Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

thats a good point!
and i think was exactly what the vanagon diesel wiki outlined as well - though it was unclear from there that it would fit with the stock mounts without interference as he showed modified mounts in his detailed build.

anyway reading through that did prompt me to be on the lookout for an AAZ manifold - i recall there being a more preferable top mount type?
but i was unable to find either style, and it not being clear that it would fit without engine mount modifications tempted me toward just buying the easily available JX stuff and being done with it

im not sure that intake plumbing will really be any worse, as it looks like theres plenty of room for a 90deg bend on the turbo inlet beside the drivers side mount (i got that mounted but no pics yet)

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

ive been doing a pretty bad job keeping this thread sync'd with actual progress, but heres a photo dump/update

the engine build is finished minus some gauge sensors which ill do with the rear-front wiring once the engine is all bolted up.
the engine bay is prepped and ready for the new engine to get installed. who wants to buy the old 1Y setup?? Smile

timing the tdi was pretty entertaining - we had to source an 02a bell housing and hang it for a while to get the flywheel mark all kosher.

i have an airbox idea im trying - using the vancafe subaru swap airbox but shoved over into the pillar another couple inches. based on our measurements with the 1Y it should give enough clearance to the valve cover, and the airbox feels plenty sturdy. i popped some rivnuts into the frame horn to avoid drilling as many holes as the vancafe instructions require - since this early van doesnt seem to have the main hole they feed their bracket through.
the goal was to avoid having to package a giant donaldson filter and this was an easy drop in solution. looking at plumbing i think i can snake a couple of 90deg transition hoses directly up to the airbox from the turbo.

another drop in is the intrepid overland oil cooler kit and the vancafe aluminum coolant tank.
ill rotate the battery on the tray to give the oil cooler some room to breath.
only thing left to package is the awic core, but thatll hang under the rear bench, and ill get that going once the engine is in.

notched the firewall a bit on the exhaust side of the motor to give room for some intake plumbing back to the eventual spot where the awic will live.

also cleaned up a bit of the old diesel heater plumbing and vents once the fuel tank was out. will be reinstalling a new tank since the old one was loaded with a lot of rust and gunk.

hoping to have the engine mounted and all the big bits located and hanging where they need to before the end of the month, so far looking on track. clock is ticking until memorial day camping, trying my best to stay on track hah

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

got the engine and trans back in last night - will have pictures later this week - but can confirm theres an abundance of space with the vancafe airbox tucked in as shown in the pics.

might be a good option for those looking to skip packaging a donaldson as its pretty much plug and play.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

couple more pictures for anyone who might run across this in the archives Smile

hope to have the intake and coolant plumbing wrapped within a week or so. need to start switching gears to wiring - and doing the fore-aft wiring bundles - soon. lots to do on the dash as well once the engine starts to get closer

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

nice update(s)! Cool
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

I like the intercooler placement. I have the same one and don't really like how it's mounted-just in the way at the moment. Since I have a Bus, and the gas tank is there, I don't think I can do the exact same placement, but it's got the idea juices flowing in my head.

Curious what that extra nipple you've added is for?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

thanks!

its a tough call, i dont know if i would go any smaller on the core, but this thing is still pretty bulky (frozenboost type 9).
shopmate is building an ahu syncro that we'll have to find a way to package the awic on, and he'll have similar issues as you for locations. i really like the way boxeer does his engine mounted ones but with the VE pump in the way i didnt see any way to make that work.

i suppose one option is putting the awic in the drivers side rear pillar, then the fresh air intake on the other side. but it could still be a tight squeeze getting this thing in the pillar

that extra port is the boost sensor for gauges up front

also speaking of packaging - really happy with the way the RMW airbox fits, i have it in its final location now. but looks like the engine will need to drop a couple inches on the drivers side to pull it out for service. not the end of the world, but something that could easily be overcome if they redesigned it to be just a hair shorter so the halves could split in place. and it looks like theres room to do that with the way its designed.
maybe some day theyll come out with a version two thats more universally applicable!

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

Where did you get the temp sensor/switch installed in the intercooler? I need to re-do the temp switches for my coolant pump and fans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

the gauge stack up front will be two 4" speed hut gauges to replace all of the stock vanagon stuff.
then two more gauges in the ash tray - a speedhut egt gauge, and a glowshift boost + oil temp gauge.

that boost probe came with the glowshift gauge, along with a temp probe.

that intercooler had plenty of meat on the end tank for drilling/tapping, but im not sure if youre using that same setup

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

mostly visually uninteresting updates the last couple weeks -

fuel tank is back in and plumbed - need to finish installing the filler neck but the hard work is done
cooling system is buttoned up
engine side fuel lines are done - new tygon lines and spiral wrap for abrasion
heavy cables are done and battery is mounted
oil cooler is plumbed
gauge sensors all mounted

chipping away at the engine wiring harness now. got the chassis side cleaned up after pulling the old glow plug relay and rear chassis harness junction box. all pared down to two connectors now and stubbed what wont be needed in the harness

before we reinstalled the gas tank i finished my 3 new front/rear harness runs that will bring gauge and warning light signals to the dash area and send some power and various things back to the engine bay.

i figured out a location for the ecu and couple of relays just behind my secondary battery and am probably about half way through getting that all redone.
new harness will have one main power relay (replacement for the factory J317 relay), reuse the factory tdi GP relay, and im adding one "engine on" relay that will run the shutoff valve and the AWIC pump. should be a pretty simple system with minimal overlap to the stock chassis harness so its fairly isolated.
itll be a bit of work to finish the engine harness as it needs to be laid out with the relays, then mocked up and adjusted for length, then pulled out and rewrapped. will be worth it though!

once thats done i can install the AWIC and finish intake plumbing so the engine harness will run just about the AWIC

early days of cooling system mock up

more or less what itll look like from now on since the engine wiring is minimally visible

progress shot of the engine bay end of the front/rear harnesses

gas tank reinstall was a lot easier on the lift with the tranny jack!
we had to do it a couple times to make sure it all got seated properly.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

couple more pics, progressing along pretty well...

happy with how the modified harness turned out and all the rear end wiring is wrapped up and in place. not much going on in the engine harness when you get rid of most of the emissions actuators hah

now we're moving onto some fab work where my job is mostly going to be measuring things, ordering parts, staying out of the way and taking pictures Smile

mk4 TPS pedal brackets built for both vans (other is a syncro tintop soon to be tdi powered pop top getting a built AHU)

should be some good progress and pics from this weekend.

pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

Thanks to Tristar Eric for the tdi pedal bracket diagrams on here. Estimating angles from his photos put the bracket angle at 110 degrees.

I made these 2cm taller to not have to trim the pedal so aggressively but still be able to hit 100% pedal position. Hopefully the foot positioning is still ok.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
Thanks to Tristar Eric for the tdi pedal bracket diagrams on here. Estimating angles from his photos put the bracket angle at 110 degrees.

I made these 2cm taller to not have to trim the pedal so aggressively but still be able to hit 100% pedal position. Hopefully the foot positioning is still ok.

x2 that took a lot of the guesswork out of building the pedal bracket

exhaust work is done, really happy with how it all came out, and with the two flex joints where they are it can be removed pretty easily without having to undo the isolator mounts to the engine. we were worried initially there wouldnt be enough wiggle room to slide the mounting points off, but it worked out!

also found a stock JX turbo brace and built out the turbo flange to bolt to that, so everything should be braced up like stock now....

still need to pull it all one last time and do some painting and cleaning up on the brace and the exhaust mounts. really really happy with how it came out, the tip is also a really subtle turn down

onto the intake pile this weekend...

and need to finish the lid notch.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

also thought id mention for anyone stumbling across this in the future, im using this muffler, for lack of baffling to clog with soot
moroso spiral flow
and the whole system is 2.5"

will post an idling video for posterity when we get there... since im talking to myself Laughing

Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - finally! Reply with quote

I see you've used the oil pan for the turbo oil drain. I have the option but haven't yet done so. Do you know what the thread size is at the pan? It'd be nice to get the parts so I can make that change at my next oil change.

Thanks!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

i used p/n 871608 from anplumbing.com
its a -8 to 16 x 1.5 adapter

Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i used p/n 871608 from anplumbing.com
its a -8 to 16 x 1.5 adapter

Awesome, thank you!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
since im talking to myself Laughing

not at all! just not much for anyone to bicker about (ahem.. I mean discuss technicalities in detail. no offense y'all). mundane topics will go pages and pages and pages while great threads can get few or no comments. I'm sure lots of lurkers are following along and are appreciating the build. please, keep posting! pretty sure I've followed more than a few of your projects on vortex and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Exhaust looks great.

Do you need to notch the engine cover? I know it's necessary on mTDI, but my AHU on the same engine carriers didn't need to be notched. Either way, you got the cover plate made and it looks perfect.

Another reason the cruise is nice is because of the DBW pedal angle, but you get used to it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

I agree, I am enjoying following along.

(But, I do recall thinking similar things in my build thread!)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

I just came across this thread, what a beautiful conversion, and attention to detail. I would love to weld like that.

I'm glad you used the Audi coolant flange between the injectors. I posted the part number a few times on the internet but it seems like non Europeans are still capping the nipple instead of replacing the coolant flange.

Everything is so clean, I would just mention you should buy the $15 each, Inconel turbo bolts from VW. The day you take them off, you will be glad you did Wink

Aloha and keep posting !
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: