Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exposed wires at wiper motor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

Anyone run into this? And if so, how hard to replace the wires that (I assume) run to the brushes?

Me and the eldest child were driving to the coffee shop in Seal Beach this morning. It started to sprinkle and I turned on the wipers. They worked for three minutes, then stopped. Blew the 15 circuit fuse which feeds several accessories!

We ended up having coffee. Then we drove back home and I went to work. Found the two wires coming out of the motor cover exposed. They were not like that several months ago, THAT I noticed. But sometimes I have tunnel vision.

Anyways, anybody changed these wires out, or is there a rebuilder out there. I am just being lazy. I will most likely remove and rewire the motor, but was interested in knowing if someone else successfully accomplished this task?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

Jimbo - there's a seller on thesamba called "wiper guy". He rebuilds wiper motors and assemblies like Tim does carbs. In other words, you get basically a new wiper motor ready to go, no issues. I bought one from him for my '74 2+ years ago, worth every penny.

Víctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

That's some rough looking soldering, this pic from the gallery shows how it should look:

I wonder if you could get away with detaching each wire and sliding some heat shrink or vinyl tubing down it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jimbo - there's a seller on thesamba called "wiper guy". He rebuilds wiper motors and assemblies like Tim does carbs. In other words, you get basically a new wiper motor ready to go, no issues. I bought one from him for my '74 2+ years ago, worth every penny.

Víctor

Thank you Victor. I figured there was someone rebuilding these units. But, I am going to try repairing it myself before I go that route. I just never have went any further than removing and replacing, so was curious what the overall opinion of the community was.

I actually did a search on the subject but found no useful information regarding the exact variables.

I will continue to keep this all updated as I work through it. Maybe I will do a wiper motor refresh thread, with new brush wires installed!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That's some rough looking soldering, this pic from the gallery shows how it should look:

I wonder if you could get away with detaching each wire and sliding some heat shrink or vinyl tubing down it?

That’s what I was thinking. It looked as if a previous PO had soldered the wires. But I could not remember exactly. Been too long since I had to actually look at the wiper motor itself! Funny how things you stop doing, get fuzzy.

The heat shrink idea sounds good. I am just fearful that those wires may have a similar issue at the interior of the motor, so was really wondering if anyone knew for sure before I go removing the motor. That’s a load of work that I do not want to do twice.

Thanks for the idea!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

In case the repair doesn't go as planned...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1086158

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
In case the repair doesn't go as planned...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1086158

Thank you Victor!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

If you don't want to disturb the wires but want to cover the bare copper, liquid tape may be an option. Its like liquid electricians tape.
Marion, Iowa
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

I agree. If you're worried about water shorting those wires, I'd use liquid tape too. They make it in brushable and spray.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
I agree. If you're worried about water shorting those wires, I'd use liquid tape too. They make it in brushable and spray.

Just my 2C's - here. I had used liquid tape on the crimps of my horn wires a couple of years back and found in recently trouble shooting recurring horn problems, that the liquid tape had run thru the wire before curing, in such a way as to individually insulate each strand of the horn's hot wire, for close to 1/2" back from the crimp. YMMV but I'd go w/out liquid tape for the repair.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

That's interesting. I've used it quite a bit and I've never run into that problem.

Mark Twain

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

of course the over heat could have caused the solder to melt. maybe?

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

of course the over heat could have caused the solder to melt. maybe?

Bug On!

Thank you! I was so wrapped up in fixing the wires, I did not add up the two visible byproducts of what took place!

Motor is coming out. I will rewire it and internally rebuild it! Thank you!

This is why I posted it up. It was a situation I have never seen before. We get rain, maybe four times a year! Not very common to work or to overhaul this system or its components.

Again, thank you for those 12 words!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely looks like it shorted somewhere — one or both of those two wires are normally hot w/ the ignition on, I think.

I tore apart, cleaned, and relubed both the gearbox and motor on mine a while back. It’s a bit finicky on couple points (especially w/ the 3 brushes for the motor, when reassembling everything), but certainly doable if you take your time & work carefully. Mine runs much faster and stronger now.

Also, make sure to check the base of the main drive gear (for the wiper arms — it’s some sort of white nylon, or similar polymer I think) closely for cracks before reusing —they’re supposedly prone to that sort of thing there.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:

If you're worried about water shorting those wires, you should probably fix whatever water entry issue you have.
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Exposed wires at wiper motor Reply with quote

Agree.

Mark Twain

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: