Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Rear seat back issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudndeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Hey all, I’m working the interior in my bug. I’m 2d owner and believe this is the original, reupholstered seat. It sits extremely high and don’t know the issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Yeah, agreeing with Bryan67, this looks like a 64-earlier seat, it would look right in a 64 with the windows being smaller, so the seat would line up with the bottom of the window.

Last edited by 1967VWS4LIFE on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

I think that's a 64 and earlier seat back. They are different.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

A great big washer between the seat mount and upolstered side panel should prevent tearing of the upolstery. Add that washer to prevent further tearing.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sudndeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Blue, thanks for the advice. I’ll pick some up to prevent further damage.

Bryan, I thought the same thing too, but all the images of 65+ seats match mine.

4life, it doesn’t look like there’s any holes filled. I’ve found pictures where it matches mine with one washered mounting hole.

Maybe this one is a weird transition model or,I’m just not too smart and doing it wrong. Lol.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

if the mounting points for the seat backs were raised, then the bottom of the seat back would no meet the top of the seat bottom unless the bottom of the seat where also raised.

maybe the issue is simply an over stuffed custom cover?

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sudndeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Mine has the same mounting point as this one. This says it’s a 65 too.

Guess it’s just wonky.

Thanks.
sudndeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Sorry. This one.

DarellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

I also have a 1965 Bug with a rear seat issue. My seat back has about a 4-5" gap between the bottom of the back and the seat cushion. The back also sits up above the window by about the 4" gap. Are there seat backs that are different measurement from the center of the mounting hole to the top of the backrest? HELP, please.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

DarellK wrote:
I also have a 1965 Bug with a rear seat issue. My seat back has about a 4-5" gap between the bottom of the back and the seat cushion. The back also sits up above the window by about the 4" gap. Are there seat backs that are different measurement from the center of the mounting hole to the top of the backrest? HELP, please.

I measured my O.E. '65 seat backrest, the measurement from the center of the pivot hole (mounting bracket) to the top edge of the seatback (just inboard the quarter window) is about 18.5 inches.

The mounting points look like this...
(the distance from that horizontal step (at the bottom of the quarter panel) to the mounting point (weld-nut) is about 4 - 1/4 inches, measured upward at a slight angle from the step to the mounting point).

The brackets look like this one, like less than 2 inches of bracket length before it disappears into the upholstery/padding...

DarellK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear seat back issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bust em. I will go and check the measurements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: