Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

If your clutch pedal wears too far, it can break, and leave you WAY stranded, where welding is almost the only repair.

Lots of Vanagon owners cannot remove/replace their clutch pedal, but they'd like to KNOW if it's OK to leave on a trip.
If you CAN do the work, here's the thread: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics)
If you have a Smallcar Bellhousing see this thread: Smallcar bellhousing clutch options

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pedal cluster was “deleted” by the 🔌 ⚡️🔩 Vanabolt 🔩 ⚡️🔌

I think a lot of folks want to know "how bad is BAD?" This one I have here, from a 1984 vanabolt is "not so bad".
It has 6/10ths of an inch of slop at the pedal, which means there is 1/10th inch of slop at the pin.

The pedal wears out BECAUSE the clevis joint gets completely DRY, no lube at all.
If you grease it, the wear STOPS.

So check your pedal - if it has just a little slop, then grease it now and it may last "forever".
My 1990 van pedal was greasy, and it is still perfect (no slop !) at 199,500 miles.
I'm not exaggerating, Zero slop.
Lube is good.

I would "guess" that if your pedal has more than 1.5 inches of slop, it's crucial to remove it ASAP and get the pedal rebuilt and a new pin.
If you have an inch of slop? ....I dunno,,,,,, maybe just a new pin (greased, of course!) would tighten it up a bit.
See VanCafe for the pin; CLUTCH PEDAL REBUILD KIT
or GoWesty new pin Clutch Pedal Rebuild Kit
Or just use an M8 bolt with a Nyloc nut.
Ideally a bolt with a smooth shank.

If you remove the two master cylinder bolts, you can drop the clevis down and it's easier to pack grease into the clevis.
You can get grease in there just by packing it in and wiggling the clevis joint.

I made a video to help a little, but I can't post it because YouTube hates me.

GoWesty has the entire rebuilt pedal "exchange" for $132 + $200 core charge Clutch Pedal Assembly for Vanagon (Rebuilt)

Here's some pics of worn out clutch pedals.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:13 am; edited 3 times in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

What a helpful post! This potential disaster has been on my mind but not so much that I've done anything about it. This provides good info and action items. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

For those who are willing to remove their sloppy clutch pedals,
    recording a “Before” measurement of clutch pedal slop
    then
    posting a pic of the loose hole and the pin

would be helpful info on TheSamba.Wink
The vans are getting OLD!
We’re entering the Antique phase, like it or not!
Strange new line items are appearing on the maintenance schedule.

With this info we can determine at what measurements it becomes crucial to remove / rebuild / replace the pedal. And when its all good too (no worries)Wink

You cannot see this problem area up under the dash, all you can do is measure the pedal slop.
Non-mechanics can DO this.

As the example above, the 1984 Vanabolt pedal at 0.60” is a little loose, but in no danger.
And greased, it will now last “forever”.
Isn’t this comforting to know?
Probably no additional action required except to grease again every 10 years (???).

Also note that the pins wear smaller in the center. A new pin (or M8 bolt with Nyloc locknut?) will reduce the pedal slop too. Note that a 5/16” bolt is exactly same as M8.
Restoring full pin diameter will further preserve the pedal pivot (along with the grease!).
And same deal with reporting before/after measurements to your Samba. Members will like to know how much slop “goes away” with just a pin replacement.

Theres a limit though, where simple “pin replacement” is sufficient. At some measurement of pedal slop.... we’ll be able to conclude whether its “pin only” or “complete pedal rebuild required”.

I think we can figure that out (with Samba participation). I bet a lot of pedals are being replaced at great cost and concern.....pedals that simply needed a proper evaluation..... and “grease” to arrest the decline.

The mechanical among you can note that a new (full-diameter) pin could wedge in the oval slot, and not rotate, shifting the “wear area” to the clevis which has double the area and is now greased (right?). So it’s possible that the only problem is the “annoyance” of pedal slop. And perhaps, your ”cruise control” switches don’t work as designed..

It won’t be a lot of fun to change just that pin, I don’t know if it’s even possible.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

More vanxiety projects for the upcoming months Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

There is free play required for the master - I believe the spec is 0.5 mm (.020") - so some 'slop' in the pedal is to be expected. Using the 6:1 ratio that would be about 1/8" of free movement at the pedal.

IOW - you don't want it dead tight, but yeah, .6" at the pedal suggests a worn pin.

My pedal had more free movement than I liked but upon removal the pin was perfect (had always been greased) though I was able to remove some free play by adjusting the pushrod length on the master.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
There is free play required for the master - I believe the spec is 0.5 mm (.020") - so some 'slop' in the pedal is to be expected. Using the 6:1 ratio that would be about 1/8" of free movement at the pedal.

Yes thanks for that note. My pedal (of greased & legendary perfection 👌🏼 ) had about 1/4 inch of slop,
and I wondered how much the 'current' master-cylinder adjustment had to do with that.

Here's the Bentley page showing the adjustment.
Also worthy to note that some adjustment can be had by sliding the master cylinder up or down in its (slightly) oval bolt holes. Which can be filed or drilled larger too.

It's real hard to measure 0.5mm = 0.020 inches.
Basically you just wanna feel "looseness" in the master cylinder pushrod/clevis when the clutch spring is holding the pedal tight up against its stop.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

Here's a new PSA image for this VANAGON clutch pedal problem.
Vanagons are like 40 years old. SOME clutch pedals are getting loose!
They need to be repaired (or greased if not loose yet)

OK here's the PSA image.
If you find errors or need clarifications, please DON'T ['QUOTE] the image
because that makes the error image permanent on theSamba.
Plz describe the confusion (or a PM) and I'll replace the error image, so we have the best PSA.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal Reply with quote

Sodo, way to go! Now... how to add a 'Mullendore port' for the clevis.. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: