Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to start when hot
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm finally getting all the bugs worked out of Christine. 74 Super with a newly rebuilt 1600. Initially, to high fuel pressure. Resolved that down to 2.5-3lbs pressure. Carb running too lean. Resolved that with 130 and 60 jets. Today decided to run to the store about 10 miles away. This is the first time I drove it that far since rebuilding the motor. Shopped in the grocery store, came out and had to keep gas pedal floored and crank, crank, crank over and over until it finally fired up.

I had this problem with my last beetle. Sold that and got this one, same problem. Why is it doing this? I never figured it out on the last beetle either.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

The owner's manual says to *slowly* put the pedal to the floor and hold it there to start when hot. Push slowly to prevent the accelerator pump from dumping fuel and flooding the engine.

Personally, my bug fires up without touching the pedal at all when warmed up. Very occasionally, I'll need to do the pedal down thing when hot.

Thread with more detail:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675995&highlight=starting+hot
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

If only it would work according to the manual. 😕

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
The owner's manual says to *slowly* put the pedal to the floor and hold it there to start when hot. Push slowly to prevent the accelerator pump from dumping fuel and flooding the engine.

Personally, my bug fires up without touching the pedal at all when warmed up. Very occasionally, I'll need to do the pedal down thing when hot.

Thread with more detail:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675995&highlight=starting+hot
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

If you post a picture of engine compartment someone might spot your problem. Next time it's hot when you try to start it, 1st start cranking then push down on the gas and see if it doesn't start. I think it's the Ethanol in the gas that evaporates the gas in carb but the accelerator pump will still have some gas and start the car. I put a homemade Micarta gasket between two thin paper gaskets under the carb to slow down the heat transfer and I have no problem with hot starts.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

I will have to get a pic but u made a good point abt the gas. There is a place not far from here that sells non-ethanol gas since I’m out of gas. I will drive up there and fill it with non-ethanol and see how that works.

Starbucket wrote:
If you post a picture of engine compartment someone might spot your problem. Next time it's hot when you try to start it, 1st start cranking then push down on the gas and see if it doesn't start. I think it's the Ethanol in the gas that evaporates the gas in carb but the accelerator pump will still have some gas and start the car. I put a homemade Micarta gasket between two thin paper gaskets under the carb to slow down the heat transfer and I have no problem with hot starts.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

The first thing we used to check was points. Too small gap makes for hard start condition. Takes just a second Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

I have that on several of my cars. What I suspect is the issue is that the you are turned off long enough for the choke element to cool and it closes, but the engine is still warm enough that it doesn't want choked.

Usually holding to the floor works well and something I always forget to try is to not touch the pedal at all and see what happens. Anybody try that?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have that on several of my cars. What I suspect is the issue is that the you are turned off long enough for the choke element to cool and it closes, but the engine is still warm enough that it doesn't want choked.

Usually holding to the floor works well and something I always forget to try is to not touch the pedal at all and see what happens. Anybody try that?

X2 n this statement!

Also, after arriving and pulling into the parking spot, allow the car to idle for a few minutes. Let’s everything equalize, in temperature and expansion rates. I have found it helps with a semi-warm restart.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Float level might be out of adj. causing fuel to drip into the engine and flooding it, if flooded pushing the pedal to the floor would be the way to start it, if you have to do this, to much fuel, adj. the float level. would be my guess. Wink

Last edited by lboos on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

I have before and frequently do. Works 90% of the time. See my post above.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

With a stock type carburetor with a choke, I like to press the pedal down once and then leave it alone.

Pedal; nor peddle or petal, as I've seen both incorrect spellings, makes it "a little" more difficult when searching !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Pedal; nor peddle or petal, as I've seen both incorrect spellings, makes it "a little" more difficult when searching ![/i][/quote]

Pedal; nor peddle or petal...???
I am the worst. Wink
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Following this thread, I just drove my car somewhere for lunch and got back in it about 45 minutes later. Thinking of this thread I just tried turning the key without touching the pedal and it instantly fired up! I know that hot/warm starts are dependent on how long a time period has elapsed since shut down, and which method you use to start it, so I'm going to try and keep track of this issue.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Unless it’s dead cold, I always start cranking without giving it any gas, and if it doesn’t start I slowly increase pedal until it does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Another thing you can easily check...
After driving for a while, when you pull in to a parking spot and turn the engine off... quickly run around to the engine and remove the air cleaner. Look down the carb opening and see if there is any fuel flowing from anywhere down into the carb throat. The carb inlet valve should block the flow of any fuel from the pump once the engine is OFF. Flowing fuel could indicate excessive fuel pressure or an incorrectly adjusted float/inlet valve that is allowing the fuel level in the bowl to get too high and fuel overflowing down the carb.
If it is flowing, remove the top of the carb and check the fuel level. Stock Solex carbs should maintain a fuel level 3/4" from the top edge of the bowl. If the level gets higher than this it can flood the engine.

The choke butterfly should be fully open since the engine is warm. If it isn't, you have an adjustment problem.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

The choke butterfly should be fully open since the engine is warm. If it isn't, you have an adjustment problem.

Are you sure?
Mine isn't after I let it sit for 30 - 45 minutes after a drive whereby the engine is completely warmed up (choke fully opened).
After that 30 - 45 minutes the engine is still rather warm but the choke is pretty much closed, which didn't surprise me because the choke heater element hasn't got 6 (or 12) volt during that time.
But maybe there's something wrong with my choke adjustment.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

I used to have same issue with a stock set up. When I finally switched over to dual carbs never had that issue. I also got rid of mech fuel pump and went electric.No issues at all with this set up,three car all the same works great all the time.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:
I used to have same issue with a stock set up. When I finally switched over to dual carbs never had that issue. I also got rid of mech fuel pump and went electric.No issues at all with this set up,three car all the same works great all the time.

Shit I sold my VW and bought a Toyota, no more problems. Very Happy
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Scott65Beetle wrote:

Shit I sold my VW and bought a Toyota, no more problems. Very Happy

Remove the FI from the Toyota and put a China Carb on it and you won't be car sick. Very Happy
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start when hot Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
ashman40 wrote:

Are you sure?
Mine isn't after I let it sit for 30 - 45 minutes after a drive whereby the engine is completely warmed up (choke fully opened)...

In the scenario above where the car has just pulled into a parking spot after a long drive the engine and choke coil should be fully warmed up and the choke should be open.

You are correct in your assessment that engine temp and choke coil temp are two separate things. The choke temp is only controlled by the heat generated by the ignition circuit warming up the coil element. It doesn’t even know if the engine is running, or not. I would expect that if you left your car to sit for 45min with the ignition OFF the choke coil will have cooled a bit and may have even closed down some by the time you get back to start driving.

The opposite is also true. You could leave the ignition switch ON for 5min in the driveway listening to the radio before you start the engine. This would heat up the choke coil without ever starting the engine. When you eventually start it up the choke will be nearly fully warmed up while the engine is still cold.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: