Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Just read your thread. Nice work. Your detail on the chassis i great. You did things i never thought about but wish i had.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Dancing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hated to burn the powdercoat but I welded the jack point back. I’d hoped to just seam seal over the finished repair and move on... 3M says their seam sealer goes over painted or primed metal only Confused
I’ll mix up a little epoxy to cover the welds and shoot a few other parts while I’ve got the gun out. My Weddle flange stiffeners got here a few months ago... I’ll spray them and my gear shift coupler too.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

I came across a good deal on an old Bear brake lathe combo with a bunch of tooling a few weeks ago and had to get it! Even though I already have a good refurbished Drum Doktor brake drum lathe, the combo I found has a similar Bear drum lathe on one side, and a Bear rotor disc lathe on the right, and came on a rolling cart table.

I will most likely sell the drum lathe I refurbished, clean up the new-to-me lathes, and find a good spot for them in the garage to use as-is for the time being.
Here's a video of the drum lathe running this afternoon. It's an original rear drum off my 1967 bug and in the video you can hear it intermittently cutting, which means the drum is out of round and needed to be turned. The adapters to mount rear drums on the lathe spindle are surprisingly expensive and hard to find - I saw a recently ended auction on ebay for a pair that went for $99!
If anyone needs drums turned or checked... I'm happy to do it.

Link

The three-year anniversary of bringing old girl home is in a few weeks. My goal is to have the body and pan back together by then to celebrate Smile
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

I ended up brushing epoxy primer on the welded area instead of spraying it, and followed up with a coat of 3M factory match seam sealer... the pan seams don’t look as good as the top because I didn’t tape them, but they’re done and the pan is ready to flip and start reassembling suspension.

While I had the epoxy mixed up I brushed it on the weddle flange stiffeners. They only had a short term corrosion film which I sandblasted off. I debated on top coating them, but guys I’ve really not been satisfied with this Summit Racing paint! It chips so easily. I don’t know if it’s just my prep, or technique, or maybe high expectations? I decided epoxy will be fine for this, swapped out the hardware, and bolted it all together with two oiled gaskets on both sides and 14 ft-lbs of torque on the Weddle 14mm wrench size nuts. End play for the axle tubes is 0.008” max, and I shot for a snug fit with no perceptible play. Three gaskets was loose as a goose, and two gave me a just a small bit of drag.

The daisies are original to this transaxle and just barely made it through the storage process as one of the dogs got into my stored parts this year and ate some stuff!
There is no gear oil in the transaxle yet. I used a light coat of the generic Corrosion-X on the moving surfaces of the daisies, axle tubes and transaxle cover, to act as a sticky lubricant and also to protect from rust.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

It’s amazing the amount of stuff one can forget after three years, even when it seemed so plainly obvious on disassembly. Laughing

Reassembly chipped up a lot of axle tube paint and I’ll have to touch up a lot when it’s fully back together. I thought I had my shock hardware; couldn’t find it, so I put the new ExcelG’s back up on the caddy.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Robert, what a nice build and thanks for all the photos and descriptions. It’s going to be a great car.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Bugged Again wrote:

Thanks! Hope you're enjoying the thread!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Today was my first time putting together a swingaxle wheel bearing assembly... I’m fairly certain I got it right, although it took a while to figure out even with the Bentley! I used a seal kit from rock auto to reinstall the original bearing, which appears to be in excellent condition. The washer in the kit didn’t look very high quality and I reused the old one, with a little polishing on a honing stone to clean up any burrs. Torqued the bearing cap sequentially to 43 ftlbs, and the drum seems to fit ok with the appropriate amount of threads showing!

Unfortunately.. the “new” wheel cylinders I got are showing some ugly checking/cracking on the outer boots. These are zero mile parts stored indoors in a climate controlled garage shelf.
Caveat emptor!

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Parking brake cable length Reply with quote

I have a question for the samba at large... I just finished putting in two new (Raybestos) parking brake cables and I have them nutted down at the lever just enough to fit both original nuts on the cable ends.

The problem is.. the lever will only pull up three clicks before I hit coil bind on the return springs at the drum end (brakes are not installed, this is only the cable). It is physically impossible to raise the handle any further. I’ve been looking for information on cable length and the best I can find is the Bentley says cable length was extended beginning with chassis number 117, which includes this bug.

Does anyone have a good part number for them?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

While I waited for the left side axle seals to get here, I started on the most controversial part of this entire project....

Sound deadener!!!!😵

Yes, my friends, I have done it. The floor pan now has almost a full layer of B-quiet Ultimate sound deadener! Laughing

I got 50 square feet which turned out to be a fairly hefty little box. “Ultimate” is the better product they sell and it’s a 65 mil layer. I have no experience with this type of material, unless you count all the internet research! Laughing

There is no practical way to eliminate the wrinkles in the aluminum top layer. I tried multiple ways including rolling and burnishing with minimal difference. Personally, I would go with this stuff over the thinner material after handling it and comparing to stock asphalt impreg boards. Side note... it’s a butyl based product and it will leave black smears and boogers if you have any of the butyl exposed. Not a huge deal for a base layer but I thought I’d share.
That roll on the floor pan in the last photo is what I have left at this point. It’s safe to say 50ft2 is more than one needs for a floor pan.. I wasnt sure how far the material would go.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Looks like your employees did a good job with the sound deadening. Those little fingers can get into all the tight corners so easily! Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

A good landing starts with the rear wheels hitting the ground first, I’m well on the way! Laughing
Tonight the chassis is on wheels again, a la Harbor Freight car dollies at least.

I ran the rest of the brake lines from the kuhltek stainless set without any issues and now the rear is fully plumbed in!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

AWESOME PROGRESS! And love that you got the girls involved. My 2 ladies also helped out on all of my past builds. They both were taught how to do valve adjustments and oil changes, too! Unfortunately, both have not been bitten by the Bug, but do value a good running car! Enjoy these moments! In a blink of your eyes, they get boyfriends and date them for several years. I am not at the next step, but I know that they leave my house soon. So, enjoy them while you have them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake cable length Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I have a question for the samba at large... I just finished putting in two new (Raybestos) parking brake cables and I have them nutted down at the lever just enough to fit both original nuts on the cable ends.

The problem is.. the lever will only pull up three clicks before I hit coil bind on the return springs at the drum end (brakes are not installed, this is only the cable). It is physically impossible to raise the handle any further. I’ve been looking for information on cable length and the best I can find is the Bentley says cable length was extended beginning with chassis number 117, which includes this bug.

Does anyone have a good part number for them?

Check this thread out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652015
Hog_Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New donor engine! Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
New donor engine!
One of my favorite parts of VW’ing is meeting people who have common interests. It’s a plus if they are local! I posted on the Midsouth VW’s club page asking about an engine and one of the responses came from a guy in the area with a crusty and almost complete 1600.

I'm also in Memphis with a 67 Sedan. Can you point me towards this Midsouth VWs?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New donor engine! Reply with quote

Hog_Slayer wrote:

I'm also in Memphis with a 67 Sedan. Can you point me towards this Midsouth VWs?

They have an obsolete website here http://www.ourvw.org/Club%20Home/Club-Home.htm that hasn't been updated in years.. the main group online presence is the facebook page, Midsouth VW club. I believe David Beaman is heading it up, I haven't kept up with anyone at all so I'm not sure Smile
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Today's the day!!

A few friends volunteered to come help move the body over to the chassis this evening.. The last piece I needed to put on was the body seal. I'm using the four piece kit from Wolfsburg West, which appears to be a very high quality material. After laying the seal out on the floor pan and marking the hole locations with a paint pen, I made a punch about 3/8" diameter out of some scrap material and punched all the holes out in the seal. Since I have been using 3M products throughout this entire process, I ordered a 5oz tube of black 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, instead of original style tacks. Between some heavy 1/4" thick angle iron and a handful of clamps, the seal glued on pretty well without issues. The underside of the heater channels look ok; I did notice there's at least one snapped off bolt and decided to deal with it later. For rust prevention, I sprayed CRC's version of Corrosion-X, "heavy duty corrosion inhibitor," on the underside of the channels that will be hidden and/or in contact with the body seal.
I think there are plugged locations for spraying rust prevention into the channels, but if not, I'll make some, and use a couple cans of 3M Cavity Wax+. At $30+ per can it's not cheap.. but much cheaper than replacing heater channels in a few years.

Then, it was time for the real action!! In honor of its three year anniversary in my ownership this Saturday, we set the body back on the pan, another milestone in getting this little car back on the road as a daily driver!

Link

Needless to say, all the kids were thrilled to help and play in the beetle! The steering wheel is not connected to anything and they stood there spinning it in circles pretending to drive each other around Laughing
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sunroof work Reply with quote

Guys I forgot how much the body needs!!! Prior to this project I have taken it upon myself to fully disassemble - to the last nut and bolt - my VW projects at the beginning. I’d hit “scope creep” so fast it would make you dizzy! I’m a nuts and bolts, turn a wrench kind of guy - not so much project management! Many projects would languish in no man’s land as I couldn’t figure out where to start.
Knowing my weakness there, I decided to approach this beetle differently, and only tackle components and systems on/associated with the chassis first.

I still have a few more parts left on the chassis but I think it’s safe to start the body side now, beginning with the sunroof.. it was inoperative and appeared partially disassembled. Today I removed the assembly to asses the damage and figure out what it needs. The sliding roof part came out first, then the rail assembly and cover panel come out together

Bentley advises that the sliders are “rust proof”... yeah, bc they’re not steel, but aluminum still corrodes! There is a lot of surface corrosion that will need to be glass beaded and treated with a chemical Alodine etch. Most of the brown stuff on them in this photo is a 1/8” thick foam strip, but the corrosion appears as black pits and speckles.

The mechanism itself is very simple, like most VW engineered stuff, and the original problem appears to be a lack of lubrication in the cable channels. I’m not sure how one would address that long term without at least partial disassembly of the sunroof for periodic lubes.

I also pulled the main wire harness out for repair. It suffered some kind of catastrophic heat damage to multiple wires including ignition, main battery feed, and tail lights.. I suspect that was what caused it to be parked. I’ve been hoarding VW wires for at least a decade now and I have most of what I need on hand to replace all the damaged wires instead of splicing them! Very Happy

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Seeing your young kids involved speaks so much to me. Teach them it is about the journey and not the destination and you will have life long helpers.

Good Job!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

Did I mention how much I dislike stripping paint and cleaning beams? Yeah, it’s not very high up on my list of fun things to do on any VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: