Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX) Reply with quote

It came from the Netherlands and Busman helped get it to me. I haven't had a chance to take a decent look at it yet due to the weather and time. It's currently on a trailer covered in ice and snow from driving in some nasty weather. Tomorrow morning it's off for its inspection.

It's a 1.6 TD. Odometer says 40 000km but it's a 5 digit odometer so I'm assuming it's at least 140 000km.

Pics of me picking it up at the shipping facility.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More to follow as I dig into it more and see what's what but my initial impressions are that I like the single cab but I am unsure of that large platform back. I think I would have prefered a normal sinka. Oh well, maybe it will grow on my.

Last edited by old_man on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

That's pretty cool.
Good luck with the project.
What's the connection to Westfalia?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
What's the connection to Westfalia?

The rear box is made by Westfalia. I meant it to be a bit of a joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

That's a pretty significant connection to Westfalia...

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

The box looks just like the style of the bay window westy trailers.

it looks great. i wanna see under that tarp!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Wow, that's a real beauty!!!

Wasn't that the one posted as for sale a few months back?

Congratulations!

— Colin Chapman
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Cool truck, we have one as well. An 89 with German Logos and a full sized tilt. Not as clean as yours, but single cabs are so useful. Look forward to seeing more of it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Congratulations!

Different one actually. The one for sale had metal sides (which I think look nicer) but was a little too rusty for what I wanted and wasn't a turbo. It was actually only 5 min from my house.

The one I bought came from a dealership in the Netherlands.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Lovely SiKa!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
E1 wrote:

Congratulations!

Different one actually. The one for sale had metal sides (which I think look nicer) but was a little too rusty for what I wanted and wasn't a turbo. It was actually only 5 min from my house.

The one I bought came from a dealership in the Netherlands.

Thanks, I recall the other one was rusty now...

Love your province, we spent three weeks there in 2000 photographing lighthouses. Cape d'Or is unbelievable!

— Colin Chapman
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Great looking ride there, congrats!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

Very cool! What year is it?

Looks to have a bombe tow hitch on it too. My import came with one - super solid.

Looking forward to seeing more if it.

(and love the blue car parked behind photobomb Shocked looks like elf feet)
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

It got inspected today, failed for loose bearings. I brought it home, repacked the front ones and tightened the axle nuts on the rear. That got it through inspection.

Here is the different mirrors that I have.

Only 40 000km! Judging from the dates/mileage on some maintenance stickers I think it's 140 000km. Still pretty good. That painted over switch use to be for fog lights I think. I'm not sure. It's a three positing switch and has a little orange light on the side that lights up when the switch is depressed. I don't know what it does. I also don't know what the green light is for on the far right.

It came with an hour meter.

Here's the business end. I think PO was a wood guy.

1.6TD

Can anyone tell me if this is mechanical or hyd lifters just from the shape of the head?

Timing belt is going to need changing. Should be fun.

The hitch, anyone know why kind of socket that is?

More carpentry skills, it's interesting. I don't know if I am going to keep.

Oh no....

The rest is not too bad. I going to spend a day spray all the cavities with fluid film. I might have to drill a hole or two on inside for access.

Lastly, I put some winter tires on. They are bigger than original but seeing as I will pretty much only be running empty during the winter I'm hoping it doesn't hurt me.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

That hitch is labeled as Westfalia, but they may just be re-badging Oris hitches.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Tres cool Sika -- what a great find!

Love the hour-meter -- Dad had installed one in that ole' Jimmy listed below. Nearly every engine and drive-train maintenance item was done to an engine-hours schedule...
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
...Only 40 000km! Judging from the dates/mileage on some maintenance stickers I think it's 140 000km....

...It came with an hour meter...

If it only has 140,000km then they either drove really slowly or idled a lot. 140,000km = 87,000 miles / 5185 hours = an average speed of 16.8 MPH.

Quote:
...Can anyone tell me if this is mechanical or hyd lifters just from the shape of the head?...

It is a mechanical head.

Quote:
...Timing belt is going to need changing. Should be fun...

If you haven't done one before, then research enough to know how to do every step correctly. Have the correct tools as well. Don't over-tighten the belt as it ruins intermediate shaft bearings and injection pump bushings. Don't use the belt twist method to gauge belt tension.

Fun vehicle.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Very cool Sinka and thanks for the close up pics, feel like i am in Europe. Very Happy
Is the green dash light maybe for an engine block heater/glow plug? Maybe the switch is for a previous fog light repurposed from a defroster switch? I'd keep the wood slide outs personally!

Love the Westfalia bed and hitch, it's very similar to the Burley Motorsport design in that it shoots into the frame and bolts through I think. Congrats on your new find, I remember the hunt weeks back.
--John
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

The socket for the trailer lights is a standard EU 7-'pin' connector.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+7+pin+trailer+socket+wiring+diagram

Good find. Smile
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

If it only has 140,000km then they either drove really slowly or idled a lot. 140,000km = 87,000 miles / 5185 hours = an average speed of 16.8 MPH.

It is a mechanical head.

If you haven't done one before, then research enough to know how to do every step correctly. Have the correct tools as well. Don't over-tighten the belt as it ruins intermediate shaft bearings and injection pump bushings. Don't use the belt twist method to gauge belt tension.

Fun vehicle.

Ya, I did the math after I posted and it doesn't work out. 240 probably.

Thanks for identifying the mechanical head. I guess I'm going to have to look for shims and the depressor tool. I missed out on an ebay deal because I wasn't sure what this 1.6 would have.

I've researched it. I've got the few tools coming in the mail soon but I didn't a belt tension gauge. The one video I watched seemed to have a built in gauge in the tensioner.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Cool rig.

I’ve been looking for a steering wheel spinner knob like that. Could you get the makers name off of it?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: