Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tried everything to get the engine to run right.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

So after I broke the transmission in my 67 last June.
I have been unable to get the engine to run correctly.

My engine is running weakly! Like it is on 2 cylinders. But not. The engine will idle once warmed to operating temp.

I drove the car last Tuesday and matted the throttle pedal in 2nd gear. This should have spun the rear tires on a wet street. It didn't! Sad

I have done the following checks/fixes trying to get the engine run right. To no avail!
I didn't "shotgun" these changes. After every step. I tested the engine running condition.
Adjusted the valve lash. No change.
Point gap. No change.
Replaced the points. Timing adjusted. No change.
Swapped the distributor (from a 009 to a 010) with new spark plugs and wires. Timing adjusted. No change.
Cleaned the carbs. No change.
Checked and synced the carbs. Verified the carb flow and linkage were synced. No change.
Pulled the carb jets and cleaned then with, carb cleaner. Blew out the jets with compressed air. No change..
BTW, the intake manifolds are tight and there are no vacuum leaks.

To date I haven't ran a leak down test or compression test.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on with this engine. The engine just seems gutless. This poor running came on, all of the sudden on an evening drive. The power went from set me back in the seat back. To weak acceleration and poor running.

I have a free weekend and want to get this fixed (with your help) by Sunday afternoon.

2180cc
86b cam
Tim's stage 2 heads. Match ported intakes
Dellorto 45's, Jetting will be posted tomorrow. The jetting as is, ran 14.4 in the 1/4 mile last June 2nd.
1.58th CSP EVO exhaust, with 1 5/8th heater boxes and dual mufflers.

Any idea's stand out?

I'm lost as to where to look further.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Davada66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

YOU GOT YOUR FIRING ORDER RIGHT 1432? WHEN IT RUNNING TURN THE DISTRIBUTOR UNTIL IT RUN BETTER.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Do that compression test, something must show signs of a malfunction... What do the plugs look like? Side-to-side comparison?

Have you run it in the dark, looking for electrical leaks?

A baffle come loose in the exhaust? (I say this because you say it went from good to bad in an instant)

Nothing chassis related? Rubbing brakes, 'frinstance.

Fuel flow volume and pressure?

jut throwing out ideas...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Any chance the new transaxle has a higher final drive ratio?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Check the throttle cable to make sure it is opening the carbs all the way and the barrel nut is tight so the cable isn't slipping and pulling loose. Don't laugh but I have see a rock get wedged under the gas peddle inside the car not allowing full throttle.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

The very first thing to do is a leakdown test. There is no need in doing anything until you know the internals of the motor are in good shape. Otherwise, your pissin' in the wind. (mild Jerry Jeff Walker reference)

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Cam going flat?
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Plug wires? didn't see that on list
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

I agree that a compression test should be the first thing BUT, if the carb sync is still spot on then I doubt it's the compression. A weak cyl isn't going to be sucking as hard and the sync tool would have shown a major difference.

I would definitely check the throttle cable.

I will gift you a nugget of wisdom I have acquired since 1970. When something weird like this crops up immediately after you've worked on a previously perfectly running car it's most likely something you messed up on. It's not some totally new problem. Work your way back through the job you just did until you find your mistake.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Sorry saw it after re read
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Thank you for the input so far.

The gear ratios in the new trans are stock. It's a pro street build. I broke the spider gears on the stock trans.

The firing order is correct. Although, the way the engine is running. Makes it seem like I have the firing order off. I have checked it many times to make sure it is correct. I'm having a hard time describing the problem.

I'll check the throttle cable. But the issue is that the engine is down on power. There is no stone under the pedal preventing full throttle.

If a cam lobe was going flat. I imagine that the carbs would not flow at the same rate carb throat to carb throat.

The spark plug wires are new 8.2mm CB wires. Distributor cap is new. Points are new. Condenser??? Used but was working last time I had the 010 dist. on the engine.

Fuel flow? I'll check that too this morning. The fuel pressure is regulated by a Malpassi regulator. I haven't monkied with the regulator. It has been flawless in performance since I installed it. But it is something worth checking.

Regarding the last thing I did maintenance wise before this issue cropped up. Nothing! The engine was reinstalled by the trans builder after a warranty repair. The builder is a top notch mechanic locally. And I trust his work.

Once the sun comes up and frost melts. I'll get to work!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Did this all happen with the transaxle change? If so, maybe check the ground strap.

I’ve had two problems I’ve come across that seemed as if they would never be solved, and they finally were once I started checking things that could have NEVER caused the issue. By all means check the obvious, but once that’s done check the non-obvious.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Fouled Plugs.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Joe, Fresh plug when I swapped the distributor. I thought that was the issue. No change after the plug change and dist. swap.

Keeton, that's one thing I have not had a look at. I'll check it out.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

For the fuel, it's the volume flow vs. time which is important for starvation.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
For the fuel, it's the volume flow vs. time which is important for starvation.

I'm running a Carter 60504 (IIRC) FP. It has never let me down on filling the float bowls. Except at about the 3/4 mark on the track. Laughing

The poor running issue is noticeable, just sitting still.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Does the engine turn over freely by hand?

Have you tried squirting a little gas into each throat successively to see what happens? You might be able to rule out fuel issues, and go on to something else.

Can you measure dwell on your points?

Stabbing in the dark, here...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Does the engine turn over freely by hand?

Have you tried squirting a little gas into each throat successively to see what happens? You might be able to rule out fuel issues, and go on to something else.

Can you measure dwell on your points?

Stabbing in the dark, here...

I'll give the fuel test a shot. It can't hurt.

Sadly the dwell meters I have don't work. Crying or Very sad

But I do appreciate your input from half way around the world. You have given me a few ideas on what to look for.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Do leak down, check each mixture screw for a change at idle. Don’t think your idle circuit is clogged though, would go away when you stomp on it. What’s timing set at? Have a picture?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tried everything to get the engine to run right. Reply with quote

Check your running voltage at the coil.

Low electrical power = low power.

Funky wiring, dying battery / Generator, etc... Have been the cause of this many times that I have seen.

I have also seen defective new spark plugs.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: