Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Hey -- I've got new injectors from fellow Samba Marco and I'll be installing them this weekend.

Any tips -- something I should know?

For my 1.9.

Thanks -
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Put some oil on the seals, where they enter the heads.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

there is a single bolt that uses a 10mm socket that holds the injector pair in. DO NOT break that bolt off! it snaps very easy so if it is not coming out, soak with penetrating oil, tap it a 100 times with a hammer, tighten slightly or loosen trying to get some free movement. take your time to get it out if it is stubborn.

Marco's injectors use a 2 small diameter seal stacked ontop of each other. be sure to keep that configuration. also, you may want to bend a slight bow in the injector retainer held in by above bolt. this puts more down pressure on the large injector rubber ring to hold them in tighter.

examine your fuel rails and don't break the plastic nipples off... just twist the old lines loose and slice them if they don't easily pull off. use non-serrated fuel line clamps like ABA, don't use the cheese-cutter clamps that extrude rubber thru the slots.

it'd be great if you could pulse your fuel pump once the old injectors are off to rinse out the fuel rail. can't have your head up your ass when you do that so if several safety precautions don't come to mind, don't try it.

CHECK FOR LEAKS when you are done.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Go gently with that little bolt - some PBlaster might be a good idea for an overnight soak.

I've never broken one but it can happen - perhaps by now you have an idea how cooperative or stubborn the old bolts are on your particular van.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Go gently with that little bolt - some PBlaster might be a good idea for an overnight soak.

I've never broken one but it can happen - perhaps by now you have an idea how cooperative or stubborn the old bolts are on your particular van.

i broke one. successfully drilled it out and was using a tap to clean up the threads... knocked the intake manifold off the bench with the tap still in it and THAT broke off. comedy of errors. tap still in it.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help... I'll be gentle!

Any other tips are appreciated -- how do the electric connections come off? Pry off the metal 'band?'
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

NO! squeeze the metal band downward toward the plastic and it release

www.thefixitworkshop.com
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

While you are manipulating the injector wiring connectors, keep track of the seals inside...

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Thread about injectors.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637701

djkeev wrote:
Don,t go forcing those connectors off, you'll simply break some plastic that is intended to keep them from falling off.

Here's the injectors.... The side bumps retain the connector, the top bump aligns the connector, only goes on one way........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the injector plug. See the metal piece? The metal on the sides clip over the side bumps on the injector holding it securely on.

When you depress the long metal wire it pushes the sides clear of the injector bumps and it pulls off easily......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

My 83 1/2 has the earlier style plugs that are a PITA to get off. You can use a dental pick or small screwdriver to get under one side of the retaining spring and pries it out of its groove. You shouldn't have to do both sides of the retainer spring just the one. While the injectors were out on the bench, I went through and lightly filed the edges of the squarish clips on the injectors where the spring grab to create a slight ram, so that now I can just wiggle the plugs off without messing with the spring.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Don't use oil on the seals when installing unless you have specific O ring grease that will not attack that seal. General advice is to use a rub of gasoline to lube it. When pressing the injectors into the intake, the hole has an unduly sharp machined edge. So as you're pushing down, swivel the top of the injector in a small circle like its a child's toy top nearly falling over. That will relieve pressure letting the rubber inch its way down into the hole vs trying to carve a chunk out of the rubber if its caught on the edge.

Good advice on pumping a bit out of the open hoses, and the safety comments.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing WBX injectors -- Tips? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone -- I didn't get them done yet, but these tips will all be useful this week when I do and I'll report back with anything that is worth adding.

Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: