Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

just received my Tank from Van Cafe, bought with the 10% off from their recent sale. i just have to post some photos of this piece of beautiful industrial art.

first, the whole assemblege is really well executed. the welds are gorgeous with penetration to the interior, thread locker/sealant used on the fittings, every single aspect of this meets Phaedrus' concept of Quality.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

some particulars... notice the cap neck. it ain't your typical radiator stamped sheet metal. it is solid aluminum. welded on the inside.

then there's the curves, oh those voluptuous radiused curves. this wasn't done by a hack with a sheet metal brake set for crisp 90 degree bends on 22 ga. thought was put into clearance to allow the aluminum to bend on it's own will without cracking. fittings are, well, fit for race duty.

and lastly, the Tank is signed sealed and serialed! a friggin serial number on the tank, engraved by hand. gotta love it. and oh yeah, those brackets should hold, eh?

i'm a cheap SOB. killed me to spend this much on a $17 tank. but it is so robust, well made, beautifully crafted that it actually makes me happy. it was worth the considerable cost. congrats RMW, ya did good.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
this piece of beautiful industrial art.

It is indeed. Their welder is a master.👍 Their coolant tower, which I just got through installing last week, is also quite pretty. Very Happy

Other "The Tank" topics:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696554
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725127

Edit:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Great pics and review. This is typical of my experience with RMW (with their bumpers and swing-outs). The bumpers are solid, but their effort shines through on more complex things like the swing-outs. They are expensive but I’m beyond satisfied after using them for two years. I only wish they expanded their offering. Perhaps a kit to add over-the-transmission and in-floor storage, a high-top roof rack, etc. (but I’ve already bolted too much stuff on).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

I had the same thoughts when I installed mine!

I only wish they added two more fittings for a visible level indicator......... but one adjusts, especially if you trust the low level switch.

Me? I took the cap off every morning while traveling on my daily pre-flight inspection..........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

That's indeed industrial art - beautiful. I also installed one of their coolant towers years ago and it met the same high standards.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

prior to receiving it, i was fretting about the fit of the Stant cap thinking that was one good thing about the Blau, well other than it blowing off unexpectedly... so many twist caps just mush onto their flanges, maybe catching the plastic or brass neck or maybe not. this baby just turns and locks. done.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
it is solid aluminum
“Billet metal” is the appropriate term.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
it is solid aluminum
“Billet metal” is the appropriate term.

right. i always appreciate the correct term. it lead me down the rabbit hole of billet, cast, forged, etc. i see machining marks and so billet it is!
https://info.cpm-industries.com/blog/bid/283266/Cast-vs-Billet

www.thefixitworkshop.com
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Next you'll be expounding about the merits and wonders of the fuel expansion tanks: https://www.vancafe.com/251201303C-ALUM-p/251201303c-alum.htm . Very Happy

I've already got the stainless coolant tower -- after a brand new nylon one lasted 2 seconds before leaking -- and added that rock solid Tank as well. Beautiful works of art!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Congratulations, you also got the updated level sensor with your tank.
The earlier version was prone to seeping coolant through its plastic body/ nut at the top( I changed mine out recently for this, and then discovered other Vanagon owners had run into it as well.)
The new version should stop that issue.
I got used to my Tank not being see-through really quick, just use the expansion /over flow tank as your visual cue.
The cap that ships with the Tank works very well at moving fluid back and forth like the stock set-up does in the siphon effect out of the overflow tank.
I also like how a regular coolant pressure tester is going to fit the Tank with no adapter needed.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

As pretty as it is i would have it painted, coated or anodized to protect it, raw aluminum corrodes.
Do they coat it with clear of some kind?
Their work does look top notch.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Do they sell the updated low level sensor on its own? I’ve got an older one that I’d like to upgrade to the new sensor.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Weezyissuperfast wrote:
Do they sell the updated low level sensor on its own? I’ve got an older one that I’d like to upgrade to the new sensor.

https://www.vancafe.com/025121403ALUMSENS-p/rmw-alts.htm

I carry a spare one since they aren't exactly easy to find on the road. I've got a spare cap as well -- but those are fairly common at FLAPS.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thanks!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Oh f*ck - now I want one!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

I almost bought one the other day.

But it's so pretty it'd take all I got to avoid an engine rebuild to properly complement it. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

No! The RMW tank is to help your ugly tired engine stay running without a rebuild.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Haha, Ayep.

We may have one sooner than later since a shop used a German coolant after flushing, which we couldn't ever find again and had to top off with VW/Audi coolant when swapping the radiator.

Coolant is likely fine but ugly enough we may do another flush to pure VW coolant -- perfect time to add the new tank. I suspect mixing coolant is not optimum.

— Colin Chapman
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I almost bought one the other day.

But it's so pretty it'd take all I got to avoid an engine rebuild to properly complement it. Laughing

Well, you could always do it the other way around: Rebuild first and add the tank on at the end like so:

I finally gave up on plastic and nylon when there was a stronger alternative.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Too obvious. Wink

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: