Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Window Chrome
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

I need to re-seal my two front windows (exterior scrapers almost non-existent).

I would like to keep the chrome trim but in reviewing what's available from the vendors and reading old threads it seems that its difficult to do this. I know that you can buy the trim that has the groove for the chrome, but I cant find the chrome to fit in the groove other than the flexible plastic/chrome looking stuff which doesn't seem appropriate for this use since the existing chrome is more of a rigid piece.

1. Is it possible to re-use the existing chrome trim? Its in good shape.

2. Is there a source of the chrome trim that's not the flexible stuff?

Surely somebody has solved this issue. I recently replaced all of the window chrome around the van and want to keep it stock.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
...2. Is there a source of the chrome trim that's not the flexible stuff?...

Yes. I replaced just those lower pieces on my '84 using the original style trim with the metal 'chrome' already in place.

Was slightly more difficult than changing a wiper blade (i.e. a piece of cake).

The parts came from Gunzl in the Fatherland but delivery was quick and the price so reasonable that even with shipping the cost was in line with domestic suppliers (if they had had them).

When I am off the phone and on the computer I should be able to get you a link to the parts.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Here are links to the trim from Günzl Classic Parts:

https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts.../255837704

https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts.../255837703

Yeah, one listing lacks a photo and the other has a poor photo - both descriptions are somewhat vague. But those are the part numbers I ordered and what I got had the chrome molding installed in them.

Armed with those part numbers you may be able to find them cheaper or from a domestic source (for cheaper shipping).
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. I have a nice rainy day to dig into this.
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Here are links to the trim from Günzl Classic Parts:

Yeah, one listing lacks a photo and the other has a poor photo - both descriptions are somewhat vague. But those are the part numbers I ordered and what I got had the chrome molding installed in them.

Hey a quick clarification question. Do you mean that the new sweep part comes with the chrome already installed? In that case, do you need to cut the existing continuous chrome trim at the vent window and install a chrome trim clip to cover the join?
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Good question with a good answer :
The new 'chrome' style scrapers slip into the existing chrome.
GUNZL all the way!

: )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Thank you! On my way to spiffy new window seals, woohoo!
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

I'm going to show my ignorance, and this thread is probably the best place to ask this question:

1 - as you can see, I also have chrome trim in my front windows, but in my case, I don't truly like them (have been lusting for an all-black trim for a while):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2 - this second picture shows that the rubber (?) seal by the chrome trim is almost gone:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So my questions are:

1 - is the rubber (?) seals in the second picture what you call the scrappers? iF not, what are they? I'm assuming I need to replace them ASAP.

2 - if rubber (?) seals are not the scrappers, what are the scrappers then?

3 - from the conversation in this thread, it seems that it's possible to remove the chrome trim and go all black, is that correct? If so, how is that part called? Do they come together along with the rubber (?) seals? I'm hoping GW/BD/VanCafe sells them.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

More good questions.
Yes, indeed the rotted rubber is the scraper.
The scrapers sold by GW and VanCafe are the NON-CHROME type (GW has a video showing how to remove the chrome trim). They are complete, black trim in lieu of chrome. For a preview, just look at the INSIDE scraper on your door. Yep, it’s the same style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front Window Chrome Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks a lot!

plummerdesign wrote:
More good questions.
Yes, indeed the rotted rubber is the scraper.
The scrapers sold by GW and VanCafe are the NON-CHROME type (GW has a video showing how to remove the chrome trim). They are complete, black trim in lieu of chrome. For a preview, just look at the INSIDE scraper on your door. Yep, it’s the same style.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: