Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking tire size advice
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

I purchased some new chrome 5.5" wide 15" 4x130 smoothie rims that I will be putting on my '76 convertible. June Bug currently has 165R15 tires on 4" stock rims, but I have been wanting to put some wider tires on her. I also would like to lower the front end, and I'm wondering if I can accomplish both goals at once. Seeking feedback on whether this is a bad idea from a mechanical or aesthetic standpoint.

Here is what I'm thinking:

205/65/R15 tires are essentially the same diameter/circumference as stock, but 2" wider. If I put these on the rear axle, the stance would be the same as currently, just wider.

If I put 205/45/R15 tires on the front, I'm essentially achieving a 1.6" lowering of the front spindles, bring the chassis more into a level stance.

Here are the tire size comparisons:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts? I am aware this would mean that my speedometer would become inaccurate, and that I would be putting additional rpms on the front end. Neither of these variables concern me much. But if these tires would interfere with suspension components or not tuck well under the fenders, I definitely want to know that.

Thank you!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

Your average stock 4x130 5.5 chrome wheel is going to have quite a bit of the offset to the outside. You may not have an issue with the tires rubbing due to the diameter, but I would imagine the tread will stick out at least an inch past the fender. If you get smaller diameter tires, but don’t lower the suspension, you’ll create a larger gap between the tire fender. Here’s some pics of a common “Cal-Look” 145/80, and a 175/55 on a 4.5 rim. The suspension has also been lowered 2.5 inches with adjustable struts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

If you're like me and trying to put 205 or 215 on stock rims, you'll probably find you'll have a hell of a time trying to find a reputable shop to do it for you. They are asking for a 5.5" rim for those sizes, so you may have to go to a one off shop or similar. No Les Schwabs, Costcos, or Discount Tires, etc...
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
If you're like me and trying to put 205 or 215 on stock rims, you'll probably find you'll have a hell of a time trying to find a reputable shop to do it for you. They are asking for a 5.5" rim for those sizes, so you may have to go to a one off shop or similar. No Les Schwabs, Costcos, or Discount Tires, etc...

I'm talking about putting these on 5.5" smoothies.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

I have a 195/65 on a 5.5 inch rim on the back. A 205 will most likely fit, I’m just more partial to a 195. A 5.5 rim on the back isn’t much of an issue, so maybe get a pair for the back, then install one of just the rims on the front to see how much it may stick out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

If you just put smaller diameter tires on the front, it will lower the car but also increase the gap between the top of the tire and the fender.

This is a 195/60-15 on a stock height 74 Standard.

This is the same 195/60-15 on the same 74 Standard with the front lowered 3"

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking tire size advice Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If you just put smaller diameter tires on the front, it will lower the car but also increase the gap between the top of the tire and the fender.

This is a 195/60-15 on a stock height 74 Standard.

Eww. I don't like that large gap. Good point. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: