Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Just thought I would show you some pictures of packing up my Sears trailer to tagalong behind the Vanagon once it hits the road. Of course what actually ends up in the trailer will depend on where I am going, the time of year and the weather.
The first picture is simply of the back of the trailer. Notice the VW mudflaps and the Slow moving vehicle magnet!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second picture is of some of the stuff as it is packed right now:
1 - Mat/rug for under the awning
2 - VW roadside assistant bag - not a bunch of stuff but useful in a pinch
3 - 100W, 4 panel portable solar array. This won't go every trip just those where I will be boon docking.
4 - Propane hot water maker for sink or shower!
5 - leveling blocks
6 - Spare parts, filters and the like for the AHU TDI. I will also be packing a pretty comprehensive tool kit.
7- Coleman cook stove for outdoor cooking
8 - folding table for under the awning
9 - Air conditioner - obviously this will only make trips where I have electricity and it is hot. Here in Texas that means any time from March to December! Rolling Eyes

There will also be a folding chair, air mattress for the bed, a 12v air pump, and a floor jack/jack stand kit for the just-in-cases. I have more things that I can think of. Any other suggestions? Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Well the Vanagon finally hit the road tonight. I drove it about 2 miles or so just as a shake down. I have an appointment tomorrow to get an alignment. I immediately noticed 2 things: my speedometer isn't working (I was sure I tested that thing) and I don't think I am getting a full pull on the accelerator potentiometer. I think I also need to check my boost connections for tightness as I think it is loosing boost somewhere as I could only get 8 pounds of boost. Of course there are a few squeaks, rattles and various other noises but it is 39 years old after all. Anyway it is a start, I have 30 days on the temporary license plate to get everything ironed out before I need to get a real license plate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting it on the road!! And thanks for documenting the build. Cool
that little trailer is really cool
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Took vanagon and got it aligned today. As I left, I kind of got on it and it pushed about 16psi boost and then immediately went into limp mode (P01550 overcharge code). I guess I need to get with David Marshall to see exactly what my tuning was set up for in terms of boost. I first suspected the N75 valve but it is brand new. I may still swap in a used one I have in my spares box. BTW, I immediately cleared the code using my handy scan gauge and went on home keeping the boost in the 8-10 psi range. No problems. I will try to address the speedometer problem tomorrow. I removed the OX counter box and bought a long single speedo cable to replace it. Maybe it is the cable that is the problem? I have also purchased a rear view camera that I am going to mount on a bracket on the spare tire holder. I will wire it so that it is on all the time so I can drive with the rear curtains closed to keep the heat out. I still have some work to do on the under dash AC but it isn't my highest priority.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

When I first got our BHW Passat it was getting an overboost code and limp mode. It turns out the PO had the N75 plumbing backwards.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

That was the first thing I checked. I am almost positive that it is plumber correctly but I will check again. I had a turbo specially built AFTER I got the ECU programmed so that may be the problem. It was programmed for stock boost.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Just a couple of pictures of my NAPA awning deployed. It is a bit difficult to put up by yourself, especially in a stiff breeze but it is doable. I am going to get an adjustable tent pole to extend from the van to the outer rail to stiffen up the center and raise it a bit.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Took the van on the highway today and discovered that I have one of those luggage racks that has a "wind noise problem" and need to get the gasket with the extra seal. Who knew. BTW it isn't a "noise" problem it is a full fledged roaring, rumbling vibration!!!! The road test went pretty good. A total of 10 miles. Oil pressure is good, EGTs ok, water and oil temps well within range. I am still getting some weird codes. Sometimes while the car is actually driving and sometimes as "pending" codes. The pending codes don't seem to effect the car but when they happen when driving it is really noticeable. I need to contact David Marshall about my tuning because I made one major change after he tuned my chips...I added a built turbo that puts out more peak boost than the stock one. I may need to have him reprogram me a set of chips. Will see. Now to keep tracking down the rattles and rumbles and silence as many as possible and then get the thing inspected and licensed. I am also installing a rear view camera that will be on all the time since I want to keep the rear curtains closed all the time.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Drove the van again today to check out my new speedometer. Anyway after a brisk run down the highway, I circled back underneath and began to accelerate up the entrance ramp when boom just as I hit a bit over 13psi boost, a hose blew off. Slowly drove my now normally aspirated diesel home and discovered that it was the very last hose in the boost system from the IAC pipe to the intake. It blew off on the intake side then dropped down on the turbo where it melted and glued itself in place as it cooled. Couldn't find the correct size silicone hose to replace the old piece of rubber hose that was melted so I just bought a length of heavy duty radiator hose and refitted everything. I am going to order some silicone hose but for now everything works great!!! Just got to set a side some time to go camping at a local State Park during the week. Hayden.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Although I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy. Besides fine tuning the engine swap, I have done a few other things: added Jack Bombay's pop top shocks, installed a rear view camera (actually an always on rear view driving camera), and installed some EXTERIOR window screening. This stuff is what you see on the outside of buses and commercial vehicles. You can actually see through it but not easily. The first pics are of the camera set up and the last ones are of the window screen material. The very last 2 pictures show what the material looks like from up close on the outside and from the inside. Strangely, I took the picture through the screen of the sliding window but I think to get the picture.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Been working a bit here and there on the swap. I am going to have to revisit my entire intercooler set up as it seems that somewhere, I have a leak at high boost that throws a P1550 code and shuts down the power. Clearing the code allows the engine to get back to work but it is a pain so I am going to make sure my silicone hoses match the sizes of my hard pipes. I was going to test fit my ARB awning screen room on my NAPA awning today but wind was just too gusty for a one person put up and take down. Will try again tomorrow. I did go ahead and install my Bus Depot sliding door screen. Of course it came with no instructions but a few of you answered my call for information and I was able to install it with minimal problems. I think I am going to add some loops and floor snaps to keep it from billowing in the wind. Anyway, pictures tell the whole story.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Got the chance to attach the ARB awning room to my NAPA awning today. It fit just fine and will make a great place to sit away from the bugs. I am going to move my awning a bit forward on its mounts from where it is now to get the sliding door opening completely within the opening of the room. I also added a stiffening pole to the center of the awning. Pics show it all. Just wanting on silicone hose to fix my boost problems....I hope.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Well, after remeasuring the diameter of the various parts of my intercooler to intake manifold set up, I ordered two new sizes of hose, some clamps and then disassembled everything from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Replaced with previously mentioned new hoses and clamps and crossed my fingers. I also decided to replace the used radiator that I had originally installed with a new Mahle version. Refilled and bled the system and the radiator actually gets hot on all sides, top and bottom (I think some of the passages were blocked in the other one). Lastly, I replaced the Vanagon turn signal switch with one from a Mk 2 Jetta that had cruise control and wired that into my harness. After some strange codes, I figured out that two wires were actually switched in the harness from the ECU so I just flipped them and now VAGCOM says everything works. Took it for a drive and now everything works as it should: no hoses blowing off, no loss of boost, no safe mode drives home AND as a plus, the cruise control works!! Now just one more thing to sort out. My oil temperature gauge has always worried me. It always shows temps that are unrealistic and out of possibility for the other temperatures being measured. Finally figured out that the gauge and sender are mismatched. So, since the oil temp gauge was used, I bought a new one with the correct sender. I will install tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the last of my problems. I intend to get the propane tanks (yes I have one on each side) filled so that I can do a short trip to a nearby state park to test everything out. Seems this project is coming to an end and I can now enjoy the fruits of my labor.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Well, I finally got to take the first campout in my Westy TDI conversion. I learned a lot from the experience and have already made some changes since I got home today. Anyway just went north from Grapevine, TX to Lake Ray Roberts, Johnson Branch campground near Sanger, Texas. Engine performed like a champ and cruise control (yes I have that) keep the car going at a steady 62 mph on the way up. Got to the campground around 1:30 and set up everything only to discover that I hadn't brought a phone charger and my phone was already mostly dead. I have a continuous glucose monitor that reports to my phone so this is important. I decided to try and see if the phone would last but since service is very spotty, it was constantly looking for a connection and rapidly draining the battery away. So, I packed the screen room back up, rolled up the awning, closed down the top and disconnected everything and drove to the nearest truck stop back at the highway to buy a very overpriced iPhone cable. Anyway, back at the campsite, I decided not to reset up the screen room, and just went with the awning, no mosquitos anyway. That is when I found a problem with my inside stove. The burners would barely light and you could only light one or the other would go out. Luckily, my Westy has been provisioned with a second propane tank that I can connect with my Coleman stove. Dinner eaten, I decided that a fire was in order and spent the evening enjoying the flames. I contemplated, the stove problem but I didn't finally figure it out until I got home. More on that later. The next day was spent just wasting time and walking around. One more fire that night and then back home this morning. The drive home is where things got really hairy. The wind was blowing about 45 miles an hour out of the south and gusting higher than that. I was driving a huge brick with a trailer down the highway. I encountered my boost problem again. Once required that I pull over and clear the codes before I could continue driving. However, as I continued the trip south (only about 40 miles) I noticed that I could feel the boost begin to falter around 14.8 psi and it I immediately backed off just a bit, I could maintain a slightly lower boost without loosing speed. I believe that this is a problem with the boost control on the turbo. The waste gate is opening at 14.8 part way and is fully open at 15 psi. That drops the boost in the system, the computer reads that as a fault and throws a code shutting things down. I must contemplate the possible fixes. As for my inoperable stove. I at first thought that the tank had a leak and was essentially empty. But bleeding the tank rapidly. Showed that the tank was still about ½ full (check the condensation line!). So I began to suspect the pressure regulator, sure enough, after a few cycles of turning the gas supply off and on, it let loose, spewing propane everywhere. Luckily I had another one and installed it. Problem solved. I still have a slow leak out of the fill valve but I will wait to replace that once the tank gets empty. Over all a good trip. Taught me some thing to pack in the thing now, so I won"t forget them next trip: trash bags, zip lock bags, etc, etc.

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Cool glad to see you are getting to use the van. John
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

The pop top, trailer, and arb awning room!? That's camping luxury, glamping, really. Glad to see you're ironing out your engine bugs.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Hey lets be honest. There just isn't much interior space in a Westy for storage, or moving around. The trailer carries spare parts, solar panel setup, hot water maker, patio rug, table, leveling blocks, jack, ARB room, camp stove, chair, tools, AC when needed and there is room for a tiny microwave it I feel so inclined.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

Wanted to post a bit of an update. I haven't had a huge amount of time to do things to the Vanagon because of weather and "honey dos". However, I finally attacked the engine compartment wiring to remove several feet of unnecessary wire, added some wire covering for protection. I also added a stand along ground wire from the started to the frame and increased the size of the connection between the alternator and the starter/battery post. I also have just gotten a FAS coolant bottle bracket that I intend to install. I installed the larger oil cooler that has been suggested in other posts but I also have a Volvo oil cooler set up just in case. Obviously, winter isn't a great time to test out oil cooler efficiency. Now for the big thing. I have decided that before I try to put a lot of miles on this van, that I would go ahead and switch over to a dual mass flywheel/clutch setup. I have the diesel bell housing and the TDI mainshaft for T3 coming from Brickworks. So My question is... what adaptations will I need to do to get the DMF installed into the diesel bell housing. I have heard that clearancing of the bell housing and/or the flywheel may be necessary. Also will the stock TDI plate between the flywheel and the engine work with the diesel trans. Currently with an adaptor plate, I cannot use this and it bothers me a bit. Finally any favorite manufactures for the dual mass that people have: Luk, Sachs...? TIA
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

I've fitted a couple of the DMF's and this is the area of the bell housing that I needed to clearance for each of them.

Your casting may differ, though, so you'll need to fit it and see.

The diesel vanagon intermediate plate will not fit without modification. There is a TDI Vanagon intermediate plate available.

https://www.mybusparts.de/abdeckblech-zum-schwungrad-passend-fuer-vw-t3.html

There is also a two-piece version of the same plate that allows removal of the oil pan without removal of the trans and plate:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/engine-conve...lutch.html

I have used the Luk 17-050 set and it has worked well. It is available a variety of places for ~$250.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no! Another Vanagon TDI swap Reply with quote

As Waldo suggested, I had to clearance my Diesel Bell Housing in other spots due to casting differences.

I used the TDI engine spacer/plate from the OE setup that was on the donor car. Of course, the flywheel is visible/exposed at the bottom. I've driven it like that for well over 85k miles without issue. However, I do like the two options that Waldo linked.

I got a LUK DMF from Amazon back when they were $188.00 shipped. In fact, considering the number of TDIs in my family and circle of friends I purchased several at that price. Schaeffler LuK RepSet 17-050 Clutch Kit, OEM Clutch Replacement Kit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: