Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did I mention how much I dislike stripping paint and cleaning beams? Yeah, it’s not very high up on my list of fun things to do on any VW.

Agree 100%! Cleaning sucks!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!
nshaddox wrote:
Plus I tend to prefer these impossible projects that take way too much time. There’s no thrill in easy projects. Challenges are fun.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Front brake drums Reply with quote

Measuring front brake drums

I forgot to measure my front drums during disassembly... three years later with my new wheel bearings in hand, I told myself “hey just measure really quick before you seat those new bearing races.”
Yup, both front drums are way out of spec!!
The max diameter, often referred to as the “discard” spec, is 9.113”, and both front drums measured out at almost 9.150”, or about forty thou beyond the limit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is no practical safe way to use these drums. Although there is a safety margin engineered into it, using a stock brake shoe thickness here would result in overtravel of the wheel cylinder pistons. Even if I adjusted everything correctly and had good pedal, the wheel cylinder pistons would be too far out in the bore, which can end up in the piston getting stuck, or tipping sideways a bit and allowing brake fluid to bleed past.
Of course it would only show up during full brake application... when you would need brakes the most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: