Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Has anyone with a WBX tried to neck down the coolant lines and run a regular VAG volleyball tank as found in the Mk3/4 cars?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The coolant tank you show here is a fine device for the plumbing in those cars. Problem with it in a Vanagon is that the coolant really flows a lot of volume through the original style tank (and of course 'The Tank' too), so you would have to design around that flow issue with the proposed use of that newer style tank. Yes, it would be do-able, but a good brain teaser, for sure.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

I think it's worthy of experimentation, and if I still had a WBX I'd step up to the challenge. The level sensor works with the Vanagon cluster

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Using the overflow as a system level indicator is not a reliable way.

I agree!

The level-glass tube seems too good to be true. And, not that I am a real pessimist, but have you seen what a belt can do in the engine when it comes flying off? Seems like keeping it as simple as possible is best. Also, just because the original is translucent, I still have to take off the overflow line and open the expansion tank to be SURE that it is full, as I can't distinguish the level very well, even with the help of a flashlight behind the tank. Thus, What would the difference be between my present 'gotta actually look in there' and a looking glass? About 15 seconds each time, I guess. Still got to take off the engine cover, etc, and open the top of whatever it is, being that I would fear the addition of the level-glass suggested above.

Fewest points of failure possible, imho.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Agreed.

Problem is, though, the theory eliminates the entire van. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think it's worthy of experimentation, and if I still had a WBX I'd step up to the challenge. The level sensor works with the Vanagon cluster

I am guessing there is a hose from some other application that would contain that flow, and T off for the later model tank. The issue would be one of how much time finding that part take?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
tjet wrote:

Using the overflow as a system level indicator is not a reliable way.

I agree!

The level-glass tube seems too good to be true. And, not that I am a real pessimist, but have you seen what a belt can do in the engine when it comes flying off? Seems like keeping it as simple as possible is best. Also, just because the original is translucent, I still have to take off the overflow line and open the expansion tank to be SURE that it is full, as I can't distinguish the level very well, even with the help of a flashlight behind the tank. Thus, What would the difference be between my present 'gotta actually look in there' and a looking glass? About 15 seconds each time, I guess. Still got to take off the engine cover, etc, and open the top of whatever it is, being that I would fear the addition of the level-glass suggested above.

The VC/RMW tank doesn’t need any line removed from a cap, unlike a stock set-up. I like the no stress factor from needing to add Coolant and worrying that you are about to break the hose or nipple on the tank from trying to take the cap off.... Razz is
So, quick flip of the standard release cap, turn, and you see the level. No sight glass to leak either or break. So far, the ‘fill’ correlation between my Tank and Overflow tank has been spot on and accurate.

It will be interesting to see how the GoWesty version tank sells and holds up over time .
It IS frustrating however that once again it’s a ‘86 and later part, unlike VC’s offering of multiple years/engine types.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Begging a relevant question...

When full-cold, I've always been able to simply remove the blue cap without level change. Last time I did, the system sucked a lot of air in, like still under vacuum.

Anyone know why?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Begging a relevant question...

When full-cold, I've always been able to simply remove the blue cap without level change. Last time I did, the system sucked a lot of air in, like still under vacuum.

Anyone know why?
. Did the level drop after the whoosh( highly technical term.. Wink )
Or stay where you expected?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Level dropped big time. Spent the next couple heat cycles venting air from the rad, then the apparent displacement emptied the overflow...

Fear is two-fold:
-- air in the system by whatever means formed a vacuum even when cold
-- air came from head gasket leak to begin with....

We've adopted parking as the best escape from realizing Truth. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the blue cap was not properly allowing the coolant from the overflow tank to be sucked back into the pressure tank....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Exactly my first thought, Dave.

The same thing's happened with two caps; the second brand-new, and both ordered together -- thus likely from the same production run. The overflow tank did empty with the second cap, so now I await more testing once we get back to some road miles...

Thanks Man.

— Colin Chapman
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
So far, the ‘fill’ correlation between my Tank and Overflow tank has been spot on and accurate.

Mines that way too, has been for years with a stock plastic tank and Blau p-cap. Since the p-cap is easily the most often faulty component among the OEM parts, yet it's the norm that that aspect of the system works reliably as designed, switching to an industry-standard and highly dependable Stant p-cap will only increase reliability of this aspect of the cooling system. Since I can already rely on the level in my overflow tank as an indicator of system level, my reliance on it with the RMW tank and Stant p-cap would only increase. And it's already really reliable.

I don't have one yet, but it's high on my list when I have cash to spend. I just don't these days. I'm running on a replacement plastic tank after running thru my stock of a few OEM ones (which all developed the exact same age-related crack on the underside) and it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Tencentlife wrote:
"Winner of most incoherent and useless rant of the week, posted from inside a rotting log."

Tencent , you are right . Except it was more a rotting cactus.
It was a stupid ill-informed late night drunk post . Made after several days of rough traveling in my vanagon getting down here to Arizona.
I wish to apologize to you , RMW, Kamz and anyone else I offended with my blunt dumb overreactioned post.
I realize both Vanistan and RMW do great stuff for vanagons and their owners.
Again my apologies.
I’ll take my place now, humbly on the back of the group W bench.
Tim
87 Westy
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

It happens, Tim. Class finish regardless.

— Colin Chapman
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

I didn't want to presume, Tim, but I did take note of the late hour of your posting, and thought of our old friend Benny H., whose best work was also done after midnight.

Agreed, class finish.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gestatin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

Vashon:

He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?" and I said, "litterin'"

And they all moved away from me on the bench there, with the hairy eyeball
And all kinds of mean, nasty things, till I said,

"And creatin' a nuisance"

And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the
Bench talkin' about crime, mother-*%$*&, father-*&*^$$^ and all kinds
Of groovy things that we was talkin' about on the bench, and everything was fine...

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

God Dang, we need to camp together. Laughing

Idea Arrow Cool

— Colin Chapman
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
In Van Cafe's latest email

Quote:
Next we upgraded to a composite sensor which lasted far longer (years) than the original but after four plus years on the road we received a couple reports of slight weeping.

Timely thread bump. ^That sensor did more than seep arriving home from Christmas camping. Saw VC out of stock, so pulled the sensor Monday to R&R the sealant only to have this happen:

Mad 🤬

VC, thankfully, had the new metal sensors back in stock and shipped one out ASAP.❤

Anyone with the original plastic-threaded sensor should have a metal one ready to install... just in case.

I am going to replace the sensor this weekend. Did the plastic one come out in one piece and fall apart or did you have to extract the threaded portion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I am going to replace the sensor this weekend. Did the plastic one come out in one piece and fall apart or did you have to extract the threaded portion?

It initially came out in one piece.

It broke while reinstalling, which then required extraction of the threaded part using lock ring pliers I bought for my Cabriolet's trans flange.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy "The Tank" Reply with quote

I went ahead and did the swap, glad it came out in one piece! I installed it in December of 2015.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: