Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

TheRide wrote:

i've found it goes much easier if you tilt the muffler end of the motor down and sort of "roll" the engine in place yes

Did you make that dolly or is that commercially available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

I got it on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-ENGINE-DOLLY-V...Sw~R1bO4aT

Note that a 3 ton jack like i am using is too tall to go under the engine when its on the dolly, i had to lay a piece of wood across to give more room.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by TheRide on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Right now i'm thinking i may leave the engine down to do the floor pans, it would be lighter to jack up to do the bottom welding. hmm.

I have the battery tray, the drivers side rear section and a 130 amp wire welder brand new on the ups truck

I have never welded a thing in my life so this will be an adventure.

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

New custom made seat from Germany for the Vespa

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

That Vespa seat is gorgeous! Where'd you get it made? My P200 needs an upgrade, the stock one is terrible.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

https://www.streamlineseats.de/site/en/Sport/modellcurve.html

Last edited by TheRide on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

I had so many ebay bux built up that I got this 130 amp welder for less than $30

Battery tray needs some trimming. getting there!

The 2 videos I watched to prepare for this job:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxuHomc716w
https://youtu.be/8ZNljY_d1OY?t=1
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

now for the drivers side ....

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Engine back in. Heat riser now works great but engine still runs bad. The 009 acts like the advance is super slow. Cranks fine, idles fine, goes down the road at speed fine at higher RPMs but off idle you have to feather the throttle to get it to rev up.

TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Took the engine back out since clutch chatter was still present. Replaced every clutch part with new and resurfaced flywheel as well as a new bowden tube and put a sleeve on the end to make sure it has plenty of bow. New main seal, flywheel o-ring and axle boots as well.

Chatter is gone. I think it was mostly due to the old bowden tube and a wasted pilot bearing and the TO bearing was rather loose as well. Old clutch disc and pressure plate look fine but you never know I guess. Replaced with a stock Sachs plate and a solid disc.

Love the torquemeister. I guess I didnt really need it since I have an air compressor and a good ingersoll-rand impact, but I have seen gland nuts break in half by putting them on with an impact. Better torque spec than sorry.

Installed a fresh restored Bosch 113 905 205AL distributor from VWNOS and the proper preheat tubes with proper clamps today. This distributor combined with the NOS genuine Brosol H30/31 carb pictured work fabulous together. A fresh label kit from Lane Russell makes engine time a wrap for Charlie. Leaving the ugly fuel pump for now, it works.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Nicely done , really enjoying your thread. I like your rubber mats in the front of the car, do they go over the carpet or are they just rubber for the front. I want to get away from carpet in the interior, the rubber is easier to keep clean and if the carpet does get wet some how that will just speed up the rust process.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

It's just one big rubber mat like what came in a '67 sedan originally. It goes over the carpet but you could easily put it over a bare floor no problem. WW makes one for the rear too. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863703A
altomster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Loving your thread and the fact that you're keeping it stock. Great job!
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Some specs for the 113AL distributor for those planning on using one, I am certainly happy I did. I chose it because VWNOS advised me it has the same advance curve as an 034, but it costs less.

113 905 205 AL = SVDA, 7.5° BTDC, hose off, mech. start 1050-1250rpm -> end 22-25° at 3800rpm, vac. start 60-100mmHg -> end 8-12° at 200mmHg

POINTS 01011
CONDENSER 02054
CAP 03010
ROTOR 04033
VAC CAN 1237121 461

Last edited by TheRide on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

How was your first welding experience with those two rear floor sections and the new welder? Could you develop a feel for the weld technique quickly and adjust the welder settings for effective beads/spots?

How much quicker were you able to remove, and then install the engine the 2nd time?

Paint for the outer rims: If you cannot find the Krylon ivory which was mentioned by robert hogaboam, an alternative would be Rust-O-Leum canvas white gloss. I used this paint last summer for a pair of 4-bolt wheels I was preparing for my '77; wanted to go with the "1969 look" which used the same wheel colors as the '67. I went for semi-gloss black for the centers. Am happy with the look.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
How was your first welding experience with those two rear floor sections and the new welder? Could you develop a feel for the weld technique quickly and adjust the welder settings for effective beads/spots?

It was back in July and it was sooo hot and humid, the mosquitos were biting me and the sweat was running into my eyes and it was just miserable. The welds are a mess, i'm so happy its in a place that is covered and cant be seen. The welder is sold. I'm too old for welding, I should have learned 30 years ago.

Quote:

How much quicker were you able to remove, and then install the engine the 2nd time?

Removed in about 20 minutes. It took longer to reinstall because the new bowden tube and sleeve has more bow in it and that made the cable shorter which made the TO bearing push on the pressure plate when I was reinstalling it because I put the adjuster back on in the same position it was in before with the old tube which made the cable too tight. It took me a bit to figure out what was going on. I backed the adjuster off all the way to the very end of the cable (whew just enough threads left!) and it finally slid home against the transmission. As luck would have it, the adjuster all the way to the end of the threads ended up being the perfect spot for the pedal.

Quote:

Paint for the outer rims: If you cannot find the Krylon ivory which was mentioned by robert hogaboam, an alternative would be Rust-O-Leum canvas white gloss.

How did you know? thanks!
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Charlie the 1967 Beetle Sedan thread Reply with quote

Found an H5 engine here in NC not 10 minutes away. 1500 single port. It doesn't turn but the generator does.

Very rare to find a ACVW motor for sale in central NC.

I have always wanted to build a motor from the bottom up. I have done top ends and heads before but never the bottom end.

I want to build an old school (1980s is old school to me) 1835 with baby webers like my VW mentor had in 1988 when I was 17 and he was 27 when I had my first beater '67. He had a Red 67 with an 1835 in it when I met him. We drove our VW's for Dominos pizza together, my first job. His GF had a 63 bug and they also has a 65 panel van that we used sometimes. Our Dominos was famous for having 3 beetles!

Considering that I am in humid and wet central NC, what would something like this be worth? it does not turn. No carb, distributor or fuel pump as you see.

What would you be willing to pay for an east coast 1500 core motor?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: