Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Puma, now I'm really confused
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

I bought the 84 gtc than was advertised here and it is a very nice car, clean, runs great, and it was a real good price.
Only got it yesterday, and looking it over, I find a plate on driver door jam, it says manufactured by, bremen sports, Indiana.
It's so well constructed I thought it might have been factory made in Brazil then imported in to USA.
bremen sports made fiberglass components and made a few kit cars.
Now I am trying to figure out if it's a kit put together by bremen or a puma body made by bremen?
Anyone know any history of bremen, did not find anything online search.
Geeto67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

From my time in the kit car world years ago and very limited knowledge, I believe that Bremen Sports imported puma rollers or bodies from Brazil and then Bremen attached their "mfg" tag as a way of obtaining titles for the vehicles to be sold to customers.

As long as Bremen was considered a kit car manufacturer and they assembled a "kit" from various parts they could issue a certificate of origin (MSO) which a buyer could use to get a title, regardless as to whether they laid the glass or not. I don't know how Bremen actually did it, but there are people out there who claim to have been there at the time and that the Puma's came in as bare bodies.

congrats on your puma purchase, I hope to buy one myself someday.
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

Geeto67, thanks for the info
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

Old post, but are you sure it's a Puma? Bremen never made the Puma but it's possible that they were used as the MSO supplier. First I've heard of that. A buddy of mine imported Puma's in the late '70's.. I'll have to ask him about how the cars were registered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

It is a puma, its looks like one and is titled as one, it has " breman sports " tag on drivers door.

I guess they bought the kit and did the build
devildog0341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Puma, now I'm really confused Reply with quote

Lifelong experience in the manufacture of specialty cars. Both original designs as well as recreations of vintage models. My initial introduction to the industry came while working with VW of Brazil in the late 1970's.

In 1980 I became involved as the Director of North American sales for Puma Industria de Automoveis, LTDA of Sao Paolo, where we manufactured over 22,000 cars and trucks primarily for the sports car starved internal Brazilian market.

Later a few of us PUMA guys broke off to begin reproducing Porsche cars such as the 550 Spyder and 356 Speedster, both mid '50's vintage sports cars.
Our products were engineered and developed for the U.S. market by Mr. Chuck Beck, and are still known today as BECK cars around the world. This is directly copy and pasted from Kevin Hines LinkedIn page. Kevin Hines has a place in Breman Indiana that builds Beck 356 replicas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: