Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Aloha
I was just looking at the new pilot bearing which way does it go in wide lip out or to the back ? Didn’t realize that it was different on each side.
Mahalo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

You' ve got the transaxle out , see which side fits over the input shaft.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Bentley says any text / markings on the bearing cage should face out, and to lubricate with Molybdenum disulfide grease when installing.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Will work either way, I would put them in flat side out because it's more surface to drive against.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

The lip on the numbered side is slightly thicker, to resist deformation during installation.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Mahalo guys !
You guys are always a great help
David
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Where in the Bentley are the details for installing the pilot bearing? I can't seem to find them.

With the text/marking facing out, just whack it in until it bottoms out? Using a socket equal to the outer diameter of the bearing?
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Bentley 13.56 specifies orientation of the bearing.

Consider the upgraded pilot bearing 056 105 313 C
Note: flywheel modification required for this bearing. The O ring end faces out.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Bentley 13.56 specifies orientation of the bearing.

Consider the upgraded pilot bearing 056 105 313 C
Note: flywheel modification required for this bearing. The O ring end faces out.

So for years I thought this bearing was an upgrade, repeating what I read about it. It is actually for a diesel Vanagon or any 4 inline engines of that era and IT DOESNT FIT in a WBX crank, you`ll have to redrill the crank to install this bearing. It is also a bit longer.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Salut mon vieux!

I’m installing another one of these this weekend, they do in fact work. It is the same diameter bearing, but is a few mm longer to accommodate the integral o ring seal. The O ring seal replaces the factory felt seal and associated metal spacer which presses into the flywheel. So yeah it is true that you have to clearance the recess in the flywheel to accommodate the longer diesel bearing, but the fit into the end of the crank is the same. Deleting the spacer and felt ring seal=upgrade in my book.

I attached a couple of pictures below to illustrate the difference. The Diesel pilot bearing is on the left, the MV bearing plus seal and spacer on the right...

Here the height of the O ring bearing on the left vs. Bearing plus felt on right.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Countersinking the engine side of the flywheel to allow the use of the longer "diesel" bearing takes almost no time when using a quality stepped drill bit. I started doing this on both my Bays and Vanagons about a dozen years ago with great success.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

I have also used a stepped drill bit to clearance the WBX flywheel and installed the diesel bearing into a WBX. Total time modifying the flywheel is ~1 minute if you take a break in the middle of the job. No mods to the crank.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Diesel pilot bearing installed in crank.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Your pictures are now refreshing my memory, indeed the OD is identical, I now remember redrilling the flywheel with a 18mm drill bit I think it was, or 23mm? I forgot.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

First.. Numbers out on the bearing.. no matter which you choose. That said.. things are not going to self destruct no matter how it gets pressed in.

Having decades of various installs.. on paper I agree that the diesel bearing is better. Practical knowledge says there is nothing to improve upon. Even sans OG felt and retaining ring this is just a minimally stressed bearing that does its job without complaint. How many modern cars use bronze bushings?

Of course you can drill your cast iron flywheel like butter but why?

J
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

J

I would say that about 75% of the classic VW transmissions I have seen have had a scored up input shaft from having had a pilot bearing failure over the years.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which direction does the pilot bearing go in ? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
jberger wrote:

J

I would say that about 75% of the classic VW transmissions I have seen have had a scored up input shaft from having had a pilot bearing failure over the years.

I have also seen failed pilot bearings (not simply scored input shafts). Just not in those numbers. Like "just a couple" truly failed where you can not shift. Versus the hundreds of thousands of miles completed with a pinky fingers worth of grease in a non felted\shimmed or sealed pilot bearing. The numbers don't add up. I agree with all the suggested measures but also know that despite our missteps.. the show will go on.. and on.. and... well... on.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: