Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

smokey
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamboleo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: smokey Reply with quote

Question
I have 1973 Thing i just purchaced (first aircooled vw). It has 1600cc dual carb engine. when i slow down from freeway speed (60mph) there is a lot of white smoke that comes out of exhaust. does not happen around town, only from fast to slow/stop. Is this something i should be worried about. car has not been driven in awhile, maybe once a year and thats it.

thanks for any response.
Targus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, and welcome!
It could be alot of things and I bet you will get alot more reponses in the performance engine forum.
I'm thinking maybe worn valve guides.
Andromeda451
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Smokey exhaust Reply with quote

T,

When you let off the accellerator you create a high vacuum in the intake sytem and engine. This will pull oil past the rings and valve guides. Couple of things to to:

Make sure the gasoline is fresh, stale gas aggarvates the problem.
Use the correct weight oil. I use SAE30 and SAE40 in heat . Multi-V oils are not as good IMHO in an aircooled unit.
Make sure you're not overfilling the engine.

If the unit is as unused as you believe the rings may just be gummed up and some good ling drives with freash oil may free them up.

Andromeda451
73 Type 181
74 Type 181
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White smoke is almost always caused by burning oil. One possibility might be that your dual-carb setup is introducing excessive gas to your intake when you slow like that. This could wash the oil from parts of your engine & cause white smoke. Try adjusting your air/feul mix and see if that helps. If not, the oil may be coming through worn rings, etc., so a rebuild may be needed. Fortunately, you've got plenty of good options in So Cal. Above all else, keep an eye on your oil, because regardless of the source of the problem, your engine may not be getting great lubrication & that just spells disaster in any aircooled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: