Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

I've owned my '77 Westy now for 7 years. Never had a single issue mechanically, it's been very reliable. I don't drive it everyday, but when I do drive it, it cranks right up and purrs.

Yesterday I literally drove it 3 miles or so and as I was driving it, I just lost all power and it quit. I tried starting it, but it wouldn't start. My first thought was that it was the fuel pump. I turned the ignition on and the fuel pump (stock) didn't make any noise or vibrate.

So I called a friend of mine who told me they could tow me back home, but it would be about an hour. No problem, I will wait.

Meanwhile, I check all my fuses, all my air lines in the motor, knock on my fuel filter to see if that got plugged, tap my fuel pump, etc. I tried to start it probably 8-10 times in the next 40 minutes. Nothing. Just turns over and over.

Then I call a friend of mine on the phone to waste a little time while I wait. I figured, why not, I would try to start the Bus again, after having nothing different than I already have done... and VROOOM! It started.

I was able to make it home, and shut it off. I parked it and a few minutes later, started it again. No problem.

My question for everyone... fluke? Or what would you do before driving it again, I would rather not be stranded, especially if I have my young kids with me. A friend of mine suggested it could be the fuel pump relay going bad? Do they slowly go bad, or go bad all together? I would have thought they just go bad, since they are electrical, but I could be wrong.

Any help/advice or thoughts on what you would do are gratefully appreciated!! Thank you.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

Welcome to the #1 most common problem with a late bus!

Before I start down the road of lengthy explanation,
I’ll suggest searching.

You won’t have to go far,
And this one was thoroughly flogged in just the last day or so.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

Start with checking the ground connections under the intake plenum. These are notorious for loosening and causing all kinds of problems. Make sure they're absolutely tight!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728226

What’s That Noise?!?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

Does your exhaust smell of fuel when the engine refuses to start?

BTW, the fuel pump will not run just because you turned on the ignition. The engine must be turning over for the fuel pump to run, either because the starter is engaged, or the engine has started and is now running.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

BTW, the fuel pump will not run just because you turned on the ignition. The engine must be turning over for the fuel pump to run, either because the starter is engaged, or the engine has started and is now running.

No, I didn't smell fuel when it refused to start. HOWEVER.... since I owned the Bus for the past 7 years everytime I shut it off, it does smell like fuel. Is there a reason? I never looked into it, I park it in the garage... and leave the garage door open a few hours to let it air out... any help on that very much appreciated.

I did not know this about the fuel pump...I thought with power to the ignition, you would hear the pump? Most of the other electronic pumps make noise when ignition is on??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

No, I didn't smell fuel when it refused to start. HOWEVER.... since I owned the Bus for the past 7 years everytime I shut it off, it does smell like fuel. Is there a reason? I never looked into it, I park it in the garage... and leave the garage door open a few hours to let it air out... any help on that very much appreciated.

I did not know this about the fuel pump...I thought with power to the ignition, you would hear the pump? Most of the other electronic pumps make noise when ignition is on??

This isn't most other electric pumps. Its an early fuel injection system before much in the way of digital electronics came along. The fuel pump is controlled by a fairly crude electro-mechanicall system. It is easy to understand and is dependable.

If your exhaust doesn't smell of fuel when the engine doesn't start you probably have a fuel system problem. You can check the operation of the pump by removing the air cleaner element and with the ignition on use a pencil or wooden dowel to push the flap in the AFM open, you should hear the fuel pump relay side of the double relay close and hear the buzz of the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

Not sure why you are smelling gas after shutdown, maybe you need to change out your fuel lines with the high pressure, FI rated, Gates Barricade hose. It is much more impermeable to gas than the earlier hoses.
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

We had the issue with our 76 bus where it would die randomly and not start for awhile and then run perfectly. Sometimes it wouldn’t happen for a month and I would think it was all fixed. Then suddenly on the highway it would stall and we would coast to a stop and sit there for awhile before it would start. It was very scary. I replaced the coil as suggested by members of the forum and it has not happened since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving.

Anytime a gasoline powered car fails to run there are 3 areas that one must look at. Find the one(s) that are missing and you'll find the cause.

Spark
fuel (air to fuel)
Compression
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 VW Bus w/FI Died (Quite while running) Reply with quote

My 78 bus quit while driving down the road. I removed the temperature sensor, cleaned the threads on the sensor and reinstalled the sensor. The bus fired right up. That was several months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: