission in the bus currently. I have a 71 rear apron to replace the one they took a torch to. I have a "71 only" firewall tin on the way.... along with the oil cooler tin that goes through it. I have the original mustache bar, but I will unfortunately have to use the hotly debated adapter, as there is no metal to drill and tap on this motor. I think this motor has been used in a bus before because there are extra long studs on the oil pump cover already... At least motor mount brackets on the frame were spared the torch... so that's good. I will be looking for some replacement sheet metal for the sides of the motor bay that they cut out. I may have to blacksmith up something and weld it in to close up the holes on either side. I will also be looking for the original breather set up.
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Oh, and I will be getting the rear tin/breast plate for this new motor soon as well. And I will have to do a little more research to see if I will need another 30 amp voltage regulator for the generator. They left the old one in the bus... I just don't know if it works.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

and I'd just suggest a new muffler too... single exhaust to the side.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

And check those manifold heat risers are clean.

No expert on trans and engine compatibility. Is it a 3rib that originally came with a type 4 engine?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Hello,
If they left the original voltage regulator in place, it would be an 38 amp. regulator; not 30 amp.
The 71 bus came with an 38 amp generator, dished mounting plate/tin and wider fan. To go with the dog house tin and cooler.
Do you use coal or propane for your forge?
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

I will check the heat risers, thanks. And I believe the three rib transmission was used in '71 with a 1600... So I'm thinking/hoping it will work with this '73 1600.
And yes I hope to get the right exhaust set up as well.
And someone here on the samba said I would need a 30 amp for a bug motor.. I really don't know what I need in that regard.
And Angus, I use coal... I prefer metallurgical grade bituminous.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Don’t forget to find or fab a brake booster compatible intake manifold!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Nice Bus, I have the correct intake with the proper port for brake booster, PM for details
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

Thanks y'all. That's a useful bit of information. I hadn't known there was no port for a brake booster on this new motor. I will have to look into that. Yay! More time and money! But some people think having functioning brakes is important... Laughing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

MountainKeep wrote:
Thanks y'all. That's a useful bit of information. I hadn't known there was no port for a brake booster on this new motor. I will have to look into that. Yay! More time and money! But some people think having functioning brakes is important... Laughing

I mean, your brakes will still FUNCTION, but they'll need a few hundred pounds of pressure to lock the wheels… Laughing

The manifold can't be swapped with the engine in, so solve this issue before proceeding. The manifold off a '71+ Auto-Stick Type 1 will also work, as it has the same vacuum take-off port.

--

Here is a factory "moustache bar" aka the rear engine carrier bar.

It supports the engine from three threaded mounts in a factory bus engine case.

If you don't have those holes on your bug engine case, you'll need to pick up an adapter, which is occasionally frowned upon, but often used successfully on cars that don't see marathon drives and rough off-roading.

--

I've never been to North Carolina, but if it's ever above 25% humidity or below 75°f, you'll want working preheated air for your carburetor. This here is a "stove pipe" and it installs before the rear breast tin. It connects to the stock air filter to take in warm air from around the heads and encourage proper fuel atomization.

I'm sure the good folks here will have more to say as you post more pictures.

See you on the road,
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Heinous Sin Against Nature... There's a 72 Type 4 in my 71 Bus! Reply with quote

you can make some of that money back by selling your running type4 that you have now. Best to take the buyer for a ride and let them hear/see it run before you pull it. (dibbs!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: