Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

This thing is going to go to scrap, and I don't want to see that. I have no interest but wanted to volley to you guys.

So, for years there has been a dive bar that has been attempted to be shut down. The owner, Terry, is a VW fanatic. He has a baja beetle and another beetle he was servicing. Terry got hit with some serious medical issues in the middle of an electric conversion on his (one owner) 1984 Vanagon. The last time the van was on the road was 1997 and it has 97k on the clock.

Weeks after a full motor rebuilt, the van was hit by coastal floodwaters in Hurricane Sandy. So alas, Terry with his inventive mind decided to do an electric conversion on it.

He sourced the motor, had his engineers make an adapter plate, sourced the ECM and throttle electronics. He finally had everything sourced minus the battery when he got sick.

His friend Chris and I got together and looked at the project, Terry was trying to recoup his costs as he just sold his business and needs to liquidate the lot this week! I am taking on a house project and can't find the space for this one. Terry now just doesn't want to see everything get scraped. If I had a lot in the mountains it would be the perfect "Van Life" experience Airbnb.

The van as a parts van is a great candidate. The electric motor is a unique project for someone with the skills and time. If I was retired I'd consider it.

I wanted to post before a van heads to the junk yard and Terry's dream too. This is not a sales ad so I won't put any numbers and you might even be able to get everything for free just to save the project.

Feel free to PM me for details.

Chris's number is - 201-455-1938

I know the electronics alone cost a bundle

Last edited by Marshj on Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vehicle Reply with quote

Where Terry's Van has sat for 20 years... true lot find ( we Don't have Barns in the city lol )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vehicle Reply with quote

Electronic Components
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

I’m in JC too, if anyone wants to get together and figure something out let me know!

Also, I’m always keeping an eye out for local storage for my vanagon, storing it out of town means less time to play.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Agreed on the local storage challenge. I know you keep yours about 40 minutes away like me. Terry's lot would have been perfect, but he is officially out this week ;-(

We need to find someone else with a surface lot or warehouse where we can get some work in on these. Or even find a garage bay to rotate between when people have projects to do.. let's think on it.

I will keep you updated what I hear from Chris on what's going on with the van and the beetles. Wish I had the space to save these and get them moving in the right direction to a good home for restoration

Jeff
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Good luck with sale/ resolution

The composition of the photos will sell, the placement of the bins suggests the urban chic, while the fence in the back emotes the trapped in the city motive.

A black cat crossing in front would be perfect.

Sorry to hear about Terry’s medical, good luck with that, Sir

Someday .....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Hmmm

While I’m not far away, I am half heartedly seeking a Van and I do have space..... the electric portion is WAY over my head!

For free with a title, I could be enticed to go get it. I do have the Vanagon tow bar I made.......

Hmmmmm..........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

2200 rpm is way too slow of a motor for the stock trans gear setup.
Of coarse assuming the transmission is being used because of the need for a adapter plate.

I'd take on the project if I was retired too!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

it's been my observation that project vanagons don't sell for lots of money...no matter how clean it is. I suspect he'd be lucky to recoup 1/10 if his investment. that van going down the road isn't a big money van to begin with.

looks clean...but as it sits I would take the first 1500 someone flashed at me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hmmm

While I’m not far away, I am half heartedly seeking a Van and I do have space..... the electric portion is WAY over my head!

For free with a title, I could be enticed to go get it. I do have the Vanagon tow bar I made.......

Hmmmmm..........

Do it, Dave!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
the electric portion is WAY over my head!

But, until there is a battery in there you can't hurt yourself!

Wish this was closer, would be a cool project to finish off, although I'm sure the battery(s) will not be cheap Shocked

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Dave... I was hoping you’d save this thing from the yard.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Well, as Jeff suggested I called Chris and talked to him.

He's asking $1,000 for it.

Sadly, no title and I'm unclear about what electric components would be included.
He made it sound like they were going to electrify a Beetle. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I told him I was willing to save the Van but not having an engine, yanking it home and not having a title make the prospect of me taking it very very slim unless it is a zero or very low cost endeavor.

He's got my number, I said to call me if the scrap yard ends up being the option, that I would save it.
He mentioned he would tell the owner that I called.

I told him that hoping for a $1,000 for an engineless untitled vehicle is a bit of wishful thinking.

He ended up by saying that instead of just giving it away, he would be inclined to donate it and get a tax credit. I can only assume he means something like the Salvation Army or one of those Kars for Kids type places.
The end result would probably be the same, sold for scrap value.

Dave.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hmmm

Hmmmmm..........

was hoping you'd beat me to it...

BiWerks Design, LLC
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

I told Chris the same, it’s basically a free parts van for the amount of work needed to get it
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Then again ........

Maybe I'm not so anxious to go to Jersey City anyway! Shocked

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/gunshots-reported-jersey-city-neighborhood-67632175

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Then again ........

Maybe I'm not so anxious to go to Jersey City anyway! :shock:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/gunshots-reported-jersey-city-neighborhood-67632175

All that fuss is probably a diversion by some VW Vortex guys trying to get to the Vanagon before you guys.

I'm not really that insensitive. Just trying to keep it light.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Light can't penetrate that stuff. Confused

— Colin Chapman
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Project in Jersey City needs Saving; Electric Vanagon Reply with quote

Maybe I'm crazy but aren't the "coastal floodwaters" possibly a whole other bag of rust worms well beyond a missing engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: