Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch and now transmission issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

I’ve had my Oval for about 3 years now, but it has been having a Resto and waiting for work to be completed etc so It has not run or been driven.
I put the engine in and when it started was making a rubbing noise coming from the bell housing on the gearbox.
When we pulled the engine the rivet heads on the new clutch pressure plate arms was rubbing on the inside of the gearbox. The boss that supports the cross shaft for the clutch release bearing had a witness mark on it.
We measured the new and old pressure plates and there was about 3mm difference. So I fitted the old pressure plate with the new clutch plate and reassembled it again.
When we tightened the clutch cable nut all ok until the clutch pedal was operated and then the pedal would go loose again, tighten the nut on the cable and When the clutch pedal was operated same again.
When we looked at the transmission lever that the cable goes through it was not returning, spring all in place etc.
So engine out again, I’m getting good at getting the engine out now!
The cross shaft with the 2 fingers that holds the clutch release bearing is bent really bad which is why it’s not returning.
I Now have to remove the transmission and split the case to replace the cross shaft. Which I am not happy about, sure my car hates me !
What has caused it as don’t want to go through this again ?????
Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

One can see you did the best you can to describe the issue.
However, it would help a lot if you provide pictures of the (inside) of the bell housing, the bent shaft and all the parts you mentioned.
It will help the "Samba people" to diagnose the problem.
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

I’ll get some pictures posted up next week.
My car is at the resto shop so I’ll call in and sort them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

You could buy this and cut the end off rather than taking the transmission all apart Crying or Very sad
https://www.stoddard.com/64416031-nla.html.html
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

Or try to find a replaceable clutch operating fork that installs without splitting the case.
VW split case only to chassis 3 192 506.
Part number 111 141 700
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2033316

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, an in car repair kit would be really helpful.
What I still cant work out is what caused it ?
I am worried about going to the trouble of repairing it for it to happen again.

What would cause the shaft to bend ??
I will post up pictures when i have them.
Thanks for your support and help.
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s hard to see and to even harder to take pictures off.
The cross shaft is bent so when operated it sticks in the forward position, the spring on the end of the shaft where the cable goes through will not return it to the vertical position.
Would like to know what has caused it to bend ?
The repair is to remove the gearbox, split the case, pull out the bent shaft and replace with a new one.
I don’t want to go through all that and risk it happening again.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

""The cross shaft is bent so when operated it sticks in the forward position, the spring on the end of the shaft where the cable goes through will not return it to the vertical position""

Have you checked whether the cross shaft worked as it should before you installed the engine?
Perhaps the shaft was already bent?
Could have been the result of the failure of the pressure plate or the throw out bearing.
Here an example of a failing throw out bearing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715248

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch and now transmission issue Reply with quote

Hi Ovally,
I replaced the clutch release bearing but cant remember if I tried the operation of it once fitted.
All of the original clutch parts look in good usable condition.
It's just the cross shaft that is bent, and therfore stopping it from opearting correctly.
I just want to know what has bent the cross shaft in the first place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: