Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan (stock)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Beautiful work, best colour = Java Laughing
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

I went out to the garage to store the primed parts in their bins and clean up... ended up here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I probably shouldn’t have dug in to it just yet but it has been sitting there on the floor bothering me for a while now. I wish I knew more about transmissions to know how much work it needs! The side plates were both leaking pretty good for years evidently. Lots of road dirt mixed in but there is a coat of black paint under everything so it’s all peeling up pretty well without intense scraping. There are a couple of options to fix the side plate leaks and I’m on the fence... new weddle side plates or just weddle stiffeners???
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.

Last edited by scrivyscriv on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Wow your pan is looking great!!

That is a really satisfying stage of the project.
To see that progress is super motivating

Keep up the great work!!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

dodgerodder wrote:
Wow your pan is looking great!!

That is a really satisfying stage of the project.
To see that progress is super motivating

Keep up the great work!!

Dan

Thanks Dan! I’ve read all the way through your 66 project here and it’s seeing guys like you that encourage me to put in top shelf work- even though “it’s just a bug!” I hope to see more updates on your topic.

I’ve been putting off long enough - I am too much of a perfectionist and have a hard time standing back and saying “I’m 100% satisfied with this” on most work. Tonight I went ahead and welded up the giant hole in my tunnel. I was debating on upgrading the shifter bushing and making a fancy access panel but was getting nowhere fast!! So I cut and bent up some 16ga and spot welded a flange all the way around the giant hole, after cutting out and cleaning up the edges.

The gap was just too big everywhere, there was no way I was bridging a 1/4” gap in mid air! The flange made a good backer and will offer some small amount of reinforcement to this repaired area. The tunnel is approx 11ga steel and my Eastwood 135 welder plowed right through the job!

I didn’t spend as much time on cleanup as I usually do.
Next I did a final fit check of my passenger side Wolfsburg West floor pan. Holes were already punched earlier this past week, so I clecoed it in one last time to make sure my tunnel repair hadn’t changed any gaps. All looks good! I’m using 3M panel adhesive in one area, with a spot welder, at the rear crossmember. This adhesive has anti-corrosion properties which is really all I care about here, so I followed the tech sheet and painted both parts and laid a squeeze out bead:

Everything looks good so I dropped the pan in place and clecoed it down again. The squeeze out looked good and indicates sufficient quantity.

Now it’s time to weld! The tech sheet explicitly states not to use a MIG welder with this adhesive due to it being very flammable. It is meant to be SPOT WELDED with a squeeze type resistance spot welder. Out came by modified harbor freight special! The 21” tongs from eBay worked great and I had absolutely no issues whatsoever here.

Tech sheet says it takes overnight or so to set up- but the squeezeout was all but fully cured from the spot welder heat. I was unable to smooth it out which is a bummer. It’s messy!

Lastly, I mig welded the rest of the pan to the tunnel flange. This was actually just about maxing my welder out and I had to adjust for a bit more wire and power than the chart called for, but they came out great! To avoid unwanted metal movement, I welded every other hole, and tapped the edge down flat with my body hammer after every weld or two. That helped a lot to flatten back out where the pan was tending to lift up! The clecos stayed in until I started round two of the hole filling.

I was really wanting to use adhesive and spot welding all the way around but the metal thickness was just too much for my hobbyist spot welder except in the back. Overall I’m satisfied with the job! I doubt I’ll clean up the welds, as much as I dislike them I can’t see the work being satisfying or rewarding in any way due to how much time it will take.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Pans done! Reply with quote

the pan welding is officially done!

The 3M panel adhesive only came with two tips - one of which I used yesterday - so unless I wanted to reorder a bag of tips and wait, I knew I needed to wrap up all of my welding that would take this adhesive. Today I spent a few more hours in the garage and most of the time it was hammering and checking, hammering and checking. The rear of the pans took the most adjustment to get right! There was a high spot on the crossmember in the middle, and it caused the pan to rock inboard/outboard just a bit, instead of sitting flat. After some trial and error hammering and railroad rail dollying, I finally got everything to settle in.
One coat of panel adhesive on each flange, then a sqeezeout bead, then set the pan down and cleco all around.

You can see in the bottom corner I've got the jack point clamped up with panel adhesive too.. those seams are great rust catchers and I hope this adhesive will help keep water out.

This is the Eastwood mig 135 welder I use.. the horrible freight cart is new and works great in my junky workspace. The helmet is terrible I really need to replace it!

I went around every other hole just like the right side but this time my settings were off a little. I had my wire feed set too high and the voltage a little low so my first set of welds are all too high. They penetrated the base tunnel flange just fine but I prefer a flatter weld so I pulled the wire speed back quite a lot and bumped power almost to max.

Made a second round, then pulled all the clecos out and welded one final pass around.

I know that many of you following along don't really benefit from all these setup photos showing the different stages of welding, but I learned a wealth of information from a few threads here and there when guys took the time to show how the magic happened! So I am trying to give back just a little of what this site has done for me. I am not an experienced welder or car guy, just a normal dude learning as I go.
The left side welds will need to be cleaned up since the brake line runs over them. I think the seam sealer will help but I don't want to count on it.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

On the contrary, the setup photos are perfect. You are making really great progress. I like to see a skilled aircraft sheet metal mechanic (I’m guessing) at work. I know you’ve mentioned it before, Gulfstream, right? Your pan work is phenomenal.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
On the contrary, the setup photos are perfect. You are making really great progress. I like to see a skilled aircraft sheet metal mechanic (I’m guessing) at work. I know you’ve mentioned it before, Gulfstream, right? Your pan work is phenomenal.

Thanks for the kind words! I’ve read though your Morocco and Diamond threads and really enjoyed them. It’s good to see guys like you spend time making a high quality restoration! I’m just a mechanic, not even close to a sheet metal guy.. I work for Big Purple here in Memphis and when we need sheet metal guys we just give their shop a call. Very Happy they’d throw me out of the shop if they saw half of what I pass of as “sheet metal”

Arrow I ordered a few misc parts from RA - seals and stuff, a Febi reboxed VW steering coupler, etc. I took a gamble on the Kuhltek stainless steel complete brake line set, based on the couple of reviews of their different kits on Amazon. I did notice their nuts are chromed steel, not stainless, which I assume is due to stainless’ low tensile strength. At work we apply a multitude of corrosion prevention products based on the system and area we’re working on, and I got to thinking about the corrosion commonly found on brake parts. I’m going to try using an RTV or similar adhesive sealant on the exposed threads of all the brake lines once they’re installed and leak checked. Hopefully the next guy - maybe a son or daughter? - will have an easy time replacing parts down the road as they age. You haven’t really lived until you snap a brake line off at the threads from rust!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

I’ve been looking for photos of where the battery hold down bracket is welded to the floor pan, and not finding much! Can anyone post a photo showing where it goes relative to the pan stampings?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Here’s my bracket welded to my WW pans. It’s a 68 but I believe they are pretty much the same.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Here’s my bracket welded to my WW pans. It’s a 68 but I believe they are pretty much the same.

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

i like the drawings on the pans . lol im guessing that was your helpers ? lol great work and keep up the progress
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

X2 ^^^ now you have to clear coat your pans to save those. Oh and no carpet or sound deadener. 😁
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos viiking, that helps a lot. And yes my helpers have been using all of my different colored sharpies to decorate! They will be sad when it goes to the sandblaster in a couple weeks!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Hey Robert! Great seeing progress. I have not played around, much, on a 67. However if the battery clamp is in the same position as a 54, you can check out my build thread. Page 32, about 1/2 way down. Everything is measured.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722610

Good luck and keep on going!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Hey Robert! Great seeing progress. I have not played around, much, on a 67. However if the battery clamp is in the same position as a 54, you can check out my build thread. Page 32, about 1/2 way down. Everything is measured.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722610

Good luck and keep on going!

Thanks for the advice! I've only made it part way in to your build thread, I don't normally frequent the early bug forum! I have to remind myself to get out of the 'usual suspects' forums I always browse!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

I read a quote that went something like this:
"80% of what you accomplish is done with 20% of your time."
Sounds about right for tonight! The beam is the last big chunk that needs attention. It's broken down to just needing to get the trailing arms and sway bar off. Lots of chunky grease!
I have the balljoints stashed in my roll around parts caddy, so here goes..

I know some guys have a hard time breaking the grub screws loose but my beam was apparently well greased during its life - yet another reason to believe it's been adult-owned and driven the majority of its life! - so I had no issues getting things loose. Allen key screws tend to give me the most headaches on removal so I opted to chuck an 8mm allen bit in my 1/4" impact driver and put some pressure on those grub screws. They all surprisingly came off in about 20 seconds of trigger time.

To the sandblast cabinet! Trailing arms seat against a plain-type bearing on one end, and a needle bearing on the other; the bearing area is very evident on the arms. You don't want to blast that area, since it is machined to fit the bearing, or vice versa. Sandblasting will actually raise the metal surface a very tiny amount, similar to knurling, so stay away from those two shinier areas with the sandblaster.

Ta daaa.. they're out! I have access to a 20 ton H-frame press. It took a bit of setup to figure out how to pop the joints out without breaking anything else. Then after the joints were out, I had to go back to the press for one of the camber adjusters, and ended up grinding a notch in two 1/2" steel plates to seat against the ball joint stud and hold the camber adjuster and press it off the balljoint stud.

Overall a quick job but the right tools made a big difference! A press, parts washer, and sandblast cabinet will really take repairs or upgrades to another level. I still need to do the lower arms, and I'll try to get some photos of my setup when I do them.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Fantastic work on those pans.

By chance do you have the size of the wooden body dolly you made? I need to get the same thing going for my 66'

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Fantastic work on those pans.

By chance do you have the size of the wooden body dolly you made? I need to get the same thing going for my 66'

I’m not thrilled with how my body dolly turned out but it has worked ok for now. If I were going to do any body work I’d make a new dolly from square tube.. I made it 4’ by 63-1/2”, and its 29” high from top to the floor, including casters. It was supposed to be able to accommodate the pan underneath, but I had to cross brace it at the bottom for rigidity, which means the pan doesn’t fit there any more. It is challenging to design a stiff support structure out of wood like that, and I don’t think I’d make it out of wood again.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: New donor engine! Reply with quote

New donor engine!
One of my favorite parts of VW’ing is meeting people who have common interests. It’s a plus if they are local! I posted on the Midsouth VW’s club page asking about an engine and one of the responses came from a guy in the area with a crusty and almost complete 1600.

This is an AH case, with EGR and a federal emissions sticker for ‘74. The condition is unknown but end play feels tight and the engine spins over with a wrench. Lots of water damage but also lots of carbon and oil, so I rolled the dice that the oil prevented a majority of corrosion.

If it cleans up and checks out, I’ll swap parts over and get it ready for an interim propulsion solution.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrivyscriv's 1967 java green sunroof sedan Reply with quote

As previous comments said, I also dig the play-by-play process photos of your pan replacement, it's very helpful for others who come along looking to learn.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: