Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I've seen the 'emergency diesel lines' before but have never used one. They're about as expensive as a new set of 4 lines or 2X a used set so it has always seemed more prudent to have a spare set on hand. The 4 lines are all supposed to have the same length/internal volume and I imagine any flexible line will expand/contract even more than steel (affecting timing), so it has always seemed a less ideal option.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX) Reply with quote

I forgot to take pictures today.

I replaced the fuel lines today. I was going to finally shim the valves but by the time I got around to it the engine had cooled off a lot. Another day.

My diesel compression tester finally came in the mail. I got it off ebay, it's made in West Germany.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's neat because it gives you a little print out card with your results. My results were not too good. I am below spec.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Part of my problem was when I tried to hook up the jumper leads I broke the electrical lead tab off the starter. I had to pull the starter to fix it. So I then reverted to using the key to activate the starter during the compression test. I only let it go for 10 seconds so I am not sure if it had built up full pressure/compression. Also, I couldn't tighten down the adapter too much because of it's shape. It's designed to be used with an open end wrench which is not really possible on this style engine. Oh well, at least the results were somewhat consistent.

I ordered that diesel timing light set up. Does anyone (Waldo) how many degrees of advance these are suppose to be timed to or what they run best at?

Lastly, here is a video of me starting it in the morning after it has been cold soaked overnight in -22C weather. Twice I let go of the starter too early, I guess I am use to starting it with a block heater. Not sure if I had the cold start handle in or out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: