Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

I'm clearly treading out of my swim lane (vanagon forum), but I came across this Ghia for sale here in Charlottesville VA and it looks...really really nice (but no images of the under carriage).
edit: posting this if others are interested in it, I'm not in the market.

Anyways, over in vanagon samaba land there is a thread for "vans for a great price" but I didnt see something similar here... but enough yapping. Here's the details (no association with seller) I also cannot vouch if this is not a scam etc...

From Facebook Marketplace:
link:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/743235966084731/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seller's Description

Amazing condition vintage 1969 Karmann Ghia. CAR SHOW READY.

THIS PRICE IS FIRM.

We are only selling because we did not end up enjoying car shows as much as we had expected.

We have had this amazing vehicle for about 9 years and only put 1-2000 miles on it. We have had a lot of work done to it to maintain and improve it. We would prefer it goes to someone who will enjoy it for joyrides and carshows. This car is in great shape and runs well right now and is ready for you to test drive.

Here's what we have done recently:

- Brand new ignition switch
- Brand new gas lines + repaired gas tank
- Engine 80k H Block Excellent Condition, 1584 cc. Original odo. 156472.
- New floor pans and heater channels and ducts (THIS WAS A MAJOR EXPENSE. Don't be fooled by other vintage cars listed for sale that are rusted out underneath. The body of this car is in amazing condition).
- New Paint: Silver Gray.
- Transmission works well
- Heater boxes work well
- Flooring carpet replaced, all interior removed for full pan installation
- Original seats in fair condition
- Lots of new parts to go with it, approx. $175.00

May need in the future:
- H front beam; refurbished ( In decent shape, but may need in a year or two of going to shows)
- new emergency flasher switch
- emergency brake lever ( has original which is worn)

Please email me with you interest in the car. I'll send you a phone number to speak with me. Then we can schedule a test drive.

Last edited by dsdunbar on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

From the photos you post, it is a decent deal.
Obviously a repaint which is always a red flag for hiding rust and poor repairs.

A major plus is the rear torsion bar cover is intact, something that vanishes on a "cave and pave" repair to hide rust.

The rocker panels on these rust terribly. If there is a paint bubble on the outside, most often it is rust dust on the inside already.

There is a buyers guide in the stickies at the top of the page.

Go look at it, does it sit level and proud? Or does it kind of sag and droop?

I'd grab it except new paint scares me so check it out carefully.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
From the photos you post, it is a decent deal.
Obviously a repaint which is always a red flag for hiding rust and poor repairs.

A major plus is the rear torsion bar cover is intact, something that vanishes on a "cave and pave" repair to hide rust.

The rocker panels on these rust terribly. If there is a paint bubble on the outside, most often it is rust dust on the inside already.

There is a buyers guide in the stickies at the top of the page.

Go look at it, does it sit level and proud? Or does it kind of sag and droop?

I'd grab it except new paint scares me so check it out carefully.

Dave

Hey Dave, my bad...I misrepresented myself. All of my "car" money is tied up in the vanagon, I wanted to post this somewhere where Ghia folks would see it (much like we have the good deals on good vans thread.

I'm not in the market. Sorry for any confusion
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

I really don't want to pick that ad apart (as my only 3-4 year experience in Ghias may not back it up), but let me give you a couple of hints :

- That pointy shape above the headlights is wierd and certainly not made up of metal....
- 1 or 2 thousand miles in 9 years? That would be 6 tanks of gas over 9 years? Does repaired gas tank mean just a "slight" hole welded (or JB-welded) shut?
- Original ODO can not show original 156472 miles, as it only has 5 digits. So the first digit may be a 1, but also a 2....or a 4.
- Heater channels and ducts -> pictures needed. Unlike floor pans (which you may recognize on first sight), I would only accept that statement if dated pictures of the installed parts are provided. Many horror storries of 2, 3 or more repair rocker panels welded OVER the rusted (and cut out) warm air channels, and that picture you have to see, to believe.
- The color name "silver gray" may point out that the exact color code is not known, which makes even a partial respray a roulette game. Especially if it's not at least an original VW color, but something generic.
- If the front beam needs a refurbishing, 1-2 years of going to shows may mean drive it home, but inspect it immediately to rule out any dangerous situations.

Again, I don't want to put you off the car (we can only dream about Ghias in this condition in Europe, for that price), but only a few questions for you to ask when inspecting a "cheap" Ghia. Please excuse my English.

For that price, if everything checks out, I would protect the h3ll out of it (rust protection wax, and further measures), fix up the technical issues and enjoy the rest.

Late edit: I know grey/silver is hard to paint (especially if you are painting separated parts), but the torsion covers look slightly off, maybe because of the color? The shadows throw me off there....

Even later edit: Now I understand the thread.... Embarassed Even with some reserves (see above), it seems a good price.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:

- That pointy shape above the headlights is wierd and certainly not made up of metal....

X2, You beat me to it.

The rockers appear to be a bit bloated.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

Good eye on the points above the headlights. Likely they had the usual rot above the buckets and someone who doesn't do VWs didn't know the correct contour and followed the top fender seam to what they thought was its logical conclusion.
That alone destroys the value of that car because it indicates rot elsewhere repaired incorrectly.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

All of my "car" money is tied up in the vanagon

^^^
Tag Line worthy for sure!!

Nice looking KG, I sure would love (yet another) Ghia Smile [hint hint Santa]

I think My Vanagon got north of $3K this year, and my Ghia got $150 .. Go figure
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Vladiiiii wrote:

X2, You beat me to it.

I was looking at that too, while there is a ridge on top it flows nicely to the headlight trim.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

Hmmm, this is a tough one. If the seller’s description is accurate and it really does have actual new metal, I could see $4500 but I would reshape and paint it. Or Maybe just leave it alone and drive it, but not park next to another Ghia.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

Seller's Description: Amazing condition vintage 1969 Karmann Ghia. CAR SHOW READY.

Hardly looks "amazing" or "car show ready" to me...especially that interior Confused
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
dsdunbar wrote:

Seller's Description: Amazing condition vintage 1969 Karmann Ghia. CAR SHOW READY.

Hardly looks "amazing" or "car show ready" to me...especially that interior Confused

Good point. Now It seems doubtful it has “new” metal. CP
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

No matter.
It seems to be sold.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

It’s a hot potato
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Anyways, over in vanagon samaba land there is a thread for "vans for a great price" but I didnt see something similar here...

You mean something like a Karmann Ghias For A Great Price thread here in the Ghia Forum?

Nope, I can't envision that ever happening.

In fact, Vintage Volkswagen enthusiasts in general are so squeaky tight I personally can't believe any of the forums would have such a thread, Very Happy

From what I read, every vintage VW for sale is either a completely worthless POS rusted hulk with nice patina, or a former completely worthless POS rusted hulk that has been improperly repaired and is now wearing a shiny new coat of paint.
Either way, they all seem to be grossly overpriced according to the forum regulars.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
dsdunbar wrote:
Anyways, over in vanagon samaba land there is a thread for "vans for a great price" but I didnt see something similar here...

You mean something like a Karmann Ghias For A Great Price thread here in the Ghia

In fact, Vintage Volkswagen enthusiasts in general are so squeaky tight I personally can't believe any of the forums would have such a thread, Very Happy

From what I read, every vintage VW for sale is either a completely worthless POS rusted hulk with nice patina, or a former completely worthless POS rusted hulk that has been improperly repaired and is now wearing a shiny new coat of paint.
Either way, they all seem to be grossly overpriced according to the forum regulars.

Best post in long time in these forums.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
dsdunbar wrote:

You mean something like a Karmann Ghias For A Great Price thread here in the Ghia Forum?

Well I think you're pretty lucky the listing got as far as it did as it can be considered against the rules:
Rules wrote:
DON'T post links to active eBay auctions / craigslist ads unless the purpose is to highlight something that is misrepresented/fraudulent OR if you need feedback on a possible purchase. Don't post "check this out," "this is cheap," "just wanted to pass this on," or similar messages, unless you are adding additional discussion. Note: We do allow this is several of the Forum sections here (Vanagon for example) as those people do not mind but in general, it is frowned upon, especially in the Split Bus section.

The thing is if you've picked up on a good deal that most have missed, you're going to be pretty pissed if a Samba Forum suddenly brings attention to it. "Hey that's a real steal...the seller should be asking twice as much!" Suddenly the guy who is near closing the deal finds the owner suddenly wants twice as much. I wonder who gave him that idea.
He could also find himself contesting the bidding with a whole lot more people so put yourself in the place of the buyer who suddenly lost the gem he had lined up. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
dsdunbar wrote:

You mean something like a Karmann Ghias For A Great Price thread here in the Ghia

Best post in long time in these forums.

Very true
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

Split bus forum has a good deals thread. Why don't we have one too?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: good(?) price on Ghia - '69 for $6500? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Vladiiiii wrote:

X2, You beat me to it.

Yeah I think I'm starting to understand why they didn't enjoy the car shows as much as they thought Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: