Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

Title says it all. I am having my case align bored and I'm interested in installing a full flow oil filter system. But I will be running stock exhaust and I understand that some of the available full flow systems aren't compatible with that. Can anyone recommend a solution that is? Thanks!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

I used factory Mexican oil pump w/filter, these are still available
Technically not full flow but it works well. CB makes an in and out cover but you’d need to drill and tap then run all the lines. Cost goes up.
I’m thinking [email protected]
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

Oh hey you're local.  Who's doing your machine work? 
Only guy I found was King's over in Burlington. 

I'm running a CB Performance Maxi2, same design as the Mexican version but with stock-sized gears; so much easier than a remote filter setup. 

Only issue is some of the aftermarket mufflers have the heat riser on the 'wrong' side, like mine -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are some other work arounds, but the simplest is to just replace the muffler

A note that if you go with the Maxi2 it requires you to shave the top fin for clearance to the pulley tin
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

as they just showed you , the clearance issues arise with the pump/filter combos and the heat riser tube...if you're drilling and tapping for full flow the hoses will clear any exhaust
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

I used an EMPI full flow and it has no interference with a stock muffler/heaterboxes.

It did, however, have some interference with the lower pulley tin, so I rounded the corners a bit with a grinder and pounded some relief shape into the back of the pulley tin.

When I replaced the stock muffler with an EMPI GT style stainless muffler, I had some interference with the brass outlet fitting and the header tubes, so I replaced the straight brass outlet fitting with a 45 degree brass fitting to point the hose a little down and towards the engine and that worked great.

I really like the full flow and I mount the spin-off filter under the fender behind the driver's rear wheel with an EMPI bumper bracket.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.

Last edited by Buggeee on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

full flow system should clear the exhaust system just fine. a plus of this is a larger filter is possible than the pump mount filter. if you need more cooling the full flow also lends itself easy to add a cooler to it. this maybe the case for bigger more heat producing engines, or severe uses.

pump mount filters can have issues with certain mufflers.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
as they just showed you , the clearance issues arise with the pump/filter combos and the heat riser tube...if you're drilling and tapping for full flow the hoses will clear any exhaust

Thank you--this is very clear. I am going to go with the full flow hosed setup!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

I'm running a CB Performance Maxi2, same design as the Mexican version but with stock-sized gears; so much easier than a remote filter setup. 

I shipped my case to Keith's in WV.

http://keithsautoparts.com

I couldn't find anyone in Raleigh or Durham. Does King's do engine balancing?

I really don't want the on-pump filter. I like the idea of having the filter remote so I have more flexibility with filter size, and the option for an additional cooler in the future.
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

Looks like they do almost everything, and they're only 40 minutes from me. Wish I'd found them before shipping off my case! Are you happy with the quality of their work?

I mostly use Hick's VW in Durham. They have an impressive parts selection, mostly good German or Brazilian parts, but they can't do machining. And since they can't balance an engine they've told me balancing a mostly-stock 1600 isn't necessary. But if I'm going to invest this much time and money on a rebuild, I think balancing it only makes sense. I don't ever want to crack that case again!
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
windfish wrote:

I shipped my case to Keith's in WV.

http://keithsautoparts.com

I couldn't find anyone in Raleigh or Durham. Does King's do engine balancing?
[...]
Looks like they do almost everything, and they're only 40 minutes from me. Wish I'd found them before shipping off my case! Are you happy with the quality of their work?

I mostly use Hick's VW in Durham. They have an impressive parts selection, mostly good German or Brazilian parts, but they can't do machining. And since they can't balance an engine they've told me balancing a mostly-stock 1600 isn't necessary. But if I'm going to invest this much time and money on a rebuild, I think balancing it only makes sense. I don't ever want to crack that case again!

Hah, I did the same thing.
Shipped my case off to Keith's for an align-bore then found King's, who did the balancing and assembled the new crank.

..And that was my thought as well, I'm this far in what's a couple hundred more in balancing.
Guy at King was super nice, this is my first rebuild and I ended up just bringing him everything and asked him to balance it, assemble the crank, and whatever else he thought needed doing.
A bit more expensive than Keith's, but no shipping.
I'm happy with both shops.. though honestly I have no way to verify any of the work. Both seemed competent.

But yeah, I've used Hicks for a couple things, Lonnie's has gotten more of my repair business 'cause he's more conveniently located. Great to have two shops in town.

I'm in final stages of engine assembly now, ish (slowest rebuild in the world)
Hope to see you on the road
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

Not even close to my “Slowest engine build in the world” 11/2017- 09/2019 Embarassed Wait a minute! Yours is a rebuild, maybe it is Wink Laughing Good luck to you both. Make it fun. And remember, “While you doing this you might as well do that” Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:

But yeah, I've used Hicks for a couple things, Lonnie's has gotten more of my repair business 'cause he's more conveniently located. Great to have two shops in town.

Hope to see you on the road

I hope to see you on the road too! My target completion date is early spring, but I'm also re-doing my entire interior and a new convertible top.

Lonnie is a professional, old-school VW mechanic. He'll do it right, won't cut corners, and charges reasonable prices for high quality work. He redid my entire front end right after I got June Bug. But he left a completely rotten steering rack bellows on it (despite telling me he'd replace it) and didn't tell me when I picked it up. Turns out he couldn't get the part on time, but if he'd told me that I'd have waited gladly. Now I have to drop the front end again at some point to install that.

With Hick's, you get a more pragmatic approach to getting on the road again. They don't believe in going original stock. They laughed at what I spent on a rebuilt 34PICT-3 and SVDA distributor, because they think they can just re-jet a Chinese clone carb and get it running great with a cheap 009 (and I'm sure they usually can). They frown at balancing engines and they think full flow oil coolers are a waste of money. I get their perspective, which is to get it running for minimal investment, drive it, and rebuild it when it needs it. But their parts supply for RDU area is unmatched, and they'll shoot the shit all day with you and show you how to do stuff right there in their shop.

Both are great resources for different reasons, and you're right it's awesome to have two in the area. I'm sorta surprised there isn't also a shop in Carrboro with all those damn UNC hippies...
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow oil filter setup compatible with stock exhaust? Reply with quote

Quote:
“While you're doing this you might as well do that”

Those words are emblazoned upon the "Event Horizon" of the Black Hole that is VW rebuild/repair/restoration!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: