Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

i think in order to really set yourself up for that situation youd have to be both drawing the can vent back into the turbo suction side, and have the drain connected to the block without a check valve.

ive got the valve in, and am venting the can to atmosphere, so should be doubly safe Laughing

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Venting to atmosphere would prevent the runaway situation although it's somewhat environmentally irresponsible and will make your engine more prone to oil leaks. Without a check valve you could get oil puking out the vent to atmosphere due to crankcase pressure but with the check valve, that shouldn't happen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Can these check valves be ordered separately of the Provent?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

definitely!

i got all of my stuff here:
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/

2400843621 is the part number for the check valve
3931070792 is the provent 100 flavor i ordered (theres a couple different versions depending on whether youre venting to atmosphere, you want a relief valve, etc)

edit looks like idparts, and i bet some of the other usual suspects for tdi parts, have the check valve
https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-check-valve-2400843621-p-2436.html

that diesel filters place is one of the few state side places i found that stocked the provent 100 and i ended up ordering everything from them.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey thanks!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

well, it started!

Link

like a dumb dumb i hooked the obd port battery power pin to the defrost switch, whoops...
so it took a few minutes to figure out why all the relays clicked and kicked on like they were supposed to, but vcds wasnt talking. once that was fixed all was pretty smooth sailing.
all the sensor readings work, the mk4 tps is reading fine.
it has a code for lack of a MIL and the alternator isnt charging, but all to be expected since there arent any center stack LEDs yet.

only bad news is some oil drips near the turbine side bearing heatshield. i have a hunch this might be related to the oil level and the forward pitch i had the van on to burp the cooling system.
now that the oil system is primed, im going to recheck/adjust the oil level and try again on flat ground.

it still needs... a bunch of stuff Laughing before its driving, but it was really nice to hear it fire up and to see all the gauges working.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

looks like it was an oil level issue.
will need to confirm the dipstick markings and final fill quantity again after we fully heat cycle it and fill up the oil cooler circuit, but dropping the oil level a bit this morning and the turbo is happy

edit - and to that end, the number i was shooting for was ~4.5qt in the pan, its tough to find the published capacity for the diesel pan so im assuming one of you folks knows

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

last build update, i think...

dash is all wrapped up, and we had our first part casualty already Laughing

its been around the block and has done a fair bit of idling so far, spent time getting the pump timing dialed in, and burping the awic circuit and main coolant loop.

this sweet plastic bonded one piece block breather separated after not much run time and only a couple heat cycles. bummer! but easily replaced... only thing i can think is it was a crap part to start with and/or it got tweaked somehow during swinging the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wrapped up underdash area, obd port and the powdercoated tps bracket.

and finally the dash build.
i used the cracked and kind of messed up cluster frame that the van came with as practice on how to clearance appropriately for the speedhut gauges to be mounted on new frames up near the front.
kourt had a really slick install with them recessed into the original mounting near the rear of the frame but i wanted to use the spin rings and bezels they came with so thought id try this.
using some scrap abs i had it took a few tries to get the right fit with all the curves going on here but im happy with how they came out. jb weld plastic epoxy holds it all together and feels pretty darn sturdy. the frame didnt seem to lose any rigidity with the clearancing needed to accommodate the spin rings.

finally the new center stack LEDs with the smallcar logo panel that has a glowplug and MIL on the bottom row.

so far in the bit of driving its seen, no issues with the speedhut fuel level, including some intentional swerving to induce slosh... but ill update after its been on the road a bit. even in that situation id hardly call it so noisy its unreadable, as others have posted.

hope to have the next update include a driving video... and some shots of it actually getting used Laughing

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

this sweet plastic bonded one piece block breather separated after not much run time and only a couple heat cycles. bummer! but easily replaced... only thing i can think is it was a crap part to start with and/or it got tweaked somehow during swinging the engine.

Mine broke as well. The after market parts for this are absolute junk. My second engine had the original part which is so so much better. It actually has a disconnect there. I'll see if I can take a picture for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

i remember the old style one i tossed, it looked like more places for it to leak, but it was also likely the original one the block came with.

were you able to find a source for a new unit thats the two piece?

i was pretty careful putting the second new one in there so as to not tweak that connection. it looks like a really weak spot though!

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i remember the old style one i tossed, it looked like more places for it to leak, but it was also likely the original one the block came with.

were you able to find a source for a new unit thats the two piece?

i was pretty careful putting the second new one in there so as to not tweak that connection. it looks like a really weak spot though!

Mine aftermarket broke just looking at it. I tried fixing it a few times but it never stayed. I ended up having to replace the entire engine for another reason and the next engine had the better(IMO) part. The part number stamped on the tube is 028103485B

For those who may be curious this is what the part I'm referring to looks like at the attachment point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

about 15 miles of driving around town and various cold starts on it, and am really happy with the performance.
3rd gear pulls feel really strong, and so far no leaks from the replaced block breather Smile

i havent had a chance to take it on the highway yet, will probably give it another once over later this week before venturing out of town.

and we'll need to remake the dipstick to just touch the bottom of the pan, i think its a little too short now and only registers about a gallon of oil on just the very tip.

minor tweaks though... its really incredible having a van that accelerates up hill Laughing

will get some driving video in the next week or so

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

to bring this around to a conclusion, a couple of driving videos....

the exhaust sound is a bit tricky to capture since theres a fair bit of road noise, and the window im sticking the gopro to rattles a little when its cracked open to let the exhaust noises in.

on the upside, theres bonus footage of the side of my greeezy head Very Happy

quick launch and couple gear shifts

Link

and for those of you familiar with the area, a little clip running up hill northbound on chuckanut, right after the hairpin bridge

Link

not shown in the videos - all the black smoke Laughing

will keep driving as is but might consider stepping to a less aggressive tune to lessen the smoke under power a bit.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Cool.

I might have missed it but are you running an EGT gauge?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

i am, the two ashtray gauges are an egt on the left side and a pressure + temp gauge on the right. im using the temp part for oil temp, and the pressure for boost
not a big fan of digital boost gauges, or digital gauges in general, but was the easiest/cheapest way to pack those two together.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Nice build. Sounds badass.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

Out curiosity what are your EGTs cruising at 65 or 70?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

I haven't done much cruising at 70 but 60-65 I want to say it's sitting around 8-10psi and in the 600-800 def F range.
It cruises comfortably around 60-65 but things get kinda buzzy around 70. With some slightly larger tires - on the list in a month or so - it might stay in a more comfortable rpm band at 70.

speaking of cruising speeds.... I'm going back and forth on whether the poly trans mount is a good idea for the diesel, as it seems to transmit a decent bit of nvh above 2000 rpm. My intercooler might also be moving a little and making noise, so there's still some more hunting to be done there...

Anyways, I haven't paid super close attention to the EGTs other than full throttle making sure I'm not spiking about 1400 or so at full tilt (which it appears not to)

Longer answer than you wanted hah

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

coming back around to this with some post-shakedown updates

its got ~800 miles now on the swap, lots of local driving a couple camping trips including trip up and over some passes here in WA where it got a pretty serious workout.

i was fighting leaking injectors (leaking at the nozzle lock nut) and took all four back to the local rebuilders to get lapped and retightened. that fixed all but #3, which i took out and manually tightened a bit further to 80ftlb based on some searching on tdiclub. no bubbles, so it wasnt the (brand new) copper washers, and it wasnt coming out of the soft return hoses.
that seems to have gotten it fixed. it wasnt a major leak but after a couple hundred miles it would get wet at the base of the injector.

the other big followup thing, that ive posted elsewhere, is updating the speedhut quad gauge.
things would get a bit noisy under around a quarter tank.
they updated the filter, covering shipping both ways, it now takes ~10 minutes for the gauge to make a full sweep. this seems to be enough to make the needle stable during everything ive thrown at it so far.
really happy with the gauges now.

i also reprogrammed the tach for 2 pulses per rev ( it was previously 4) so now its not showing 1/2 of actual speed Smile

also put on some slightly larger tires. its helped the gearing around town as 3rd gear is a bit more comfortable at all in town speeds, but things still get buzzy >55 on the highway.

rethinking the gearing will be on the list likely for next season

i will come back and update the thread periodically if anything interesting comes up

appreciate the collective knowledge in helping get this thing together!

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1Z TDI Westy - Build Thread Reply with quote

one more update for anyone running into this in the future -

i was previously running 15-40 rotella and would get some weeping or moistness around the oil return flange when cold running and the oil level was around 4qt.

i just changed the oil last weekend to 5-40 rotella, and wallowed out the turbo-side of the drain flange to have much less of a sharp edge, especially on the side that sits on the bottom, where oil might slow a bit coming out of the turbo.
one of those two things, probably mostly the weight change, seems to have cleared that all up.

no other complaints/updates though. love the way it drives!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: