Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's Grandpa gonna drive?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30120611/buick-regal-dead/

The 2020 Regal is the last sedan. After than it's SUVs only for Buick.

This is a Buick.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And so is this.

But not this:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Can we just merge all of the car threads in Off Topic to one thread? Maybe call it “Old guys bitching about change”?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Ya, they all look pretty much the same now. When I was in high school in the late 60's I remember looking at a car mag. with pictures of the cars of the future...yuk they all looked like long eggs. I thought "no way"...then a few years later the Ford Taurus came out and I remembered that article.

As to "old guys bitching," we only do that cuz we're old enough to remember when things were good or at least unique (except for VW Beetles-they always looked sort of like eggs). Laughing
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Can we just merge all of the car threads in Off Topic to one thread? Maybe call it “Old guys bitching about change”?
I'm 17, I don't like the new cars either. It's not just the old guys complaining. Every car is turning into a crossover or an SUV and they all look the same. It'll never be like it was 50 years ago, and it sucks. Here is an example-

Those are 3 sedans from different manufacturers I just pulled off google. A Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu, and a Dodge Dart. Now I will post pictures of the same 3 cars from 1967, except the Ford which will be a Galaxie.

Look at the styling differences, to me, the new cars just don't have that. They're just too similar. I would bet if you de-badged the new cars, few to none would be able to tell the difference, however with the '67s, you can definitely tell the GM from the Mopar from the Ford.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

I want a luxurious ride, like 70’s real full-size Lincoln continental, Cadillac Deville, olds delta 88. Not a downsized full-size, but a real full size, the true descendants of a Duesenberg or Cadillac of the 30’s. To be honest I think electric is the way to bring back the real American automobile.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Grandpa drives a Camry.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

good idea but the title would be 'the demise of style'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF THE GRASS.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
I'm 17, I don't like the new cars either. It's not just the old guys complaining. Every car is turning into a crossover or an SUV and they all look the same. It'll never be like it was 50 years ago,

Congratulations junior you’re 17 going on 70 you can take your place alongside the grumpy old men. *News Flash* time doesn’t stand still, never did, never will. Concerning styling this has taken a backseat to performance and the wind tunnel to achieve mandated CAFE standards. You should know where this is going, right? Soon to be electric then autonomous self driving cars and how they look will be inconsequential. I’ll be dead by then and you’ll be an older guy then you can really get off on the good old days Very Happy
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Link

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Gonna tell ya - not sure how many are aware of how the car makers positioned various brands back in the day. If GM, you started with a Chevy and as you prospered, you may eventually get to a Cadillac, BUT many folks "made it" when they got to a Buick. This is why you see lots of blue hair peeking over the steering wheel in a Buick.

Not dissing older folks (I aint no spring chicken), but I was TOTALLY bummed when the guitar player in my one band got into Buicks......

And just for the record one of my dream cars is a 65 or so Riviera GS......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Look at the styling differences, to me, the new cars just don't have that. They're just too similar. I would bet if you de-badged the new cars, few to none would be able to tell the difference, however with the '67s, you can definitely tell the GM from the Mopar from the Ford.

I'm going to catch hell for this, but here it goes...
The pictures you posted of the new cars looking pretty similar is fair and accurate. But in exactly the same way, all the old cars look the same as well. I'm willing to bet that if you de-badged the old ones, 9/10 people wouldn't know what was what either.
I'm sure if you were a die-hard fan of those new Darts, you would be offended that someone would suggest it's a Fusion, because you can spot the differences from a mile away.
Just sayin'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

I'm going to catch hell for this, but here it goes...
The pictures you posted of the new cars looking pretty similar is fair and accurate. But in exactly the same way, all the old cars look the same as well. I'm willing to bet that if you de-badged the old ones, 9/10 people wouldn't know what was what either.
I'm sure if you were a die-hard fan of those new Darts, you would be offended that someone would suggest it's a Fusion, because you can spot the differences from a mile away.
Just sayin'.

Not gonna catch hell from me ... I was thinking the same thing. Similar color, same squareish shape, long hood and trunk, hump on the back door blending into the rear quarter, huge chrome bumpers. We could go on. There are way more similarities than differences.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The next thing ya know, a manly man ain't gonna be able to take his "final ride" in a respectable hearse, the way God intended. Crying or Very sad
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Well there’s always the horse drawn funeral wagon, now that’s going full circle. Better yet we lash a few logs together put the dearly departed on cast em out into the water on fire and say goodbye like the Vikings did Very Happy

I had a million dollar idea once but it never caught on. Scrap the traditional metal box casket. Place the body into a giant threaded fastener, it could be bio degradable. Now simply screw the giant fastener into the ground yes you are buried standing up but just think of how much less room you take up. You could have the whole family together in a space not much larger than a dining room table. It’s time to think outside the box Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
The next thing ya know, a manly man ain't gonna be able to take his "final ride" in a respectable hearse, the way God intended. Crying or Very sad

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

Not preaching at you all but I've pretty much resigned myself to this Bible verse becoming truth!

I probably won't be driving anything........ Laughing Laughing

Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

This grandpa drives his Porsche 356's and will until he quits driving. Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Grandpa gonna drive? Reply with quote

my 1st car was a 1981 2 door turd brown buick skylark that was a hand me down from a great uncle to my grandparents to me. ive done my time with Buick so i'm good!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: