Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Thanks for identifying the mechanical head. I guess I'm going to have to look for shims and the depressor tool. I missed out on an ebay deal because I wasn't sure what this 1.6 would have.

Instead of purchasing a full shim kit, one thing you can do if you have just the depressor tool is measure each of the clearance, pull the shims individually, do the math on what is required to get to spec and order each of the correct shims from some place like Autohausaz.com. When the shims arrive, put them in the correct lifters.

The 1.6 tensioner does not have the built-in tension gauge. Those didn't come into play until the mid-90's for the AAZ and Mk3 TDI's.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

The 1.6 tensioner does not have the built-in tension gauge. Those didn't come into play until the mid-90's for the AAZ and Mk3 TDI's.

Thanks for the advice about the shims. What's your method for belt tension?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

This is edpowell's monster thread on the 1.6TD.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640611

Thankfully Ed has added an index at the beginning of it in order to make it easy to zoom to pages where a specific topic is discussed. It gives good details on timing belt procedures.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

30 km/ hour for a work truck in the Netherlands is very feasible.

They don’t drive stupid distances like us, there.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Congratulations! Thats one sweet ride! Love to have that in my driveway! Good luck with it, and enjoy it!
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

A few questions today.

1) Which is better? Block heater or bypass heater on the bypass hose? Where is the frost plug is best?

2)My coolant is green with almost blue tint. I plan on eventually replacing it should I flush it complely and go for the pink/purple VW stuff or just drain what I can and fill it back up with green stuff. My research indicates that because it's a diesel and not a WBX it's not as sensitive.

Oh, and good morning all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

My T3 dispel never had trouble starting in the -10 to - 25 F of the Finger Lakesin NY

Make sure you understand all three start modes of the diesel involving the glow plugs and the injection advance ( cold start ) knob

In the manual
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My T3 dispel never had trouble starting in the -10 to - 25 F of the Finger Lakesin NY

Make sure you understand all three start modes of the diesel involving the glow plugs and the injection advance ( cold start ) knob

In the manual

Don't get me wrong, it's not having problems starting. I just figured it would reduce wear and increase longevity. That's all.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
A few questions today.

1) Which is better? Block heater or bypass heater on the bypass hose? Where is the frost plug is best?

2)My coolant is green with almost blue tint. I plan on eventually replacing it should I flush it complely and go for the pink/purple VW stuff or just drain what I can and fill it back up with green stuff. My research indicates that because it's a diesel and not a WBX it's not as sensitive.

Oh, and good morning all.

Block heaters I think usually use a Freeze Plug location to be inserted into the block which has the potential to leak if not sealed properly or from the holes the wire coil uses to pass through the plug.
A heater on the bypass line is easier to install as it is just rubber hose & clamps plus finding a location for it to fit.
I think there might be a heater element you can fit down the oil dipstick tube, but have to find it.
As far as reducing wear and longetivity use the proper weight oil for the season and you can't go wrong...it's lasted this long hasn't it?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I used to use a dipstick heater at times in Denver -- mostly if at or below Zero F.

Couldn't be easier, provided one never forgets it's in there. Laughing

When pulled hot, though, it did smell like the oil was "cooking" somewhat. I'd imagine there's one out there that tempers the temp a bit to avoid that, imagine 100 degrees F would be about ideal.

— Colin Chapman
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

A freeze plug block heater does a much better job of warming the engine than the bypass hose heater does, especially with a vanagon (due to the tipped over install angle). Neither one is difficult to install.

old_man wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's not having problems starting. I just figured it would reduce wear and increase longevity. That's all.

You are correct. It also has the added benefit of nearly instantaneous passenger heat. Smile
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
A freeze plug block heater does a much better job of warming the engine than the bypass hose heater does, especially with a vanagon (due to the tipped over install angle). Neither one is difficult to install.

Is there a prefered freeze plug to install it in. This is my first liquid cool engine I am tinkering with in a long time so I may need a bit of help there. That and, for obvious reason, there is not as much info in 1.6D/TDs as there is for WBXs on this board.

Rust proofing today.......
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Any of the three will work. I usually opt for the center one for better heat distribution, unless there is something specifically in the way that makes installation into one of the other plugs easier. Not a big deal either way.

Pull the thermostat cover first so you don't get drenched. I pound a small punch into the center and then lever the plug sideways with either the punch or a larger screwdriver if necessary. Usually they pop out fairly easily, sometimes not so easily. Razz
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Really nice score!
Looks to be in great condition but get after those small rust areas ASAP. Especially in the rear. The sheet metal for the Sinkas and Dokas is scarce and expensive.
The Westy extension box is really cool and looks to be in good condition, rare for a work truck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
..That painted over switch use to be for fog lights I think. I'm not sure. It's a three positing switch and has a little orange light on the side that lights up when the switch is depressed. I don't know what it does.

Yes fog light. Middle indent is for front fog only and second indent is both front and rear with little light to remind your rear fog is on.

old_man wrote:
I also don't know what the green light is for on the far right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe it’s connected to your trailer hitch - indicates your trailer is lit when lights are on. Not 100% sure as I have not as yet fixed mine - a few wires have come out - pretty corroded (same connector as yours).

Also, be sure to post your freeze plug install. Like ?Waldo? mentioned, I found there were not many options to add an inline water heater that would flow through the block. A common spot is to add one on the oil cooler loop, but my doka has a oil cooler pump mounted in that location already (edit; I see yours does too) and didn’t want to figure out how to re-wire/re-relay the thing.

Very nice rig!
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

So today was the beginning of the rust proofing but first, a couple of things to get out of the way.

I bought some LM diesel purge and decided to try it out. Here it is running through the system. I feel like it started to idle nicer but that could just be it heating up. It didn't come out black like on some youtube videos.

I then changed the oil because I felt it looked disgusting. I have never owned a diesel, does it normally get this black. It looked like ink.

Here is my set up for spraying all the cavities. I elected to use Fluid Film because I like it's performance, I can get it locally, and it doesn't stink. I found heating it helps it flow so I bought a Star Wars crock pot at the local Value Village for $7.

Here is the front. I wanted to get all inside.

The door. I removed the door switch, a grommet at the back, and the vent thing in the actual door. I've been using a combination of the factory manual for rust proofing and my personal judgement.

In the belly I decided to remove the draws because they were in the way and he had mounted the slides incorrectly. By mounting the slides flat and on the bottom it greatly reduced it's load carrying capability. I also drilled two holes for better access. This is the only spot where i elected to drill holes.

In the rear I found some damage. I guess a nut or something stripped so the PO decided to use a block of wood for the backing to attach the side of the bumper. That was a mistake. Hint: do not use wood for auto body work, it traps moisture and rots. I now have a giant hole. Oh well.

This is the rear step up

Lots of giant cavities in behind the tail lights. I am thinking of how I could mount and intercooler and a oil cooler should the need arise.

Next is the underside.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Any of the three will work. I usually opt for the center one for better heat distribution, unless there is something specifically in the way that makes installation into one of the other plugs easier. Not a big deal either way.

I will go have to try to find them. I will probably do it as part of a coolant change. It's not too cold where I live now but I may be moving soon.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Yes fog light. Middle indent is for front fog only and second indent is both front and rear with little light to remind your rear fog is on.

That's what I figured. I am just puzzled because I don't have any fog lights.

Alaskaberrys wrote:

I believe it’s connected to your trailer hitch - indicates your trailer is lit when lights are on. Not 100% sure as I have not as yet fixed mine - a few wires have come out - pretty corroded (same connector as yours).

That would be interesting if it was. I have to find an adapter first though.

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Also, be sure to post your freeze plug install. Like ?Waldo? mentioned, I found there were not many options to add an inline water heater that would flow through the block. A common spot is to add one on the oil cooler loop, but my doka has a oil cooler pump mounted in that location already (edit; I see yours does too) and didn’t want to figure out how to re-wire/re-relay the thing.

Very nice rig!

The option I have for the inline is the bypass pipe that is right on top. Not sure if it is the same on your 1.9. I will probably go for a freeze plug. 36.5mm for the block heater right?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I then changed the oil because I felt it looked disgusting. I have never owned a diesel, does it normally get this black. It looked like ink.

Yes, that is normal. You'll find it turns black almost immediately after changing it.

It looks like your #1 injector is wet. A likely cause is the little jumper hose between injectors. If those leak, the fuel can drain back to the tank and it can take more cranking than necessary to start.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Yes, that is normal. You'll find it turns black almost immediately after changing it.

It looks like your #1 injector is wet. A likely cause is the little jumper hose between injectors. If those leak, the fuel can drain back to the tank and it can take more cranking than necessary to start.

Good, cause it did exactly that. Turned black after a 20 min drive.

Ya, I oversprayed some penetrante and it got on the inject. All is well.

So this evening started out well but then turn a little ugly.

Here is a picture of it on my hoist. It doesn't exactly fit, I can't get it all the way up. I think I am going to have to look up where the CofG is and try to move the sinka back a little.

Courtesy of the PO. I think it's going to be for sale soon.

Someone had issues with the clutch line. Numerous unions. I think the rust is evidence of spilt brake fluid.

Belly shots. Looks like a new tank. No rust in the saddle. It's in the middle of my rust proofing with FF.

This is where it went a little south. It's an exhaust leak. What's bad about it is that there is oil coming out. I did a quick patch job with a welder (won't survive too long).

I took off the intake. A bit of oil came out. I tried feeling for play but there was none. Only when I stuck some needle nose on the shaft could I get it to move. Even then it didn't feel like play/slop. More like deflection/bending of the shaft. I couldn't feel the movement, only see it. Do you think the turbo is toast?

Here it is. Any one got good sources for a CFRA/cartridge for a K14? I found a place in the UK.

I think I might get the exhaust fixed by a speed shop, I feel like sourcing and then shipping that exhaust over would be very expensive. I don't think rock auto will have it as it is a euro-spec part. Thoughts?

I still went for a drive. Accelerates very nicely but then hits a wall around 90. Almost feels like the turbo is bleeding off all it's boost. It topped out around 95 kph, which was the same as when I test drove a 1.6 NA single cab. Could a sticking waste gate do this? The only other thing I can think of is that I have bigger tires than stock. 215/65-16 (+5%). I figured it wouldn't make too much of a difference because I am going to be running around empty on those. I though the 1.6TD would be slightly quicker. Speed was taken using cell phone GPS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: