Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 wiper disassembley
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: 67 wiper disassembley Reply with quote

From the picture below, can the plastic gear inside the housing be removed without major effort? I want to remove any old grease the may be underneath, but I can't do a nice job with it installed. Do I need to remove the pivot arm that is underneath on which it is attached to? Or should I just leave it be, blast it with brake cleaner and then repack?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wiggle the arm off, then the wiper gear slides out.

BEFORE wiggling the arm off, make sure you know which way exactly on the splines it is installed, as that determines where the wipers park, and og they park on the right. Perhaps a dab of nail polish so you can line it up later?
You don't want them to park in the middle. Confused

I have re-installed the splined arm by trial and error to fix the parking location. It is easier to do before installation in the bus.

Also make sure you don't lose the little cone piece of metal that the adjustment for the wiper motors sets on, or the wipers will be louder. It gets lost in the old grease.
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

BEFORE wiggling the arm off, make sure you know which way exactly on the splines it is installed, as that determines where the wipers park, and og they park on the right. Perhaps a dab of nail polish so you can line it up later?

ouch!
mine park in the left (looking from inside..)
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking wiper blades...must be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Also make sure you don't lose the little cone piece of metal that the adjustment for the wiper motors sets on, or the wipers will be louder. It gets lost in the old grease.

Whew, I'm glad you said that. From an earlier search before I posted this thread, somebody (I think it was you) else mentioned that cone piece. I went back and looked on the napkin where I smeared the removed grease and on the floor where I disassembled the wiper assembly, no luck. I then took a peek into where the plastic gear is and noticed a blob of grease and found it there. I posted some photos for future reference. I'm guessing that cone piece is placed on the end of the armature shaft. Is that correct? Thanks for the help!

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's it. you fit it in the housing before sliding the armature in.
The armature slops around w/o it and so the motor is noisier.
Guess how I know? Embarassed Laughing
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
Parking wiper blades...must be nice.

X2.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I have re-installed the splined arm by trial and error to fix the parking location. It is easier to do before installation in the bus.

can't you just reindex the wiper arms on the wiper shafts to do this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
Clara wrote:

try it and let us know how that works for you.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:
Clara wrote:

try it and let us know how that works for you.

i can't tell if thats sarcasm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:

i can't tell if thats sarcasm.

Yes. Yes it is. Moving just the wipers would change the arc of sweep.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 67 wiper disassembley Reply with quote

I found this thread looking for wiper info. I too removed the mechanism from the motor without marking it.
I cleaned out old grease and reassembled motor. Motor works well at high and low and then I switch to self parking pin 54d to let the motor park. I am going to check the position of the assembly on my other 67' and attempt to line up the splines in the same way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: