Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas auxiliary heater removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

I want to remove the auxiliary gas heater and all the venting etc. from the bottom of my 1984 Vanagon. Has anyone done this and run into any consequences because of it? I've already rerouted the cooling lines and removed the gas line connection and now I just want to get rid of the entire heater from underneath.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

I recently did this with a diesel heater on an '82 diesel van. It's pretty straight forward, but I did have the fuel tank removed at the time. You'll want to find a way to cap off the inlet at the Y-valve for the rear facing vent (I'm not sure if '84 models had this), or just remove all the duct work leading to the front heater plenum. You'll also want to seal off the intake hole under the rear seat. It's a dirty unpleasant job.

The gas heaters might be considered to be desirable, so I'd try and keep all the wiring intact should you want to sell it in the future. Fun fact: I weighed the whole setup with belly pan, and it came to exactly 50 lbs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Murray25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I have the gas tank out as well and that is why I thought it would be good timing. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't connected to any other system and regret pulling it out.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

How long have you owned your van?
Is the heater functional?
I don't use my van in the winter, I do have one of these heaters installed factory on my van and I love it. You come back from a hike in the fall, a cool damp day, hop in the van, flip on the heater while you make a hot drink on the stove.

Wake up in the morning to a cold day, turn on the heater.
I would not remove my heater.
In fact, when the large SA gas tanks were available, I was all set to buy one, till I found out the installation would interfere with the location of my gas heater, and I would need to remove the heater.
Murray25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

I've had the van for a couple of years now and I'm not sure how well the heater works. I would rather use a portable heater anyway.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

Murray25 wrote:
I've had the van for a couple of years now and I'm not sure how well the heater works. I would rather use a portable heater anyway.

You will change your mind when you try to use a portable (presumably propane) heater at altitude (>8,000ft it won't work). Plus you'll have awful condensation when it does work.

I've just installed a Chinese diesel heater - ($120 + ~$65US for the Afterburner controller) - and it beats all the portable heaters we've used in the past hands down.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
How long have you owned your van?
Is the heater functional?
I don't use my van in the winter, I do have one of these heaters installed factory on my van and I love it. You come back from a hike in the fall, a cool damp day, hop in the van, flip on the heater while you make a hot drink on the stove.

Wake up in the morning to a cold day, turn on the heater.
I would not remove my heater.
In fact, when the large SA gas tanks were available, I was all set to buy one, till I found out the installation would interfere with the location of my gas heater, and I would need to remove the heater.

I had that gas heater in a 1985 Canada van.
Wellington all you say is true, BUT.....
The fan is very loud.
Its like the windshield defrost set on high.
It's a forceful (& fast) space heater that uses a lot of battery.

A modern Propex or diesel heater is more like an in-home heater.
You don't turn it on when you return from a hike;;;;
you turn it on before you depart, and return to a peaceful & quiet warm van, where you can relax in warmth and quiet.

Back in the day when no vans had aux heaters, the VW gas heater was a really cool (warm!) feature.
But the current heater options are so much better in so many ways.

If that heater ever breaks down - is a good time to replace with a modern diesel heater for $200, or Propex (lots more$).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

I'm planning to do this in the next couple of weeks. I have a 1984.5 1.9L Canadian edition with the factory BN6.

Can anyone point me to a resource or provide step-by-step instruction or pictures from start to finish?

Thanks!
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: gas auxiliary heater removal Reply with quote

Does the gas tank need to be dropped to remove the ducting and front outlet(s)?

A few years ago, I replaced the tank and redid all the vent lines, so not interested in dropping it again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: