Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newly acquired 1960 beetle.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

I just picked up this 1960 bug. Story is that its from the socal , orange county area during the 60s and 70s. It was repainted im guessing in the early 70s on the outside after some front ent damage as the front apron was replaced. The car was last registered in 1976 and was pulled from a garage a few months ago in Upland. Anyone know what the sticker means ? There are oil change stickers on the door frame from a shop in westminster on dillow street.

Not sure my plans as of now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Nice!!!!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

x2! Please don't slam it.
I would polish it, repair both rear fender and try to match the paint for them and the left rear light housing, but 1K resin enamel only. If it is still too shiny, I would flatten it by using light abrasive things. Use the same grey as VW did for primer, then white for filler and the red (perhaps from temple studio). Then I would search for a good used original carpet set and repair the coco upholstery. Of ycourse all the technical things to be checked and corrected if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

be quick, here you get the original backrest material for the driver side:
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/original-vw...2-223-1560
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Wash it really good and wax it polish it....leave the dent, its a conversation peice. I would not clear coat it as it will polish up fine. It is you car however do what you want...they are only orginal once!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Very, very nice!! Looks like a solid base regardless of what direction you want to go. Since it hasn't been run regularly for 48 years, you'll have plenty to check out on the engine and with the electrical system (still 6v?). Brakes will no doubt need a complete overhaul ... great time to switch to a dual circuit master cylinder and front disc brakes. Rubbing compound could work wonders on that paint ... a great patina candidate for sure. Have you thought about what you want to do about the bumpers? The rear looks pretty far gone ... can't see much of the front. Looking forward to hearing your plans. Smile

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

The brakes were just gone through. Still 6v. I will not clear coat it. Probably wont lower it either. If you seach my bug i did a few years ago i already did a full air ride. I want this one to stay as original as possible.
Im Leaning towards a green interior for some reason. The seats smell kinda like cat pee so they gotta get re done. Lol. There is no carpet or headliner. I will get the original wool style headliner installed. New bumpers , but the euro ones i think. Already started polishing it. I forget to mention i bought it and drove if home 80 miles trouble free.

markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:

Came up well.

What products did you use and how did you apply them?

I like your Euro bumper plan.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:
I forget to mention i bought it and drove if home 80 miles trouble free.

That is terrific! Getting bogged down with electrical/brakes/engine rehab on a newly acquired VW can be (usually is) a real buzz kill. Cosmetic projects are often pretty rewarding since you get to see/display the evolving results of your work. The paint is looking great! Hope you're planning to continue posting your progress with this project.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Great find OP! (Do you own a DKW?)
I like your plans for the car. I have no clue about the sticker. I did a Tin Eye search and came up with nothing.

As we all do, I thought about what I would do with the car if I had been lucky enough to find it.

Polish and wax
Paint the wheels
Seat belts
Dual master cylinder
LED lighting
New interior
Euro bumpers
Drive it like I stole it

I like the vintage car driving experience. I've had enough hot rods. My first car was a '60 VW and I was too poor to modify it. That was 1966 and a 36 hp VW was already looking ancient. Looking back, I enjoyed that one more than subsequent cars with more power. I beat the crap out of it and used the gas pedal like an on/off switch. Great car you have. Enjoy!!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

This is quality! I love this car and how it looks! The whole car is a conversational piece, looking forward to tagging along and seeing what you do with it! Lovely!
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
I like your plans for the car. I have no clue about the sticker. I did a Tin Eye search and came up with nothing.

As we all do, I thought about what I would do with the car if I had been lucky enough to find it.

Polish and wax
Paint the wheels
Seat belts
Dual master cylinder
LED lighting
New interior
Euro bumpers
Drive it like I stole it

I like the vintage car driving experience. I've had enough hot rods. My first car was a '60 VW and I was too poor to modify it. That was 1966 and a 36 hp VW was already looking ancient. Looking back, I enjoyed that one more than subsequent cars with more power. I beat the crap out of it and used the gas pedal like an on/off switch. Great car you have. Enjoy!!

Im going to keep it 6v i think. Its a weekend driver. The old seats are growing on me, i may just keep them.

Installed 4 new shocks and 2 new axle boots tonight. The shocks said wstern getmany and the old boots were non existent. I will change the trans fluid tomorrow and drive it.

Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
Dkwautounion wrote:

Came up well.

What products did you use and how did you apply them?

I like your Euro bumper plan.

Meguires . Buff then polish really fast. Nothing to crazy.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:

Super-cool find! Wow! The door cards and 1/4 panel cards appear to be in great original shape, as do the seat covers themselves. Just need some cleaning attention. I'd change out the rotted, stinky padding under there and try to preserve the covers if possible.

Incredible that you DROVE it home 80 miles from where it sat, without any trouble! No leaky fuel lines, or wheel cylinders, etc??? Shocked

I saw your username and wondered the same thing as wdfifteen. I happen to own a '57 DKW 3=6 myself, just had her out for some 'exercise' yesterday.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

Super-cool find! Wow! The door cards and 1/4 panel cards appear to be in great original shape, as do the seat covers themselves. Just need some cleaning attention. I'd change out the rotted, stinky padding under there and try to preserve the covers if possible.

whatever you do don't replace the interior with green! Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

finster wrote:
67conv wrote:

whatever you do don't replace the interior with green! Shocked

Agree 1000%
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

I'm lovin' this car.
Good luck to you DKW!
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
wdfifteen wrote:

Incredible that you DROVE it home 80 miles from where it sat, without any trouble! No leaky fuel lines, or wheel cylinders, etc??? Shocked

I saw your username and wondered the same thing as wdfifteen. I happen to own a '57 DKW 3=6 myself, just had her out for some 'exercise' yesterday.

I do not own a dkw. Just a fan.

So I got a question , the original engine would have had a red oil dipstick, the engine in it now is a 40hp from 1964. I believe i still have the 1960 trans with one year mount . Shouls I get a red dipstick?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

I would drain and fill - 2.5 liters or 5.3 pints - and leave it over night. Make a scribe where it sits on the dipstick, and know from now on, that's your fill mark
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly acquired 1960 beetle. Reply with quote

Very cool! My Dad had a ‘60 Bug in that color!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: