Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dave Folts Transaxle Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
Would love to see repair fix photos of that diff if you end up fixing it.

Also would you mind posting pictures of some of Dave's other tools he's made over the years? It neat to learn what kind of tips and tricks Dave has that he'd be willing to share.

I will post photos of it being fixed and the cost for the diff/ring gear single unit.

As far as tools and tricks. Dave told me to find a middle finger emoji and insert here :fist: I ask too many questions just to learn and he gets mad and tells me to shut up. He won’t even let me watch him build my trans tomorrow. He is like that.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

That's funny about the emoji.

I guess be careful taking pictures, don't need to see a part flying in the air at you caught on camera. Hahaha

He always seems relaxed on the phone when I call and talk to him. Guessing the emoji had to be a bit funny talk as well.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Been testing the locker in my new trans. The old one had 1800 hard miles on it and multiple clutch dumps over 6k with cheater slicks. NO cracks and everything looked good.

The new trans is all my same parts except the pyramid case instead of the 091 and the tbd has the locker in it. My 3-4 syncro was bent so he put a new stronger one in.

The locker works like you would expect, under power it is very hard to steer. Flip the switch and its back to a standard tbd. pretty awesome. We are going to do some launch tests later in the week.

Be on the look out for a 091 5 speed that will fit in an early bug or late, 2 hockey stick locations!! new cast gear carrier and new cast nosecone. I can't take any pictures yet but it is getting close to being done. The first one is sold already.. Not to me either. Dave is working day and night to get this thing done... He said very expensive if built with all the good parts, weddle, Peliquin etc.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Presently on the drawing board is a similar 094 locking diff, but true LSD version, rather than TBD ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Be on the look out for a 091 5 speed that will fit in an early bug or late, 2 hockey stick locations!! new cast gear carrier and new cast nosecone. I can't take any pictures yet but it is getting close to being done. The first one is sold already.. Not to me either. Dave is working day and night to get this thing done... He said very expensive if built with all the good parts, weddle, Peliquin etc.

What’s the status with the Berg patents? They had a version of their Type 2 intermediate housing that included all the components of the Type 1 5spd. It dropped off the face of the earth due to cost, demand, or the Berg way of waiting months/years to gather enough components/orders to “make a production run”.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m by no means in the manufacturing process of any trans part, by why cast, instead of billet? Is billet THAT much more cost prohibitive? I rember LAND Engineering making the billet 002/091 intermediate housings that some liked better than Bergs that were cracking around the rods. Maybe it was just the material since Eric/Dave’s cast intermediate housings didn’t seem to have that issue. And for Gods sake get rid of the goofy 505916 bearing in between 4th-5th. The Berg Type 1 5spds are in the $5k-$8k range, so if a Type 2 could be comparable, I could see a market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

cost has to be the reason, He does the DECO(2D) case cast and a 091 case and bell housing cast, both with improvements to them and no issues. Him and Eric do the bus to bug gear carrier out of cast also.

If it needed to be Billet then Dave would of done that, but now he has a pile of them and once done the wait will be very short for the parts.

I will ask him about the bearing.

My 091 was up near 6500 with no 5th gear. add 2k or more and you are at 8500-9500 range. Still cheaper than an Albins or Fortin at 30K
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

This is good to know because i need a 091 5 speed bus box in my car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Ok so talked to dave today. His nose cone is for late or early car 002 conversion. Not 091. I saw it mocked up in a 6 rib so I thought that’s what it was. He said the thing would be 3/4 longer in a true 091 trans. My bad. Either way he is getting closer. He has the shift forks for both late and early years.

More to come later in the month.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Ok so talked to dave today. His nose cone is for late or early car 002 conversion. Not 091. I saw it mocked up in a 6 rib so I thought that’s what it was. He said the thing would be 3/4 longer in a true 091 trans. My bad. Either way he is getting closer. He has the shift forks for both late and early years.

Popcorn

The main issue to me is the ring, and pinion. Sure an 091 mainshaft will have a bit wider of a 1st gear from an 002 shaft, but that doesn’t seem to be too big of an issue with an aftermarket gear. Those needing a wider 1st aren’t running VW based transaxles. If Dave keeping the 002 gear sets makes parts more available, I’m all for it.

Rancho has one of Bergs older Bus 5spd’s in the classifieds currently for $8500 with a standard late 094 4 spider diff.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2377160
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Dave saw that. He knew they had one in old stock they had for quite some time. Someone might of thought to sell it now before they are more readily available.

8500 with a German R/P means with a Weddle the price will be in the 9k range.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

I do have some pictures of the shift forks I will post next week.

Dave is also making a billet jig for the 2D and econo. He said they are unavailable. His is really nice. He made 5 or 6 of them. You would have to call and get a price, he told me but I can’t recall what it was.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Dave saw that. He knew they had one in old stock they had for quite some time. Someone might of thought to sell it now before they are more readily available.

8500 with a German R/P means with a Weddle the price will be in the 9k range.

The Rancho trans would be $9k+ with a Weddle r&p, or any type of LSD/TBD, but what is Dave’s target price? If it’s similar, I don’t see him selling many more than Berg did.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

somewhere around the same price. my trans would of been 6500.00 with the TBD and all the weddle stuff. so for me to upgrade to 5 speed i would have to change all 4 gears 3.11x1.93x1.22x.82 4:13 R/P. my .82 would be a good 5th. I stretched out all my gears due to having so much torque, knowing 1/4 mile would suffer.

So 2k and I would be in the ballpark of what his target price is.

I think there a lot of guys with 002 bus boxes that will spend the 1500.00 or so to get the 5th that are already geared for the 1/4

He already spent the $$ for the castings so to him it is like money in the bank. He has piles of projects like this all over the corners of his shop and his house. (I was told he has enough spare parts for my engine that I could have another engine built) I am going to help him clean up and organize so I can put a pile of parts in the "For Robert" pile.

I took a picture of the dragster's Strange top load diff. (they might be making a gear change) The picture doesn't show how big it really is.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
somewhere around the same price. my trans would of been 6500.00 with the TBD and all the weddle stuff. so for me to upgrade to 5 speed i would have to change all 4 gears 3.11x1.93x1.22x.82 4:13 R/P. my .82 would be a good 5th. I stretched out all my gears due to having so much torque, knowing 1/4 mile would suffer.

So 2k and I would be in the ballpark of what his target price is.

I think there a lot of guys with 002 bus boxes that will spend the 1500.00 or so to get the 5th that are already geared for the 1/4

He already spent the $$ for the castings so to him it is like money in the bank. He has piles of projects like this all over the corners of his shop and his house. (I was told he has enough spare parts for my engine that I could have another engine built) I am going to help him clean up and organize so I can put a pile of parts in the "For Robert" pile.

I took a picture of the dragster's Strange top load diff. (they might be making a gear change) The picture doesn't show how big it really is.

I guess it will depend on components. Most of the Type 1 5spds I’ve seen have had super diffs, and nothing too fancy for a diff.

If the dragster’s gear set is anything like the 10-11 inch Pro-Stock gear sets, I’m guessing the base of the pinion head is about 4 inches in diameter.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Ok so i guess it is confirmed its an 002 5 speed and not an 091. I have a 4.57 ring i want to try in this 5 speed unit.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

I am hoping by some chance he will do the 091 setup.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Dave has 5 of these for sale. Mendola 2d/econo jigs.

Has the spacer on the back to be able to do econo also. Very nice piece. 600.00

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Off road trans needing a little love. Weld it? Just kidding. It’s in the scrap pile.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

Some of Dave’s heavy duty aluminum diff’s ready for shipment.

Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Folts Transaxle Parts Reply with quote

That's some amazing machining as always from Dave!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: